Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'behavioral neuroscience'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Comment Card
    • Announcements
  • The Cafe
    • City Guide
    • IHOG: International House of Grads
    • The Lobby
  • Applying to Graduate School
    • The April 15th is this week! Freak-out forum.
    • Applications
    • Questions and Answers
    • Waiting it Out
    • Decisions, Decisions
    • The Bank
  • Grad School Life
    • Meet and Greet
    • Officially Grads
    • Coursework, Advising, and Exams
    • Research
    • Teaching
    • Writing, Presenting and Publishing
    • Jobs
  • The Menu
    • Applied Sciences & Mathematics
    • Arts
    • Humanities
    • Interdisciplinary Studies
    • Life Sciences
    • Physical Sciences
    • Professional Programs
    • Social Sciences

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL









Found 6 results

  1. Hi everyone, So I've been admitted into three Masters programs for Experimental Psychology and I need help deciding. A little background. I applied to a few programs last year while I was still in undergrad and was accepted into two programs. One was a sub-field that I ultimately decided not to go into, and another was an almost perfect offer (great school, nearby, involved faculty...) but with a 25k price tag for the education per year alone with no available funding which would have meant that I needed to take out a lot of loans. I decided not to enroll in either program and instead took a job as a research technician at a very prominent institution that promised me I would be able to continue being a researcher while I was here. I won't go into details, but this position hasn't been great, and I really need to leave. Luckily I have the problem of getting into three programs. I need to pick one before the universal April 15th deadline and I'm very nervous about the choice. Program A Pros:Very well known school and program, excellent faculty. It's in the same state that i live in, so less tuition cost Cons: Located near a major city which means life cost may be larger. No word yet on tuition remissions or stipends. High tuition costs if no remission. Fairly high cost of living. No official word on who my PI would be, which is odd. I was waitlisted at this program last year. There is a possibility for a stipend, but funding decisions have not been made known to me yet. Speaking from a strictly educational standpoint, this would be my first choice program. The faculty research is right up my alley and the program itself seems fantastic. I am going to the Admitted Students day this coming Saturday and will be inquiring about stipends and tuition remission when I go. If there aren't any form of stipend or tuition remission made available to me, I doubt that I will be able to afford this program as it would amount to being about the same cost as the program from the year before. Program B Pros: Seemingly perfect PI. Research interests align very well. Guaranteed stipend (small, but will cover housing at least) Cons: Several states away. Lesser known school. No tuition remission available, and out of state tuition would be applied. I received a personal email from my potential PI, who seems just what i'm looking for in terms of personality and research fit, but they also warned me about a few things. They haven't taken on a new grad student in a while and the ultimate student outcome is a little hit or miss. The stipend that I would receive is a little more than 5k, and the PI is the only one doing this type of research in the program, so they fear I would be isolated from the rest of my cohort if I accepted. (Not actually a concern for me. I am no stranger to being the only one in my program doing different research. My undergrad PI was one of only two neuro researchers, everything else was very clinical oriented). Program C Pros: Well matched research interests. Potential for TA/GA/RA with partial or full tuition remission and a small stipend of 4, 6, to 10k depending on which assistantship and if I can do two (20hr) instead of one (10hr). Nearby to where I am currently living. Cons: Haven't really had any contact with the PI yet. Assistantship is not guarenteed. The way I was informed of my acceptance is a little odd to me. I was emailed by a student (probably an office worker) notifying me of the acceptance and was given additional details about the program and GA/TA positions. I just received the official letter in the mail today and there is no additional information and only included the official letter and the acceptance/rejection notification form that I need to fill out and return to them. I'm a little stuck here. If cost wasn't an issue for me, then I'd probably go to program A for the rigor and reputation of the program. Personally I like the PI at program B, but there's no tuition remission and I would be taking a considerable amount of loans out to pay for it. The PI at Program B has warned me that they don't consider paying for a masters degree a good option if the applicant has any other offers, which I tend to agree with. Program C has the potential for tuition remission and a stipend, but it's not guaranteed, and I haven't had contact with the PI. That last part can and will be fixed shortly. I am going to email the PI from program C, just to introduce myself and ask a few questions about their lab, but I am still at a crossroads either way. Any comments or opposing viewpoints are welcome!
  2. Hello all! I thought of posting this out of curiosity in everyone's decision for this application cycle. Those of you who received offers, congrats! Have you made your decisions in choosing which school to attend this fall? I am still waiting to hear back so I am not eligible to post anything yet (will come running and post my decision when I hear back the good news *fingers crossed*). Please come and share your exciting news! Where are you headed this fall?
  3. I've got a wonderful problem: I've been accepted to two PhD programs and have no idea which one will be the best fit for me long term. They're both through departments of psychology; one at Miami University in Oxford, OH with a focus in Behavioral Neuroscience, and one at Wayne State University in Detroit, MI in the area of Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience. My problem is this: I'm in love with the research at Wayne but intrigued by the plusher setup Miami is offering. Both programs are well ranked and there aren't any red flags for either. Does anyone have any advice for how to make this decision and/or any insight into what the programs may be like beyond the little taste I got at my interviews? I'm very torn and while I'm leaning towards Wayne very slightly (think, 97% undecided) based on the research I'd be doing, Miami has a much nicer campus, updated lab space, and is closer to my family. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
  4. Hi! I'm going to be a senior undergrad and was wondering how competitive of an applicant I am to get into a (behavioral) Neuroscience PhD program. I was also wondering what I should do to improve my application. Some stats: Major: Dual- Psychology (honors) and Neuroscience Minor: Fine Arts Overall GPA: 3.6 (will rise to about 3.65 by graduation) In-Majors GPA: 3.75 Research: 3.5 years Grants: URA (undergraduate research award) GRE (not taken yet...assuming I score average) Extra Curricular Activities: Biology Tutor (1 semester), Resident Assistant (RA) (1 year) Presented at a URC (undergraduate research conference) Will also have a Senior Honors Thesis in which I will have conducted my own experiment I would really appreciate constructive criticism; anything to improve my application will help!
  5. Hello! I was wondering if anyone here has applied to/heard back from the Psychology department at Brock University in St. Catharines, Ontario. I visited back in October and was told that their "graduate applicant day" is usually held at the end of January. Here we are in the middle of January and I have not yet received an invite (nor have I seen any posts about Brock). Getting nervous!
  6. Hi everyone! I applied to 10 PhD programs in Neuroscience for admission in Fall 2016. I have yet to hear from two schools, but they have had their interview weekends, so I have accepted the fact that I have been rejected from all of them. I definitely aimed too high, but I'm not sure where else to apply. I want to do research in neurodegenerative diseases and I've found that lower tier schools do not have labs with this research. I have four years of research experience in behavioral neuroscience (addiction and fear learning) with three publications and more to come. So, here are the numbers: BA from Boston University in 2014 with honors for completing a senior thesis Overall GPA: 3.23 Major GPA: 3.3 with a very large upward trend in my last two years (semester GPAs of 3.4 or above) GRE: V 155 67% Q 152 48% W 4 56% I took the GRE a second time and did worse. I do not do well on standardized tests and I'm not sure I'll be able to do better on this. I know numbers wise I'm not strong, but I have great research experience and I know I can be successful. Any advice will be very greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.