Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'deferal'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Comment Card
    • Announcements
  • The Cafe
    • City Guide
    • IHOG: International House of Grads
    • The Lobby
  • Applying to Graduate School
    • The April 15th is this week! Freak-out forum.
    • Applications
    • Questions and Answers
    • Waiting it Out
    • Decisions, Decisions
    • The Bank
  • Grad School Life
    • Meet and Greet
    • Officially Grads
    • Coursework, Advising, and Exams
    • Research
    • Teaching
    • Writing, Presenting and Publishing
    • Jobs
  • The Menu
    • Applied Sciences & Mathematics
    • Arts
    • Humanities
    • Interdisciplinary Studies
    • Life Sciences
    • Physical Sciences
    • Professional Programs
    • Social Sciences

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Pronouns


Location


Interests


Program

Found 2 results

  1. Alright, I've talked to a few people about this but I'm really looking for someone who can help me tip the scales at all on making this decision. Any and all opinions welcome! I applied to a bunch of Ph.D. programs this past fall 2020 for fall 2021 under one of the following depending on the school chem bio/bio-analytical/nucleic acid biochemistry, knowing I'd graduate in Dec. 2020 (paid for by my grad school prep program for undergrads which I'm not apart of anymore since graduating). I wanted to get some industry experience in my time off and have found myself accepting a prestigious 12-month long internship at a national lab doing very interdisciplinary stuff under chemical engineering but they'll put me on more biochem projects once this one has taken off. The last intern actually stayed 18 months until he left for grad school and left with 5 publications and 3 patents. Getting a couple of publications within the next year would be reasonable. So my choices are 1) going through all the interviews and visitation weekends now (during the beginning of the internship, which they are flexible and letting me take days off to do) to accept and defer one school from the pool of acceptances or 2) reapply next season, pay for all the apps myself, with a lot of new experience under my belt and on my resume. My internship PI said he has a 100% success rate of getting his students into their grad school of choice. I don't know what to do! I was thinking of deferring several places but I don't want that to reflect poorly on me from different universities and PI's perspectives. I also don't want to have to face any backlash from denying an acceptance and then reapplying next year. For some context on my qualifications, I have ~3 years of research experience, so far accepted or invited to interview at University of Michigan-Ann Arbor chemistry (2nd choice?), West Virginia University (desperately want me to start ASAP, paid), University of Washington biochem, and UC-Davis for chem where they offered an additional $5,000 stipend to come. So far rejected from UCSF Tetrad (top choice), University of Minnesota-Twin Cities chem, and UC-Davis chem.
  2. Hi guys. I have a question about deferring admission that probably has been asked so many times already, so I want to apologize in advance. I just feel that my situation has a slightly different angle and would like some advice. Let's just say I am a B candidate. Not an A+, not a C-, but somewhere in the middle. I have been applying to many M.S. programs at B's and C's schools for next Fall semester. Then the "D" school came along inviting me to apply to their M.S. program with a fee waiver (thanks to the annoying GRE Search Service). But this program is for a different term, i.e., Spring, not Fall. Long story short, I caved and applied to the D school and now I got accepted with no funding. Now, just so you know I am really grateful, and yes I would be happy to enroll at the D school if nothing else come along. Also, I am working and has no time constraint. I can quit work to attend school any time whether it is Spring or Fall. But I have already submitted 5 applications to the B's and C's schools and won't hear the decision from them until next Feb or March. I mean, I spent hundreds of dollars on those applications, and I really want to know the decision from those schools. My problem is timing (and I admit, poor judgment) because I wouldn't be in this situation today if I would just pay the darn fee and apply for the Fall semester at the D school. So what I really want to do is deferring admission at the D school by a semester so that I get to hear decisions from B's and C's. I would have to pay the $500 deposit, and would probably lose it if I go to one of the B's and C's schools instead (which is not ideal but I am prepared to do so). Should I even mention my dilemma to the D school or should I just defer their admission and pay? I don't want the D school to think that they are my fall back school, although that is precisely what I think of them at the moment. I am hoping it is more common that people defer admission, decide not to attend,and then forfeit a deposit, because I certainly don't want to be one of the select few who are ever known to do it.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.