Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'extension'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Comment Card
    • Announcements
    • Forum Feedback
  • The Cafe
    • City Guide
    • IHOG: International House of Grads
    • The Lobby
  • Applying to Graduate School
    • The April 15th is this week! Freak-out forum.
    • Applications
    • Questions and Answers
    • Waiting it Out
    • Decisions, Decisions
    • The Bank
  • Grad School Life
    • Meet and Greet
    • Officially Grads
    • Coursework, Advising, and Exams
    • Research
    • Teaching
    • Writing, Presenting and Publishing
    • Jobs
  • The Menu
    • Applied Sciences & Mathematics
    • Arts
    • Humanities
    • Interdisciplinary Studies
    • Life Sciences
    • Physical Sciences
    • Professional Programs
    • Social Sciences

Blogs

  • An Optimist's PhD Blog
  • coyabean's Blog
  • Saved for a Rainy Day
  • To infinity and beyond
  • captiv8ed's Blog
  • Pea-Jay's Educational Journey
  • Procrastinating
  • alexis' Blog
  • grassroots and bamboo shoots.
  • Ridgey's blog
  • ScreamingHairyArmadillo's Blog
  • amyeray's Blog
  • Blemo Girl's Guide to Grad School
  • Psychdork's Blog
  • missesENG's Blog
  • bgk's Blog
  • Tall Chai Latte's blog
  • PhD is for Chumps
  • bloggin'
  • NY or KY
  • Deadlines Blog Ferment
  • Going All In
  • In Itinere ad Eruditus
  • Adventures in Grad School-ing
  • inafuturelife
  • The Alchemist's Path
  • The Rocking Blog
  • And Here We Go!
  • Presbygeek's Blog
  • zennin' it
  • Magical Mystery Tour
  • A Beggar's Blog
  • A Senseless Game
  • Jumping into the Fray
  • Asian Studies Masters
  • Around the Block Again
  • A complicated affair
  • Click My Heels Three Times and Get In
  • dimanche0829's Blog
  • Computer Science Crossed Fingers
  • To the Lighthouse
  • Blog of Abnormally Aberrant
  • MissMoneyJenny's Blog
  • Two Masters, an Archive and Tea
  • 20/20 Hindsight
  • Right Now I'm A-Roaming
  • A Future Historian's Journey to PhD
  • St Andrews Lynx's Blog
  • Amerz's Blog
  • Musings of a Biotech Babe
  • TheFez's Blog
  • PhD, Please!
  • Blooming Ecologist
  • Brittle Ductile Transitions
  • Pleiotropic Notions
  • EdTech Enthusiast
  • The Many Flavors of Rhetoric
  • Expanding Horizons
  • Yes, and...
  • Flailing Upward
  • Traumatized, Exhausted, and Still Going
  • Straight Outta Undergrad!
  • A Hitchhikers Guide to Transferring PhD Programs
  • Conquering College Admissions
  • Reflections of an Older Student.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Pronouns


Location


Interests


Program

Found 5 results

  1. Hello everyone, I would appreciate any sort of advice for my troubles here. For the longest time, I have had 1 acceptance from the many schools I applied to: UCI. When I went and visited I loved it there and all the people within the program. During this time, I found out I was waitlisted at University of Michigan (which originally was one of my top schools to attend). Here comes my problem: Michigan recently informally told me they are planning to extend an offer. UCI wants their response by April 15th. As of right now, Michigan has not officially extended the offer yet. Even if they were to, I don't know if I would feel comfortable accepting without having the chance to visit the campus and meet the personnel within the program (I know I will most likely love it there, but I just can't be too careful since I'll be spending the next 5 years of my life there). In the best case scenario, they give the offer on Monday and then that leaves very little time to plan a trip over before April 15th. I am sure that Michigan would be more than willing to have a longer deadline; however, I don't want to deny UCI by banking on the fact that I would accept Michigan on the chance that I don't like it over there. So I guess my question is what should I do? I have emailed my points of contact at Michigan explaining my predicament last week and haven't received a response yet. Would it be a poor move to ask UCI for an extension? Is it possible that they would rescind my offer for asking? I apologize if that is a naive question - I am just completely out of my element here.
  2. Hey all! I've just been informed that I received an assistantship at University A that I'm really excited about. It covers a fair portion of tuition and has me doing some really unique work. It's a great opportunity, but I'm still in the running for a similar assistantship/ scholarship at University B. Unfortunately, University B has stated that their decisions are slated to be released late April/ early May, and University A is asking for a decision by the end of this week (April 5th). Though I'm excited, I'm obviously extremely reluctant to commit to anything before I have all the information in my hands! Would it be inappropriate to contact University A and ask for a deadline extension? And, perhaps more importantly, has anyone had success with being granted an extension in a similar situation? Thanks in advance!
  3. I was accepted into a master program, but the deadline to accept or decline is approaching. I have not yet heard from two other schools that are closer in location to where I live, so I would not have to pay for housing. I would not feel right about rescinding an offer, but I do not want to lose it either. Is it acceptable to ask for an extension?
  4. Hi, I just received a funded offer for graduate school but the deadline is the 10th, this Canadian school doesn't follow the CGS rules I guess. I have competing US offers on the 15th but I still haven't visited this Canadian school and one of my US schools yet. I would very much prefer to push this deadline to the 15th, so I have time to visit both schools and make a good decision. What is the best way for me to ask for an extension? By phone or email? Who is the best contact for this, the graduate program director or the administrative assistant?
  5. Hi All, I am completely new here as a member, even though I have been following this forum for a couple of years now. I am currently in my 2nd year of my 2-year MA program. I am supposed to submit my thesis next week. However, I believe I am far from done, and I can't really see the end of this anytime soon. First of all, I should admit that I do find the subject exciting, and I was really fascinated with it when I first started planning it. Last winter, I did an internship at the place on which my thesis is about (a UNESCO world heritage site)-I had been trying to get that opportunity for about a year before that, as they have too many applications each year and they are only considering a few each time. However, I feel like I am trapped now-I had started with a pretty vague concept, which I tried to narrow down during the semester, but I believe I was just lost in the subject and the literature. When I was done with the research part and sat down to write, I think I had too many little issues to deal with, that I could not connect with the material I had. Even on the rare occassion that I could finally find a connection between a theory and my material, my supervisor would dismiss it as irrelevant or that it doesn't make any sense to her. Desperately trying to find that one theoretical framework that could work on my case, I ended up with 200+ articles/books in which I was completely, absolutely lost when I was trying to write. My supervisor was also part of the problem; when I submitted a draft of my paper, she said that while my empirical material is very interesting, I had problems with being explicit about what I was trying to say, and had told me that she was really surprised by that because from previous dissertations she knew that I was a strong writer...however, every time I was expressing my concerns to her, she would just propose some more books/sources on the topic and not much constructive comments on the paper itself. I now feel absolutely stuck. I have taken two years to study abroad, in an expensive country where it is nearly impossible for an international to get a simple job and in which I have no close friends or family to turn to for emotional support...the funny thing is that when I was beginning with my thesis, I was thinking that "going underground" with not much contact with people would be great, so that I could concentrate on my work. The result was quite the opposite; I felt isolated and lonely, and most of the semester I was feeling like I was on the verge of having a panic attack/meltdown... What I am facing now is this; since I am going to use up my first submission attempt, I will be given an additional 3-month period to complete and re-submit. During these 3 months, I am also required to make a new supervision plan, which means that I will need to make changes to my thesis statement to begin with (even though I'll have to stay within the same subject) and have the same supervisor that I have now (who, by the way, I am almost 100% sure that is going to be really disappointed with this whole thing). The thing is that I am not sure if that's enough time for me to try and finish it up and still have a relatively good paper at the end, or if I should just drop out and go back home with no degree...I just feel extremely guilty towards my family, who has been highly supportive of me throughout my studies, and I feel like I'm letting them down now. I'm even thinking of not letting them know at this point but only if I submit my thesis on the new deadline, by the end of October... Does anyone else here have had a similar experience? What would you advise me to do?
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.