Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'defer'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Comment Card
    • Announcements
  • The Cafe
    • City Guide
    • IHOG: International House of Grads
    • The Lobby
  • Applying to Graduate School
    • The April 15th is this week! Freak-out forum.
    • Applications
    • Questions and Answers
    • Waiting it Out
    • Decisions, Decisions
    • The Bank
  • Grad School Life
    • Meet and Greet
    • Officially Grads
    • Coursework, Advising, and Exams
    • Research
    • Teaching
    • Writing, Presenting and Publishing
    • Jobs
  • The Menu
    • Applied Sciences & Mathematics
    • Arts
    • Humanities
    • Interdisciplinary Studies
    • Life Sciences
    • Physical Sciences
    • Professional Programs
    • Social Sciences

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Pronouns


Location


Interests


Program

Found 10 results

  1. Alright, I've talked to a few people about this but I'm really looking for someone who can help me tip the scales at all on making this decision. Any and all opinions welcome! I applied to a bunch of Ph.D. programs this past fall 2020 for fall 2021 under one of the following depending on the school chem bio/bio-analytical/nucleic acid biochemistry, knowing I'd graduate in Dec. 2020 (paid for by my grad school prep program for undergrads which I'm not apart of anymore since graduating). I wanted to get some industry experience in my time off and have found myself accepting a prestigious 12-month long internship at a national lab doing very interdisciplinary stuff under chemical engineering but they'll put me on more biochem projects once this one has taken off. The last intern actually stayed 18 months until he left for grad school and left with 5 publications and 3 patents. Getting a couple of publications within the next year would be reasonable. So my choices are 1) going through all the interviews and visitation weekends now (during the beginning of the internship, which they are flexible and letting me take days off to do) to accept and defer one school from the pool of acceptances or 2) reapply next season, pay for all the apps myself, with a lot of new experience under my belt and on my resume. My internship PI said he has a 100% success rate of getting his students into their grad school of choice. I don't know what to do! I was thinking of deferring several places but I don't want that to reflect poorly on me from different universities and PI's perspectives. I also don't want to have to face any backlash from denying an acceptance and then reapplying next year. For some context on my qualifications, I have ~3 years of research experience, so far accepted or invited to interview at University of Michigan-Ann Arbor chemistry (2nd choice?), West Virginia University (desperately want me to start ASAP, paid), University of Washington biochem, and UC-Davis for chem where they offered an additional $5,000 stipend to come. So far rejected from UCSF Tetrad (top choice), University of Minnesota-Twin Cities chem, and UC-Davis chem.
  2. Hey, cafe-goers! I find myself in a weird position with my grad school apps (don't we all?). Here's my current breakdown. All of these programs are related to industrial-organizational psychology (but not necessarily named that): 1) I'm waitlisted at Columbia (!!!) 2) I've been rejected at Wisconsin, but only because of a 1-year budget shortfall. They've strongly encouraged me to apply again. 3) I've been accepted to Claremont Graduate University...to their MA program. The catch? The program isn't funded. And I have a masters in another field. While I'm waiting to find out if I get off of the waitlist at Columbia, I'm trying to decide what to do about my other options. Should I pay for the second MA, get a credential in the right field, and reapply to other programs? Should I defer for a year at CGU, go back to work, and apply again with the academic credentials I have? The program at CGU looks AMAZING, and I've seen firsthand that the students are getting a great education. But if I pay for an MA...I'm worried that will put a PhD financially out of reach. What do you think?
  3. If you're anything like me, you're thinking "jeez I haven't heard back/gotten accepted anywhere yet....wth will I do this fall?" In my desire to have some sort of a plan (if only for being able to work towards something and remain sane), I've thought of a thousand other things I'd like to/plan to do if I don't end up going to graduate school. Some are silly (biologist-turned-celebrity-chef) and some are legitimate (gain more research experience and network), but all have the potential to be extremely valid come graduation in a few months. What about you?
  4. I have a question about the CGS April 15 Resolution and I am looking for advice. Both school A and school B are members of CGS. I am just wondering if it is legitimate to accept school A’s offer and defer school B’s offer? The reason is that I am not very certain if school A is a right fit but want to give it a try for one year. School B has a defer option (but says you need to get a departmental approval for the deferral and the deferral will be considered again together with later year's applicants). Thank you in advance!
  5. Hey all, I'm writhing in the end throes of application-cycle purgatory over here and was hoping for a little bit of advice. (Going for an MFA in Creative Writing - Fiction.) I've been accepted to Northwestern's MFA program so far. However, it's a part-time program, which means funding is limited or nonexistent. The part-time thing isn't really a deal-breaker for me; I was planning on working during school anyway, so in that sense it might be a good fit for me. I am worried, though that I won't get the full MFA experience that I'm looking for. I'm also not opposed to taking out more loans, but I'd rather avoid those to the extent that it's possible. I'm considering deferring til next cycle to apply again and hopefully make it into something full-time with more funding. I guess I'm looking for advice/guidance on full-time vs part-time programs, insights on Northwestern's program in particular, and information about alternative sources of funding (such as private scholarships/grants). To complicate the situation even more, I'm still waiting for an admission decision from the University of Washington in Seattle. I'm thinking that the fact that I haven't heard anything this late in the game probably means a rejection, but still...
  6. Hey everyone, I just received a great offer for my first choice master's program at Johns Hopkins. I'm elated, but going into this application cycle, I had actually planned to defer for a year in order to subdue my student loans a bit, earn some money and hopefully do some volunteering. My idea for the year is to join the Americorps NCCC. It's something I've wanted to do since high school, and as I'm about to be 24, the cutoff age for being a team member in the program, now seems like the perfect time. They also offer an education grant after completion that would put me in a much better financial position to enter grad school. Tulane made my deferral as easy as a quick email to my advisor, while University of Colorado gave me no choice on the matter, stating that I must reapply next year if I don't matriculate. However, JHU requests that a "detailed letter" be sent to the admissions office with my reasons for requesting a deferral. My question is, to anyone with deferral experience, do you believe that the reasons listed above would qualify as "acceptable" to an admissions counsel? I'm aware that nearly all students entering grad school are pressed for money, so I'm not really sure if economic matters are viable reasons for deferral, or if it's mainly saved for students with more acute issues. Any insight is much appreciated!
  7. ClassApp

    Deferral?

    Hello! As we're all figuring out our plans for next year, I have a question that doesn't seem to have come up yet. What's the deal with deferrals? It seems that few graduate departments have their deferral policies listed on their website, and certainly no mention is made of it at visiting weekends so far. I know that our cohort sizes are quite small, so discouraging deferrals to an extent makes sense--but to what extent are they discouraged? What are acceptable reasons for deferring, if any? I haven't made my decision about graduate school yet, and I don't want to frighten any grad schools by asking about this and making them think I won't come next year (I do intend to attend grad school next year... but there is another great 1 year thing--originally a back up plan--that I'm waiting to hear about). Help?
  8. What do you guys think of deferring my acceptance to start in the spring instead of the fall? I really want to take one semester off and since the curriculum of the school I am choosing to go to is pretty flexible. Should I ask? Has anyone ever done this before? Thanks!
  9. Hi All, I have an offer to a funded doctoral program that I am very keen to enroll in, but have had to defer for a year due to personal circumstances. The program was very understanding and accepted my request, but let me know that funding is not guaranteed next year as it is handled by a different department. I am a bit worried about pressing the matter as it was incredibly generous of them to allow me to defer. What is everyone's experience with this situation? How likely am I to get any funding after my deferral? (as a note--I don't know how competitive the program is, but it is a bit niche so it's not like I will be competing with a Harvard or Columbia grad pool next year)
  10. Hello, Does deferring admission to a school mean that you have to attend that school? Or can I defer and then apply to other places? Thanks!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.