Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'speech language pathology assistant'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Comment Card
    • Announcements
  • The Cafe
    • City Guide
    • IHOG: International House of Grads
    • The Lobby
  • Applying to Graduate School
    • The April 15th is this week! Freak-out forum.
    • Applications
    • Questions and Answers
    • Waiting it Out
    • Decisions, Decisions
    • The Bank
  • Grad School Life
    • Meet and Greet
    • Officially Grads
    • Coursework, Advising, and Exams
    • Research
    • Teaching
    • Writing, Presenting and Publishing
    • Jobs
  • The Menu
    • Applied Sciences & Mathematics
    • Arts
    • Humanities
    • Interdisciplinary Studies
    • Life Sciences
    • Physical Sciences
    • Professional Programs
    • Social Sciences

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL









Found 5 results

  1. Hi! so I just started my job as a new SLPA, working with kids at a preschool.. They gave me cases so I started calling parents and give start dates to the coordinator. I’d like to know, what do I say to parents? What things do I discuss? How do I properly introduce myself? “Hi Im the SLPA, calling from ‘insert business name’ and I like to schedule an appointment”? Thanks
  2. Hello everyone, I am looking into becoming an SLPA in Illinois and have found limited information on how to do so. I have my bachelor degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders and am currently obtaining my Master's degree in Speech Language Pathology in a part time program. I did find an application to become an SLPA in Illinois but it says that if you have a bachelors degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders you don't qualify for this type of licensure. Does anyone know what type of licensure I would qualify for? Thank you for your help!
  3. Thread for those interested in gaining work experience working as an assistant before applying to grad school. Advice/tips/info/questions/etc. So that all of the most relevant information is easy to find, I've compiled some resources for you all. I'll add to it over time as people respond: ASHA's state-by-state licensing/certification requirements. (click your state, then support personnel to figure out what is required for certification in your state. Keep in mind, this is only updated annually so your state's regulations might have changed) Important to note: State licensure takes precedence, you can hold ASHA's C-SLPA and still be unable to practice in your state if you have not met the state's requirements. On the other end of the spectrum, you might be able to practice without the rigorous requirements of the C-SLPA certification if your state does not yet require it. (Some states only require a high school diploma.) This is because state laws and regulations govern the schools and medical facilities where you'd be working. That being said, it is likely that states will align themselves with the new ASHA certification in the near future, but legislating these changes and adding them to state budgets will take time. Have any states already moved to require ASHA certification (C-SLPA)? ASHA's certification program requirements (C-SLPA): ---again, this is voluntary unless your state (or job) requires it Completion of a 1-hour of ethics course Completion of a 1-hour course in universal safety precautions Completion of a 1-hour patient confidentiality training course Clinical field work: A minimum of 100 hours (observation hours cannot be used), to include 80 hours of direct patient/client/student services under the supervision of an ASHA-certified speech-language pathologist (SLP) and 20 hours of indirect patient/client/student services under the supervision of an ASHA-certified SLP One of the following education requirements: 2 year SLPA program OR 4 year CSD undergraduate OR other Bachelor's degree along with Introductory or overview course in communication disorders, Phonetics, Speech sound disorders, Language development, Language disorders, Anatomy and physiology of speech and hearing mechanisms, and ASHA’s online SLPA education modules Completion of the exam Apply here FAQs (this is really helpful info) If, for example, you have a Bachelor's degree in something other than SLPH but you've taken the required courses (looking at you, out-of-majors taking levelling courses), how on earth are you supposed to come up with 100 hours of clinical/fieldwork? Why offer it as an option if it's impossible? Looking for people to commiserate, mostly, but if you have advice that would be great. How have you all found positions, other than searching on glassdoor or linkedin? In Kansas, there's a workaround where you only have to have a high-school diploma to be a Speech-Language Para-professional in schools! Relevant work experience without the impossible hurdles to jump through!?!?! I was floored when I figured this out, I didn't know paras could specialize. Is this true in your state?
  4. Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some advice! I'm a resident of California, USA and I've just graduated with a B.A. in Psychology. Although I truly enjoy psychology as a subject, I know I don't necessarily want to become a "psychologist"per se. A professor of mine told me about Speech Therapy/ Speech Language Pathology before graduation, and the topic really intrigued me. After some research, I think I can see myself working in a school setting with young kids and/or teenagers! The problem is; however, in CA there are only two schools that have an SLP program (within my means of travel), and both require a degree in Communicative Disorders. There is a post-bacc program available that would need 2 years of completion before I can apply to the 3-5 year M.A. in Communicative Disorders program that leads into becoming an SLP. I joined this forum site basically to gauge anyone's opinion or advice--do you think it's worth it to endure the post-bacc; financially and time-wise? Should I maybe try for SLPA instead? Or do you know of any other fields that can combine therapy/education/health science the way speech therapy does without having to work in a hospital setting?
  5. I'm about to finish my bachelors in speech and hearing science (concentration in slp) at the University of Illinois. I decided to take a gap year instead of going straight to grad school for slp and wanted to get licensed to be an SLPA so i could work as one during my gap year. I just read somewhere that in Illinois you can only get certified as an SLPA if you complete an associates degree program with the certification. That makes no sense to me. If I have a bachelor's degree, I feel like I should be able to obtain certification and work as an assistant. Does anyone have any knowledge on this situation? Help me!
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.