Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'transferring'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Comment Card
    • Announcements
    • Forum Feedback
  • The Cafe
    • City Guide
    • IHOG: International House of Grads
    • The Lobby
  • Applying to Graduate School
    • The April 15th is this week! Freak-out forum.
    • Applications
    • Questions and Answers
    • Waiting it Out
    • Decisions, Decisions
    • The Bank
  • Grad School Life
    • Meet and Greet
    • Officially Grads
    • Coursework, Advising, and Exams
    • Research
    • Teaching
    • Writing, Presenting and Publishing
    • Jobs
  • The Menu
    • Applied Sciences & Mathematics
    • Arts
    • Humanities
    • Interdisciplinary Studies
    • Life Sciences
    • Physical Sciences
    • Professional Programs
    • Social Sciences


  • An Optimist's PhD Blog
  • coyabean's Blog
  • Saved for a Rainy Day
  • To infinity and beyond
  • captiv8ed's Blog
  • Pea-Jay's Educational Journey
  • Procrastinating
  • alexis' Blog
  • grassroots and bamboo shoots.
  • Ridgey's blog
  • ScreamingHairyArmadillo's Blog
  • amyeray's Blog
  • Blemo Girl's Guide to Grad School
  • Psychdork's Blog
  • missesENG's Blog
  • bgk's Blog
  • Tall Chai Latte's blog
  • PhD is for Chumps
  • bloggin'
  • NY or KY
  • Deadlines Blog Ferment
  • Going All In
  • In Itinere ad Eruditus
  • Adventures in Grad School-ing
  • inafuturelife
  • The Alchemist's Path
  • The Rocking Blog
  • And Here We Go!
  • Presbygeek's Blog
  • zennin' it
  • Magical Mystery Tour
  • A Beggar's Blog
  • A Senseless Game
  • Jumping into the Fray
  • Asian Studies Masters
  • Around the Block Again
  • A complicated affair
  • Click My Heels Three Times and Get In
  • dimanche0829's Blog
  • Computer Science Crossed Fingers
  • To the Lighthouse
  • Blog of Abnormally Aberrant
  • MissMoneyJenny's Blog
  • Two Masters, an Archive and Tea
  • 20/20 Hindsight
  • Right Now I'm A-Roaming
  • A Future Historian's Journey to PhD
  • St Andrews Lynx's Blog
  • Amerz's Blog
  • Musings of a Biotech Babe
  • TheFez's Blog
  • PhD, Please!
  • Blooming Ecologist
  • Brittle Ductile Transitions
  • Pleiotropic Notions
  • EdTech Enthusiast
  • The Many Flavors of Rhetoric
  • Expanding Horizons
  • Yes, and...
  • Flailing Upward
  • Traumatized, Exhausted, and Still Going
  • Straight Outta Undergrad!
  • A Hitchhikers Guide to Transferring PhD Programs
  • Conquering College Admissions
  • Reflections of an Older Student.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL









Found 9 results

  1. I have a B. Tech in physics but I have been working for the past 5+ years in a position that is not related to my major (Astronomy). This has made it near impossible for me to get into any good schools for an Astronomy Masters/PhD. I only have online certifications as Ling. prerequisites but I am quite eager to try for a masters in Linguistics. I have good scores in GRE(Verbal:162; Quant: 168; AWA;4.0) and TOEFL (117/120) and my CGPA in my undergrad was 8.4/10. Is it a wholly impractical idea? If not, what can I do to improve my chances of acceptance?
  2. I'm a first year student at a university which doesn't offer a linguistics undergrad program. I've been told by multiple professors and researchers in the field that I need a ling undergrad to have any chance at going to a good school (like UCLA, Stanford, etc.) for grad school. Is this still true? It appears that from some of the posts here and other people I've talked to that I may not, but I'm still on the fence. If I transfer undergrad schools, I'll leave the friends I've made so far, probably have to retake multiple courses, and incur a ton of debt (not including grad school). However, if I stay, I'll keep my presidential scholarship and my friends but I might miss out on the chance to study linguistics as a career and I don't know what my backup plan will be. Any suggestions?
  3. Looking to get some advice from the folks here. I've just started at a 3 year MFA program and I'm not a fan of the location. This is definitely my fault, as I should have visited but it was by far the best offer I received and I felt the need to leave my home of 17 years. I feel I will most likely settle into the program itself but my feelings for the city won't change, and thus, I need to prepare to leave after a year. The primary issue, however, is how I would transfer back home. Only 1 out of the 5 programs I'm considering back home (NYC) is a 3 year program. The rest are 2 years. I personally don't have any qualms starting a program from scratch, but I'm not sure how to approach the application process for the 2 year programs once I have a year under my belt. I wouldn't receive credit for my courses but I'm okay with the value of a year of school/writing regardless. If you guys have any thoughts on how to handle the situation, it'd be much appreciated.
  4. I am a first year and am very unhappy in my current PhD program. The pay is barely above food stamps in a very expensive city, the expectations of TAs are far beyond what I have seen in other schools, I am not connecting with my cohort, and I am feeling lukewarm towards the research group I am with. I am living 45 minutes to an hour away from campus and still spending more than 50% of my income on rent. I can barely get 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night because between homework, the very long classes (classes are in two to two and half hour blocks twice a week and often run overtime,) and my extensive TA duties, I spend upwards of 14 hours at school each day. I guess I've even been outwardly unhappy enough (even though so far my work has been submitted on time and I've gotten good grades) that I found out someone reported me to the university counseling center. But, here's the thing--I really like my field of study, and I can't see myself doing anything else. I think I would feel better in a lower cost of living area, or somewhere with a better stipend, or more reasonable expectations for TAs. (To put it in perspective, my program is in Washington DC and pays the exact same as the program in my field at Michigan State.) Should I make steps to transfer somewhere else? How would I even go about that? Or should I try to make the best of it here? I am trying to help organize a union to at least advocate for better conditions, but has anyone in a similar situation found other ways to make the best out of things?
  5. I have been working on my Doctor of Education /Educational Leadership/ Curriculum through a large online program. My committee has been assembled, My subject matter approved and a few chapters / detailed outline have been distributed. However, my committee chair has severed their relationship with the school. While finding a replacement chair, legislation has been issued that might unravel the quantitative portion of my study, causing to make me rethink my path. Now, the replacement Chair has been incapacitated and will not be able to serve. I am thinking that I might want to change schools so that I might either (a) get the right advisor/chair to work with me, and/or change the specialization area/topic. Here are my restraints: I am 50ish with a full time great job in my chosen field in Healthcare that I am not willing to leave. I live in the middle of nowhere, so online is the way to go. Is this possible without having to redo the coursework which is 95% finished. jarwiz
  6. I'm currently in my second year PhD at Stanford. My advisor took a position at UCLA (and with that, an endowed professorship as well). I am a bit torn as to whether I should leave and follow him to UCLA, which would require me transferring out of my program and my PhD would come from UCLA. The benefit I see from this would be an increase in money to spend on research, and a chance to build a lab from ground zero and really be a driving factor in the direction of the lab. Plus, he's a great advisor. My other option is to remain at Stanford, pick a new advisor and move in a new direction. Benefits to staying at Stanford, well, I love the people I met here and am building a network of people (with the alumni as well) that can potentially help me post-grad. Wanted to field some thoughts from the community on what I should do. Willing to answer some questions as well if it helps with advice giving.
  7. Hello, So to start off when I applied to physics graduate school programs I had a horrible (truly abysmal) pGRE score, a 3.92 GPA from a small (sorta sub par, not well known) college, and 3 summers of physics research in space physics at that college. I had only (in my infinite foolishness) applied to 2 schools thinking I would get in (university of Minnesota and UCLA), and I got denied from the Univerisity of Minnesota's astrophysics program, and was waitlisted by UCLA's space physics program. Then like 3 weeks later, I got an NSF fellowship, and was emailed by a graduate advisor from the University of Minnesota telling me that he would like to have in interview with me. The interview went well and I was accepted into their program. I was then emailed by UCLA and after a skype interview was accepted there as well. (Again in my infinite foolishness) I chose to go to UCLA because it was the more prestigious school, however after I thought about it more, I'm kinda regretting it because I am not really that interested in space physics. I only applied to the UCLA space physics program because I thought I had a good chance of getting in, with my space physics background. This summer I am actually doing an internship at NASA Goddard (in space physics again, a field I can't seem to get away from...) which I think I can get a letter of recommendation from, but I was wondering: Is is possible for me to take the pGRE again, get a better score, and reapply to physics graduate programs (maybe UCLA and Univeristy of Minnesota are out of the question at this point) or maybe transfer programs?
  8. I am going into my fourth rotation (and of course it's not guaranteed that I will be accepted into the lab) and my other rotations didn't work out either: First: bad fit (I don't like PI or the way he manages his lab, lab is very small and no one is around. I was told by rotations committee that he doesn't have funding for a student even though he says otherwise). This lab was not my first choice anyway, but the PI I was interested in was full and waiting on grants so I opted not to rotate with him. Second: bad fit (per PI, I like PI and the work, but the lab culture is not for me. It's a very large lab and about half the members are really catty towards the other half of the lab. I don't think the PI actually realizes this). Third: PI didn't get a grant she was counting on, so she is (now) not taking any students. Fourth: I have meetings set up and I have to decide between 2 labs, but of course neither is a guarantee and there's a chance I will have to leave and find a new grad school. I'm really bummed about this because I really love my grad school but if I can't find a lab I don't really have an option. I moved across the country for this opportunity, don't really have money to move anywhere else, I'm 27 and not getting any younger, etc. This is a college town, so not many job options for the next year either I feel like I'm quickly running out of options. Has anyone else been in my shoes or had a similar experience? Thanks!
  9. I'm at the end of my rope with my situation and would appreciate any insight/opinions. I graduated from a top-20 institution a few years ago with a bachelor's in chemical engineering. Unfortunately, due to a combination of personal factors I failed to graduate with a decent GPA. I did have some research experience and 3 pretty shining rec letters from profs/a boss, though, so I applied to graduate school despite my less-than-stellar application. I ended up being accepted to a tier-2 research institution for a bioengineering PhD program. I started working in a lab my first semester, started research I was interested and overall had a very positive outlook on my situation. After a few weeks, though, things started to get weird. First, my PI became verbally and emotionally abusive. At first I thought it was just me, but after a few more weeks I discovered that they had a reputation in the department (and beyond) and had even been known to become physically aggressive. That wasn't a dealbreaker, I was miserable but I got to a point where I could manage my interactions with them in the first few months. Then my advisor started to constantly change goals and directions with my project. I started to see a pattern of this happening with other people's projects too. Things that should've taken a few weeks were dragged out over months. Potential publications were sat on or stonewalled. They switched people around on projects so no one made significant progress on any one thing. Master's students were rotated in and out to do work PhD students would normally do without pay. They constantly held funding over everyone's heads. I saw upwards of 10 PhD students leave in my first year and a half and countless masters students. I found out that my PI hadn't graduated anyone in years. I hoped that my PI would finally let me progress in my research after I passed my first qual with the highest possible score, but things have only gotten worse. I could list many other reasons that the situation in the lab has become untenable. At this point I've pulled myself together since undergrad, have a 4.0, several scholarships and fellowships, and am an officer for a prominent honor society. My experience with my advisor has really poisoned this field for me, but not my desire to do research. I really want to go back to the broader field of chemical engineering. I know the schools I would want to apply to, but I know transferring isn't something you can really do as a PhD student, especially since I doubt I'd be able to have a rational conversation about this with my advisor. I've thought about applying somewhere as a new applicant for Fall 2017, but I'm afraid that even though I would be switching fields no program would want to take me. I'm afraid that my prospects to get my PhD are ruined. I've considered sticking it out for a master's at my current program, but I would have to almost double my student loan debt just to pay for tuition and I don't even know if a master's in biomedical engineering would even help me to get into a chemical engineering PhD program. Does anyone have any advice? Should I contact someone from the graduate offices at the programs I'm interested in? If so, who? Would it be worth it to stay for a master's in a program and field I now hate? Should I try to get a job? If I did get a job now, could I apply to other programs in the future with less of the stigma I might see now? TL;DR: 1. I have a mediocre undergrad GPA at a good school in ChemE and am now 2 years deep in a biomedical engineering PhD with a 4.0/research experience 2. My situation with my advisor has become unsustainable and I have been barred from making progress toward my dissertation 3. I want to go back to ChemE but don't know if I have any chances of being accepted if I apply to a program, especially without my advisor's support 4. Should I contact someone from the graduate offices at the programs I'm interested in? If so, who? Would it be worth it to stay for a master's in a program and field I now hate? Should I try to get a job? If I did get a job now, could I apply to other programs in the future with less of the stigma I might see now? Thanks in advance for any advice; my lease is up in August and I really need to make a decision.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.