Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'developemental psychology'.
Found 2 results
Hi all! I am contemplating between two sets of GRE scores: V 159/Q 167/AW 3.5 vs. V 155/Q same/AW 4.0. I did NOT expect AW 3.5 for the first set and scheduled a second set asa I got the first scores but apparently I suck at writing stuff under 30 mins. - Undergrad GPA 3.5 from one of the most competitive schools - 3 co-author publications, 1 first-author manuscript in progress (will submit the draft as academic writing sample), 5 first-author posters - Extensive research experience from undergrad + 3yrs post-bacc in a psych lab - 3 letter writers explicitly promised strong letters I truly believe that my AW scores do not represent my writing skills. So I've initially considered sending the first set, hoping that my other materials will show beyond the AW scores. But I am now worried if the schools have "hidden" cut-off scores and will drop my application wo giving a proper review? All of the schools that I am applying to indicate that they have "no minimum or cut-off scores for GRE" but I am also hearing that the admissions committees still have some "hidden" cut-off scores in mind. What do you guys think? Which one should I submit?
(Reposting in the psych forum for additional opinions) So I was accepted off the waitlist to the one Developmental Psych PhD program I got an interview at (CUNY Grad Center). The research interest isn't an exact match, but I could probably shape it enough to be okay with it and I would gain skills in tech that I need (eye tracking). My main issues are that the stipend is crap for living in NYC ($26k, though with savings I have I would be very able to supplement this) and that the classes are at the center in the middle of NYC and the lab is on Staten Island. The first thing anyone tells me when I mention this is the horrible commute (often 2 hours each way when the subway and ferry cooperate) and that there's no good place to live that's in the middle of those two locations. I also have a car and am terrified of figuring out how to have a car in the City. If the research was exactly my interest I would be more willing to look past these issues. I feel like if I took a year or two off and did more relevant research to my interests and gained experience in eye tracking and neuroimaging I could get into a better program with closer research interests. I don't really know CUNY's ranking/prestige, but I gather it's not fantastic (insight on this would be appreciated). One of my main hesitations is that I don't have a job currently that would allow me to get more experience in those technologies (though I do have a job and could continue to support myself after graduation this May) and I am hesitant to reject the offer without a research job in place. I did receive an email today about a possible post bac through the NIH, so that might be an option... I also don't want to be the jerk who keeps the program and the waitlist waiting until the April 15 deadline. But there's no guarantee I'll know about a job by then... I had an interview for a post bac fellowship that I LOVED the research for (and just found out I didn't get the position) and after seeing a program I love, I feel like I'd be settling for this PhD program. I don't want to get a year or two into it and realize I don't like the decision I made. Advice?