Jump to content

jonliu

Members
  • Content Count

    27
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About jonliu

  • Rank
    Decaf

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Man
  • Application Season
    2020 Fall
  • Program
    Political Science

Recent Profile Visitors

384 profile views
  1. Makes sense, but I'm mainly talking about East Asia since I'm more familiar with the region. They love hiring those with degrees from the US/UK, plus a lot of courses are offered in English nowadays. It's not hard to find foreign faculty in universities in those countries, and a lot of domestic faculty members in those countries also hold US/UK degrees, most of the time from well known programs too. I'm not so sure about other parts of the world tho.
  2. Yeah you should definitely ask. My guess is that they've already made their decision.
  3. Have you checked your application portal? Updates could be posted there without them informing you about it, it sometimes happens. If nothing there, you should definitely email the DGS and ask. Considering it is already the end of April, I'd assume all decisions have been made. Which program are you applying to? I actually applied to their political science program, but for some reason was rejected literally a week after I submitted my application, which I thought was odd because I thought I was a great fit and the fact that the program is not ranked that high (I was waitlisted by much hi
  4. I'd love to hear more about this too, it sounds pretty scary... I think you should just email your department/DGS directly and see what's up? Correct me if I'm wrong, usually there are two "decisions" for graduate admissions: the department makes the initial decision, then the graduate school of the university makes the second and final decision. I've always thought the second step involves double checking eligibility/transcripts and sort of finalize the whole thing. I guess speaking to the DGS directly would be more helpful in this situation? If they say you're admitted then there shouldn't b
  5. ^What I've been pondering lately. It may not matter as much for those already physically in the US right now. But since I'm currently all the way in Asia, it'd be very hard to have classes online due to the time difference. I'm just really hoping the quality of our education won't be compromised too much if we are forced to start our grad studies online
  6. Well, withdrawing from a commitment is never ideal, unless it's absolutely necessary to do so (e.g., personal illness or changes in family situation, etc.). The faculty from that program will likely not be happy about it. But at the end of the day, you gotta do what you need to do, as choosing the right program to attend is probably one of the most important decisions we'll make in our lives. So if that's what you end up doing, be as polite as you possibly can and apologize.
  7. I would say, from an ethical perspective, your situation is *a little* better than the normal "accept now, back out later" situation, because you went from having little or no funding from one program to being offered an acceptable amount of funding. That changes things. Of course the faculty at the first school may not be thrilled about it, but if you feel like you must change your mind, it's best to just be honest and let them know that the funding situation has changed, and they'll probably understand.
  8. Hey guys, this may be a stupid question, but when should we accept/decline an offer on the 15th? Generally speaking, is it okay to wait until 11:59 PM to make a decision? Or should we decide by, say, 5 PM, before the faculty gets off from work? I'm currently on two waitlists and am hoping to hear from them before the 15th ends, and I'm not looking to do the whole "accept now, back out later" thing. Also, how normal is it to ask the program that offered you admission for an extension? I've seen people call it disrespectful because you're basically telling them that they're only a back
  9. If you are sure that you won't be attending, it's best that you decline the offer and leave the spot for someone on the waitlist. Accepting an offer only to back out later is disrespectful to say the least. It's something you can do, but really shouldn't. But of course people have different ideas about this, with many on this forum suggesting that it's both normal and fine. After all it's one of the most important decisions many of us will ever make in our lives, so if you really feel like that's what you should do, then do it. Though my suggestion is to only do it if you have a very good reas
  10. It's a vicious cycle: everyone is waiting for everyone else to accept/decline, leaving those on the waitlist wondering what in the world is going on. There's not much we can really do besides waiting for those with offers to make a decision, while they themselves wait for still others if they are also on waitlists. That's just how it works, and it's not rare at all to receive results after the 15th. But it's good to know that you have other options on the table, especially during these tough times. It's also very common to apply a second time around or even third time. Grad school applica
  11. With only a few days left until the 15th, I would definitely suggest shooting them an email. Let them know that you have an offer already and politely ask them if a decision will be made by the deadline so you will have the opportunity to make an informed decision on your end. I can only imagine how busy faculty/administration have been in dealing with the switch to distance learning, so some delays in admission decisions is understandable I guess. To be honest, if I were you, I would have emailed the DGS at those programs in March just to see what's up. Different people have differen
  12. This question has appeared a lot lately, and based on what a lot of people have been saying, it seems like in light of the economic impact of the coronavirus, the number of grad school applications will likely see a significant increase in the coming years, and as such admissions will become very competitive. Not to mention some programs will probably have smaller cohorts in the coming years along with decreased funding. Of course I don't know for sure, it's probably better to ask faculty members directly and see what they think? I'm guessing public universities will be hit harder. To som
  13. The DGS of a program I'm still waiting to hear from told me he'll "definitely get back to [me] before the April 15 deadline" in mid-March when I inquired about it. So I'll take it as he actually means it?
  14. WOW. But they did say they'll allow those affected to defer until next year or have their applications considered in a more favorable manner should they decide to decline and reapply. I mean it still sucks for those affected, but given the situation that the world is facing right now, I'd say it's somewhat understandable? Or am I being too lenient?
  15. Hey guys, OP here. So the DGS of the program (the one mentioned above as well as in a couple other posts, some of you may be aware) just emailed me and told me she had nominated me for a fellowship award designated for incoming grad students. Not sure how competitive it is but it's still great news nonetheless. The thing is, I have not accepted my offer yet as I'm still waiting to hear back from another program. So what should I write to her in response besides thank you? It's just a bit awkward considering I haven't committed myself to the program yet... Any suggestions will be greatly a
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.