Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'deposit'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Comment Card
    • Announcements
    • Comments, Questions, Etc.
  • The Cafe
    • City Guide
    • IHOG: International House of Grads
    • The Lobby
  • Applying to Graduate School
    • The April 15th is this week! Freak-out forum.
    • Applications
    • Questions and Answers
    • Waiting it Out
    • Decisions, Decisions
    • The Bank
  • Grad School Life
    • Meet and Greet
    • Officially Grads
    • Coursework, Advising, and Exams
    • Research
    • Teaching
    • Writing, Presenting and Publishing
    • Jobs
  • The Menu
    • Applied Sciences & Mathematics
    • Arts
    • Humanities
    • Interdisciplinary Studies
    • Life Sciences
    • Physical Sciences
    • Professional Programs
    • Social Sciences

Blogs

  • An Optimist's PhD Blog
  • coyabean's Blog
  • Saved for a Rainy Day
  • To infinity and beyond
  • captiv8ed's Blog
  • Pea-Jay's Educational Journey
  • Procrastinating
  • alexis' Blog
  • grassroots and bamboo shoots.
  • Ridgey's blog
  • ScreamingHairyArmadillo's Blog
  • amyeray's Blog
  • Blemo Girl's Guide to Grad School
  • Psychdork's Blog
  • missesENG's Blog
  • bgk's Blog
  • Tall Chai Latte's blog
  • PhD is for Chumps
  • bloggin'
  • NY or KY
  • Deadlines Blog Ferment
  • Going All In
  • In Itinere ad Eruditus
  • Adventures in Grad School-ing
  • inafuturelife
  • The Alchemist's Path
  • The Rocking Blog
  • And Here We Go!
  • Presbygeek's Blog
  • zennin' it
  • Magical Mystery Tour
  • A Beggar's Blog
  • A Senseless Game
  • Jumping into the Fray
  • Asian Studies Masters
  • Around the Block Again
  • A complicated affair
  • Click My Heels Three Times and Get In
  • dimanche0829's Blog
  • Computer Science Crossed Fingers
  • To the Lighthouse
  • Blog of Abnormally Aberrant
  • MissMoneyJenny's Blog
  • Two Masters, an Archive and Tea
  • 20/20 Hindsight
  • Right Now I'm A-Roaming
  • A Future Historian's Journey to PhD
  • St Andrews Lynx's Blog
  • Amerz's Blog
  • Musings of a Biotech Babe
  • TheFez's Blog
  • PhD, Please!
  • Blooming Ecologist
  • Brittle Ductile Transitions
  • Pleiotropic Notions
  • EdTech Enthusiast
  • The Many Flavors of Rhetoric
  • Expanding Horizons
  • Yes, and...
  • Flailing Upward
  • Traumatized, Exhausted, and Still Going
  • Straight Outta Undergrad!
  • A Hitchhikers Guide to Transferring PhD Programs
  • Conquering College Admissions
  • Reflections of an Older Student.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Pronouns


Location


Interests


Program

Found 9 results

  1. zmr1234

    Multiple Deposits?

    Was wondering about putting down multiple deposits at schools. My partner is applying to law schools and is still waiting to hear back from some, and likely will hear back after I will have to commit to a school. Is it ok to put down deposits at multiple schools? Obviously I would lose that deposit if I chose not to attend that school, but wanted to make sure there wasn't some overall institutional policy that prevents me from doing this. Thanks in advance!
  2. I got accepted into a MPH program. However, I'm waiting for other schools to get back to me. The issue is that the MPH program that I was accepted to expects me to turn in a commitment deposit 3 weeks after I have received the acceptance notice. Just out of curiosity, would it be an issue if I paid the deposit to secure my seat, and then decide to pay the deposit for another school if I get accepted there?
  3. AllisonAL

    Deposit to Secure spot..

    I was accepted into NYU MSW program, a mere two weeks after I submitted my application. NYU only gave me 4 weeks to accept or decline the offer. They ask for a non-refundable deposit of $300. I am still waiting to hear back from every single other school I've applied to. Can I pay the deposit, and later, perhaps, decide to go elsewhere? Will other schools know of my acceptance?
  4. I currently have 2 offers for an M.S. without financial aid (Fall 17) and I am waiting to hear the results from 3 more schools. My situation is - School A gave me a 1-month deadline from the offer date to make a decision, and if I say yes then I have to pay a deposit. After that, I will need to send a copy of my passport along with the financial docs for them to issue my I-20. - School B said I have been recommended for admission, and the next step is for me to mail in a copy of passports and financial docs for them. Then my I-20 will arrive with the official acceptance packet. They did not mention anything about me notifying them with a yes/no response, or the deadline that I must abide by, or the need for a deposit. I called and asked if there was a hard deadline for the financial docs and they said there really wasn't one either. So school A and B are the safety schools for me. I really hope to hear good news from the remaining 3 schools. I heard that some people would just say yes to multiple schools, get multiple I-20 documents, and make the final decision by declining the offers that they don't want later. My problem is that I just don't want all these schools to have a copy of my passport and bank account info if it turns out that I will not attend there. Plus my spouse will be going with me, so they will also have a copy of my spouse's passport too if I want an i-20 from them. I am just not comfortable with the idea because I think it could be a privacy issue. And then there is the issue of paying a non-refundable deposit to hold your place. Since the timeline for the decision will spread out over the next few months, I just hate the idea of paying a deposit on safety school as a fallback plan. Do all schools really follow that April 15th deadline? Does it apply to an admission without financial aid? My plan right now is to wait a month to see if other school's results will come through. If any of you have a good risk management process for dealing with multiple offers, please share. Thanks.
  5. Hi guys. I have a question about deferring admission that probably has been asked so many times already, so I want to apologize in advance. I just feel that my situation has a slightly different angle and would like some advice. Let's just say I am a B candidate. Not an A+, not a C-, but somewhere in the middle. I have been applying to many M.S. programs at B's and C's schools for next Fall semester. Then the "D" school came along inviting me to apply to their M.S. program with a fee waiver (thanks to the annoying GRE Search Service). But this program is for a different term, i.e., Spring, not Fall. Long story short, I caved and applied to the D school and now I got accepted with no funding. Now, just so you know I am really grateful, and yes I would be happy to enroll at the D school if nothing else come along. Also, I am working and has no time constraint. I can quit work to attend school any time whether it is Spring or Fall. But I have already submitted 5 applications to the B's and C's schools and won't hear the decision from them until next Feb or March. I mean, I spent hundreds of dollars on those applications, and I really want to know the decision from those schools. My problem is timing (and I admit, poor judgment) because I wouldn't be in this situation today if I would just pay the darn fee and apply for the Fall semester at the D school. So what I really want to do is deferring admission at the D school by a semester so that I get to hear decisions from B's and C's. I would have to pay the $500 deposit, and would probably lose it if I go to one of the B's and C's schools instead (which is not ideal but I am prepared to do so). Should I even mention my dilemma to the D school or should I just defer their admission and pay? I don't want the D school to think that they are my fall back school, although that is precisely what I think of them at the moment. I am hoping it is more common that people defer admission, decide not to attend,and then forfeit a deposit, because I certainly don't want to be one of the select few who are ever known to do it.
  6. I received admission letter for NEU Boston CS(general) program in 2017 spring. The deadline for the deposit is today(10/21/2016), but I received email yesterday told me I have to transfer to Settle campus otherwise I could defer to 2017 fall (because they don't need too much students in Boston campus). I really want to stay in Boston, what I can do? By the way, if there anyone could refer me in NEU boston?
  7. I've been admitted to Northeastern's PhD in CS program with a fellowship offer that I need to accept by the 15th by paying a $100 deposit by that date. The problem is I'm still waiting to hear from USC and NYU Tandon. NEU has also asked me to send an email confirmation by the 15th. I'm really unsure as to what to do. I don't want to wait past the deadline and lose the amazing offer that NEU has made but I also don't want to commit to NEU and then find out I got into one of the other two (I know it's unlikely to receive funding this late but you never know). If I pay the deposit and confirm by email (I can send the corresponding signed official offer acceptance documents later), can I then change my decision? If anyone has been through similar experiences, please help! Thanks.
  8. soldierhead

    Drawn on a US Bank for Internationals

    Hi all, I'm from India and I recently got a PhD admit from Northeastern University. Before enrolling, I'm required to pay a $100 USD tuition deposit. However, they've instructed that "All checks must be issued in US$ and be drawn on a U.S. Bank." Being from India, I of course don't have an account with a US bank. So how am I supposed to pay this deposit? Any one else face this problem? If so, how did you resolve it? Thanks in advance.
  9. cskvchang

    Graduate school decision

    Hi, all. I got an offer for a master's program at a decent university. They ask me to make my decision and submit a deposit by March 1st. But I am pretty sure that all my other schools will respond in late March or early April. And it is unlikely that they will give me an extension for submitting my deposit. I am thinking that I first submit the deposit by the deadline and wait for other schools. If there is a better school that accepts me, I will just go to the new school. If no one else accepts me, I will attend this school. I was wondering whether there will be a severe consequence if I submit my deposit and later choose to attend another school. Thanks!
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.