Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'declining'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Comment Card
    • Announcements
  • The Cafe
    • City Guide
    • IHOG: International House of Grads
    • The Lobby
  • Applying to Graduate School
    • The April 15th is this week! Freak-out forum.
    • Applications
    • Questions and Answers
    • Waiting it Out
    • Decisions, Decisions
    • The Bank
  • Grad School Life
    • Meet and Greet
    • Officially Grads
    • Coursework, Advising, and Exams
    • Research
    • Teaching
    • Writing, Presenting and Publishing
    • Jobs
  • The Menu
    • Applied Sciences & Mathematics
    • Arts
    • Humanities
    • Interdisciplinary Studies
    • Life Sciences
    • Physical Sciences
    • Professional Programs
    • Social Sciences


  • An Optimist's PhD Blog
  • coyabean's Blog
  • Saved for a Rainy Day
  • To infinity and beyond
  • captiv8ed's Blog
  • Pea-Jay's Educational Journey
  • Procrastinating
  • alexis' Blog
  • grassroots and bamboo shoots.
  • Ridgey's blog
  • ScreamingHairyArmadillo's Blog
  • amyeray's Blog
  • Blemo Girl's Guide to Grad School
  • Psychdork's Blog
  • missesENG's Blog
  • bgk's Blog
  • Tall Chai Latte's blog
  • PhD is for Chumps
  • bloggin'
  • NY or KY
  • Deadlines Blog Ferment
  • Going All In
  • In Itinere ad Eruditus
  • Adventures in Grad School-ing
  • inafuturelife
  • The Alchemist's Path
  • The Rocking Blog
  • And Here We Go!
  • Presbygeek's Blog
  • zennin' it
  • Magical Mystery Tour
  • A Beggar's Blog
  • A Senseless Game
  • Jumping into the Fray
  • Asian Studies Masters
  • Around the Block Again
  • A complicated affair
  • Click My Heels Three Times and Get In
  • dimanche0829's Blog
  • Computer Science Crossed Fingers
  • To the Lighthouse
  • Blog of Abnormally Aberrant
  • MissMoneyJenny's Blog
  • Two Masters, an Archive and Tea
  • 20/20 Hindsight
  • Right Now I'm A-Roaming
  • A Future Historian's Journey to PhD
  • St Andrews Lynx's Blog
  • Amerz's Blog
  • Musings of a Biotech Babe
  • TheFez's Blog
  • PhD, Please!
  • Blooming Ecologist
  • Brittle Ductile Transitions
  • Pleiotropic Notions
  • EdTech Enthusiast
  • The Many Flavors of Rhetoric
  • Expanding Horizons
  • Yes, and...
  • Flailing Upward
  • Traumatized, Exhausted, and Still Going
  • Straight Outta Undergrad!
  • A Hitchhikers Guide to Transferring PhD Programs
  • Conquering College Admissions
  • Reflections of an Older Student.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL









Found 9 results

  1. @hopefulSLP2be7 started a thread like this last year (for American Applicants) for those “who are playing the waiting game... Please post here if you are DECLINING your acceptance OR waitlist position at a school. This will HELP people get a better idea of their situation! Thanks to everyone who participates! Congrats to all the SLPs to be!”
  2. Saw that @hopefulSLP2be7 started a thread like this last year for those “who are playing the waiting game... Please post here if you are DECLINING your acceptance OR waitlist position at a school. This will HELP people get a better idea of their situation! Thanks to everyone who participates! Congrats to all the SLPs to be!”
  3. Hello all! So, I’m sorry if this is an extremely obvious question but I figured I would ask it here instead of bugging my support network again. I was accepted to three different schools and made my final choice Friday. However, I’m stuck now writing my letters declining my offers at the other two. I know the formal declining letter should go to the email address indicated on the original letter. My question is: should I email the POI separately to thank them specifically for their time or is just having them CCed to the formal declining letter sufficient. I really don’t want to be annoying. I also want to do those quickly considering it took me this long to make the decision at all. Also! I assumed replying to the original email with the offer was the best way to do this. However, one of my offers was sent by the department secretary (normal) who emailed me this week alerting me that they were leaving the position and to address any questions regarding the offer to another person. Should I still reply to that original offer email (as a reply all) or write a new email altogether? I feel bad enough declining offers when they were very accommodating of me in the first place and I want to do this properly.
  4. I applied for a large handful of graduate programs this cycle (mostly Master's programs)--15 to be precise. My last choice school (15 out of 15) keeps losing parts of my application and asking me to re-send them over and over. Now they say they never received my GRE scores from ETS, even though I've provided documentation showing the date when ETS sent the scores to the department. The school is asking me to pay to re-send the GRE scores to them a second time. At this point, since I already have several offers from much better programs, and not wanting to pay $29 to re-send my GRE scores a second time to a program I no longer have any intention of attending, is it okay for me to email them and withdraw my application before they've notified me of a decision? I would hate for them to waste any more time on reviewing my application if I'm definitely not going to be attending their Master's program. What is the nicest and most professional way to communicate this to them?
  5. Hi. I'm a CS student (Bachelor's + Master's), who got accepted to Princeton for a CS PhD (Machine learning). I'd applied to a ton of other places (ten in total), but got rejected from all of them (apart from an MS in Data Science at CMU which I rejected for various reasons). Now, I wanted to defer the PhD for a year, since having been in academia for pretty much all my life, I think it might make sense to see how the tech functions in the "real world": a perspective I don't think I gained enough during my internships or undergrad. I also wanted to do this because I'm a little tired of academia at this point, and a long term goal of mine is to create real world impact: which might be easier in startups/industry than by doing theoretical machine learning in the academy. Unfortunately, I recently found out that Princeton CS does not allow deferrals, so I'd have to reapply next year with the risk of not getting accepted. A prof also mentioned that there's no guarantee that I'd get accepted again if I were to apply next year. However, the graduate coordinator told me that 1-2 students do this every year, and said they understand my reasons for wanting to take a break. She also mentioned that of the three'd who declined to reapply in the past three years, there was only one who reapplied (and was successful). So there isn't really enough data to assign any good probability value to my chances next year. Given all of this, do you guys think it makes sense to grab what I have and try getting practical experience via internships (of which there would be a good number for an ML student) over the next two years, and then figure if I want to continue in academia on the way? The problems the Princeton guys work on are definitely very exciting to me, but I'm not sure I want to spend the next five years in academia at this stage in life. It's pertinent to note that ML PhDs seem to be very competitive (ten rejects hurt the ego more than I thought they would). Also, my profile might not improve terribly during the next cycle: right now, there are no publications, but there are a bunch of projects, courses and academic awards, and a Master's thesis is in the offing. Thanks, and do hit me up for more clarifications!
  6. I have officially made my decision on which grad school to attend! Accepting was easy, but now I officially have to decline another offer-- a moment I have been dreading. I really liked the other program and the work of the faculty member is outstanding. This was honestly the most difficult decision of my entire life, and I almost feel the need to voice that to her. Does anyone have any advice on how to structure an email to a faculty member declining their offer? I am a bad judge on when I've said "too much" or "too little" and I feel like my emails always turn out sounding strange, awkward, or rude. I would appreciate some examples of phrases you all have used in your experiences! Thank you!
  7. Saw some other majors that had a thread for people to post where they chose to accept and which school they are declining. Thought it might be interesting to see!
  8. Saw some other majors that had a thread for people to post where they chose to accept and which school they are declining. Thought it might be interesting to see!
  9. I fear I have made a huge mistake. Since high school it has been my plan to attend graduate school to get my PhD in psychology. I could not get accepted into a Clinical PhD program, so this year I applied to PhD and MA programs. Well I got accepted by one. I think I was so excited I quickly accepted without really taking into consideration what it would mean. I already have $40,000 in student loans from undergrad, which I do not regret. But I will have to take out $40k more for my MA program and that doesn't even include living expenses. I just don't think I am willing to take out $60k more in loans, when I haven't even had experience related to the field. My college has not asked for anything: no deposits, no signatures...nothing. I spoke with my thesis advisor over the phone today just as a quick brainstorm meeting. But that has been it. I have not seen any of the research assistant funding I was promised in my financial aid either, so that doesn't help either (not to mention it's probably only $6-8k per year). I feel like I need time to A: figure out if I really want to rack up this much debt by exploring the field and B: save up more money to try and make this a more realistic situation if I do decide this is what I want to do. So to conclude, here are my big questions: 1. It's almost June and I accepted my offer at the end of March (25th) is it too late to back out? I have never backed out of anything in my life, but I do not see how this will be financially possible for me to survive . 2. How does one back out of an accepted offer? Do I speak with my advisor, the head of the department, or just grad admissions? (Although I would obviously let my advisor know)
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.