Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Amanda87

  1. I applied for a graduate or research assistantship for the program I'll be attending for my master's degree. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about inquiring about the status of my application. We were told awards would generally be given out by the end of May. Is it too early to check in and ask when I might find out? I would like to ask if it seems appropriate, but I also don't want to ask and seem too eager and therefore make me a less appealing candidate. I think a I have a pretty good shot because the school is small and they have a pretty good amount of graduate/research assistantships. 

    Thanks for any feedback.

  2. On 2/24/2017 at 8:46 AM, hanndema said:

    Hey y'all! Just got my acceptance letter from Boston College :) So far, their scholarship is the best I've been offered (also applied to Michigan and Denver). Very much considering Boston now, especially since they have a global practice concentration, and my goal is to work with refugee and immigrants!

    I just made the mistake of looking at rent prices on Trulia, and woah... 2000$ a month for a studio!!? I didn't even know rent could be that expensive. (I'm currently playing 450$ a month for a one bedroom, and last year I was paying 250$ with a roommate...) Are there any towns or suburbs in commuting distance from Boston College with lower cost of living, or is that just what I should expect in Massachusetts? 

    Yeah this is awful. If anyone wants to look into being roommates in Salem, please let me know. I'm already stressing over finding an affordable place with two small dogs. :wacko:

  3. On 2/23/2017 at 1:55 PM, tuxedobird10 said:

    Thanks for your reply! I've gotten the scholarship award letter in the mail with my acceptance but not the information on loans/work study that I quality for. Have you heard anything about that yet? 

    Hey! I have not gotten anything yet, but I didn't check my mail yesterday. I'm thinking I should get my letter any day now.

  4. 17 minutes ago, tuxedobird10 said:

    Has anyone gotten a financial aid award letter that goes through the cost of attendance and everything?  I've been accepted to BC  and I'd love to go but I'm waiting on that information.. 

    Apparently they send it in the mail about a week after you get the email. The award letter is supposed to be behind the acceptance letter.

  5. On 2/22/2017 at 0:38 PM, HaleyWantstobeaTherapist said:

    BC raised my scholarship amount to more than anyone else has offered. Now I'm rethinking ? But I only have until Friday to respond to them and Loyola won't give me my scholarship amount until after March 1st. I'm not sure what to do! 

    One thing a friend of mine told me: if you want to go ahead and pay the BC deposit, but want to still may consider Loyola, then maybe add the deposit you'd make to BC to the amount of money Loyola would need to offer you. I think its $300 at BC, so just add $300 on whatever number you'd want from Loyola.

  6. 1 hour ago, taracot said:


    Ah ok, thanks everyone! Since I'm an undergrad I already have an Agora account and I'm confused where the application would be. Not sure why they would tell us we'd get an email from the social work school then if they wound up not sending it to you guys. 

    You get an email to set up agora if you aren't a student and they say they received it. As far as I can tell though, that was only when I submitted the application online, not when they got the other materials. 

  7. 10 hours ago, taracot said:

    I have a question for those who applied to BC: When did you get an email from the school of social work that your application was confirmed? I sent mine in on 2/15, I checked my application again yesterday to make sure my final recommender submitted her letter, and I accidentally submitted it again and got another email from embark saying it was submitted. How long should I wait for the email to come? It said it could take a few business days because it's a busy time.  

    I didn't get an email about my application being complete either. It drove me crazy. I wish agora would have had something (like a checklist) just so you can know that they received everything. I swear I checked my submitted documents like 5 separate times to make sure they were all there with the list on the admissions page for what they needed. 

  8. I think that's all great ways to make your decisions. I actually made mine officially on Saturday. It was so funny, I was so, so anxious about making this decision and hearing from BC. I finally heard from BC on Friday, which I was thrilled about, but then I knew I wanted to go to Salem State. I had been agonizing over the decision for about a month and a half, making pro/con lists, etc. A lot of it was a financial decision, even though I don't know what BC has offered me yet. I think I'll get some offer of a merit scholarship, but I doubt that it would make the cost of attendance cheaper than Salem State. I also think I have a good shot at an assistantship at SSU. 

    There was that, and the two schools for me were really close as far as which I preferred. I had a really great talk with a friend about all of this and he pointed out that while I was trying to compare the two schools, it was hard to compare because they were so different. It was one of those things, those cliche things, where you just know when you know. Of course, no one could have convinced me that would happen before it did, and I also think I only got to that point because I did put in a lot of thought about deciding prior to finding out the BC decision.

  9. On 2/18/2017 at 5:06 PM, alisham said:

    Congrats on your decision, Amanda! I'm sure it feels incredibly freeing to have finally made the decision of where you're going to school.  I, unfortunately, am still deciding and will be until UConn gives me financial aid info.  But I'm about 70-30 in favor of Boston College at the moment.

    Thank you! It feels really awesome. Hopefully it'll just be another week or two so you can decide. 


    23 hours ago, taracot said:


    Thank you!

  10. I decided to go to Salem State!! I haven't even gotten the financial info from BC, but I decided it's where I really want to be. I think I'll have more opportunities in a smaller sized program vs a larger program with a lot more competition. I'm so happy. I hope you all get to decide soon too!

  11. Hey guys. I'm really starting to think about just going ahead and accepting SSU, even though I haven't heard back from BC. They didn't even bother to return my phone call after I left a message the other day. I'm just thinking that no matter what they offer me, SSU is going to be cheaper. I've made lists of pros/cons/other considerations and for me to even keep considering BC I'd need to get a really large scholarship offer. Even still, if that were offered, I would still be really considering SSU. I'm going to have coffee/tea with one of my references/someone who has a background in social work later today so talking things out with him will be very helpful. I think my last day I should send in my acceptance to SSU is next Wednesday, to allow time for the mail to get there by 02/28. As always, any thoughts are appreciated. 

  12. 17 minutes ago, taracot said:

    That's good to know! I'm not a Mass resident, but I can look into Salem State. I don't know much about the area, though. I applied to schools in cities because I don't have my license (hopefully I will soon, but I wouldn't have a car). Salem State seems like a good match for you!

    Thanks! I will have a car, but I plan to not drive to anything related to school. There are bus routes that go to Salem, so you can get to Boston that way. There is also a commuter rail that's really nice (I rode it when I visited), but it would be really expensive to take every day. You can get a T pass (excluding commuter rails) and buses for unlimited use for about $80 a month. It's normally $85, but college students get around a 10% discount! 

    I'm not a MA resident either, so I'll be figuring everything out once I'm there!! 

  13. Hi everyone! I wanted to start a thread specifically regarding decision about MSW programs and picking between multiple offers. I thought it would be nice to have a place for this, specifically for the MSW folks (and I hope someone else hasn't already started a thread like this). 

    My current decision is really going to come down to picking between Boston College and Salem State University. I got a really generous scholarship offer from Wheelock College last night for $20,000 total in scholarship money (total for the degree program), but that still would mean WC would be more expensive than SSU. I like SSU's program a lot better. So I can safely say I've eliminated WC.

    On the other hand, Boston College is my favorite, but Salem State is a very, very close second. I think (I hope) I have a good shot at an assistantship at SSU, which would be the best-case scenario. I've also decided I would need to have a pretty big scholarship offer from BC to make it affordable. I feel as if I can wait out BC until next Monday before I need to start really panicking. BC sends an email notification first and then mails a scholarship letter after the email, so I wouldn't know for probably another week after getting an email about financial aid. I'd say BC has a slim chance of meeting my needed merit scholarship, but I have read where what I would need has been offered. If I haven't heard by next week, maybe Wednesday, should I accept SSU? I know I may have an option for an extension from SSU, but I don't want to ask until I know I need to, and even then they might say no.  I guess I'm just looking for any feedback here.

    Please also write in with your decision making process! This forum has been really helpful for the past few months!

  14. 1 hour ago, taracot said:

    I'm having trouble with it as well. I'll already have loans from undergrad, so I want to minimize debt as much as possible. I'm kind of wishing I had better guidance on finding programs with good aid, I pretty much applied on my own. 

    I'm looking only at programs in the Boston area and I've been pretty impressed by Salem State's program. From everything I've read, the placements are the same as BC/Simmons/other local program students and the cost is a lot less. I got a really good scholarship offer from Wheelock last night in the mail but it still doesn't make up the difference in cost vs SSU. I think they accept applications later than other programs too. 

  15. 2 hours ago, taracot said:

    Hi everyone! My name is Tara and I'm a current BC student who applied to Simmons and is waiting to hear back, and is about to apply to BC. I'm from NY and got into Fordham today (with minimal aid) and am waiting to hear back from Hunter.

    I'm worried that I'm applying to BC too late, even though the deadline is March 1st and it's not rolling admissions. Since I'm coming right out of undergrad, I really can't afford BC or Simmons without a scholarship.

    Congrats to everyone in this thread! :)


    Good luck with everything!! Let us know how it goes. :)

  16. Hey guys! I got a really generous merit scholarship from Wheelock College last night in the mail. I don't think it's enough to make it cost less than SSU though. Still, it feels really great to know a school thinks highly of my application! I'm still waiting to hear anything from BC, they haven't even called me back from the admissions office :/.

  17. 49 minutes ago, alisham said:

    So, I was all set to discard Boston College from my list because it's too expensive, but I just got my acceptance packet and have been offered a pretty decent scholarship, which would probably make it doable.  Definitely tight, but doable.  I'd still have to take out Stafford loans for living expenses AND work my ass off at a part-time job to afford the high cost of living, though, unless I could get a GA or work-study.  So, now, I'm making a pro and con list for both BC and UConn, while hoping UConn starts sending out financial aid info soon.  I also might plan a visit to Boston College in a few weeks to get a feel for the campus. Unfortunately, I can't do that at UConn because they're in the midst of moving to another location that they're still building.

    I made my pro and con list last week without the offer yet that I'll hopefully get! Let me know if you want to compare notes, feel free to send me a message. :)

  18. I'm going to call BC today at my lunchtime to try to see when I might find out my decision. Tomorrow will make it so I only have two weeks to reply to SSU, but I assume it'll take at least a week for any award notice to come in the mail. Hopefully they can let me know when I can expect a decision so I can ask SSU for an extension if I have to, but I really hope I won't have to. 

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.