Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'job offer'.
If I got a job offer ($55K+) in my field of interest (philanthropy) before hearing back from any/all the programs I applied to, do you think I should take the job offer instead and decline/defer grad school to apply again in future, decline the job offer and go to grad school, or try to do the grad program part-time while working? I am in the interview process for 3 organizations that I'm decently excited about. And mindful that the avg salary upon graduating from many of the programs I applied for is $50-70K anyways.. Paying for classes, exposure to professors & new network, capstone & short-term ... VS... Getting paid for FT work experience Applied (haven't heard back from any yet): USC-Price MPA, UT Austin-LBJ MPAff (both DC and Austin programs), NYU-Wagner MPA, UW-Evans MPA, Brandeis-Heller MPP/Social Impact MBA dual degree, Georgetown-McCourt MPP I sought out programs with a strong foundation in: nonprofit management, public management, policy & data analysis, program evaluation, policy writing, fundraising, philanthropy. Strong connections to philanthropy and state/local govt in my cities of interest (see below) Experiential learning opportunities: fellowships/internships/research in philanthropy, nonprofit capacity-building, Professors who have social justice & anti-racist values, critiques of structural inequality & imperialism, etc Professional goals: philanthropy, nonprofit capacity-building, state/local government-level grantmaking, policy advocacy, or international development Supplementary interests: community-based participatory research, participatory policymaking, participatory grantmaking and budgeting, philanthropic/nonprofit policy, urban planning, land use, health equity, tax policy, China affairs Cities I'm interested in working in: LA, San Francisco, New York, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, Austin, Seattle (currently residing) About me: 3 years out of undergrad (3.0 GPA in political science at top public university) GRE: 152Q / 157 V / 4.5 AW Work experience --- temped 1 year in diversity recruiting at top STEM company; 2-3 years contracting in public administration at local City government. Technically only 1 year of full-time work experience. involved in local community foundation, local politics, and grassroots community organizing Thanks for any insights you can provide!
Hi guys, I'm just gonna give this a shot even though I have no idea if I'll get helpful responses. Just a bit of background. I am a 22 y/o recent college grad who applied for the MPH program and got into the Boston University School of Public Health with a merit scholarship of about ~20k for this Fall 2019. However, because of some compelling circumstances, I am also currently in the middle of a job search (I had to resign from my previous job). I applied for an MPH with an intention of studying Mental Health Policy. However, I also got a job offer at a pharmaceutical company. I am deciding whether or not I should accept the job offer. If so, I'd have to defer my acceptance to BU until next semester or next year. If I defer, my merit scholarship will be reconsidered. I am torn about what to do. The pharma job will give me more experience in the adult world and entering the workforce (I just graduated and have little work experience) before I go to graduate school. However, it does not align or tailor to my interests or field I want to go into with the MPH. Should I postpone my education and risk losing my scholarship to gain real world experience and save up a little more money? Or should I forego this opportunity and continue to waitress and do customer service jobs until Fall when I can start the program at BU? I really don't see an obvious answer as to what is the smart thing to do and I need all the advice I can get!!!! thanks