Yale MFA 2018

Sylvieee

Hello! I noticed in years past that there has been an open forum for Yale MFA applicants so I wanted to start one for 2018.

Please use this forum to ask questions about this year's application process and share any information that you may have about the program.

Based on years before we should be hearing back about interviews on February 2 and final decisions on March 9.

Best of luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Zander said:

Thanks for starting this! First time Yale applicant here, been waiting for the right time to apply! 8 more days to Yale decision weeks! 

That is so soon! How exciting and nerve wracking. I’m a first time Yale applicant, too! Let me know if you hear anything. :)

@Zander Oh cool. Sorry, I had only seen that you had Yale as a closing message and was just curious. Where else did you end up applying besides Yale? 

@Sylvieee Here is a screenshot from Yaledaily Mail.com with the stats for painting and other programs as well. It is from 2007, but I have not been able to find  any other recent articles. 

FE2ECCAD-04DD-4D27-9EDB-723C52BEA4A4.jpeg

In the article it also said 1,215 people applied in 2007. From the 1,215 applicants only 167 were invited to interview for painting. Then from 167 interviewers it goes down to 70 finalists. From the 70 finalists it then went down to the final 21 accepted applicants. So out of 1,215 people in 2007, only 0.017% of applicants were accepted into the Yale School of Arts program. 

25 minutes ago, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2007/03/29/art-applicants-begin-interviews/

Here is the article if you if you are interested in reading it. 

I think the 167 interviewees are across all four departments, not just painting. When I interviewed last year there were around 40-45 slots for 20 spots. I imagine the number is lower for Photo and Sculpture. 

edit: the article does say that there were 70 finalists for 21 spots for painting - sorry!

Edited by 98Charleston

2 hours ago, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

Hi Y'all,

I have been snooping through past MFA freakout pages and noticed that some applicants MFA pages change in appearance as it gets closer to interview day. I have attached a photo of mine and I was just curious if anyones has changed? It looks like there has been 3 changes to mine at the moment, but not 100% sure. I have also attached a photo from @sylviecerise in 2016. Hers changed completely for her interview, but I wonder if anyones has similar changes to mine? 

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 12.54.27 PM.jpg

Mine looks the same as yours. The link to the forum shows hers changing a couple days before interviews were announced so I don’t think we would see that kind of change until next Wednesday?

Edited by Sylvieee

@mrpoopybutthole I only applied to Yale this year, this is my third application season and hopefully my last. Withdrew and turn down offers in the previous years.   Wish I could've applied for another program that I was excited about but just couldn't budget for another app. 

A few year ago someone noted that Yale gets close to 500 applications for painting/printmaking alone. 

2 hours ago, Zander said:

@mrpoopybutthole I only applied to Yale this year, this is my third application season and hopefully my last. Withdrew and turn down offers in the previous years.   Wish I could've applied for another program that I was excited about but just couldn't budget for another app. 

A few year ago someone noted that Yale gets close to 500 applications for painting/printmaking alone. 

I only applied to Yale this year too! Best of luck to you!

Hi guys! I've been creeping hard on these forums but haven't made an account, but I am now because waiting turns out to be the hardest part! I also focused this application cycle on Yale because my photo professors from undergrad went there and I love all of the artists that either work there are come out of the program. I guess we've all done everything we can do and we'll hopefully hear soon! What is everyone doing to distract themselves??

On 1/23/2018 at 4:33 PM, Hemlock028 said:

Hi guys! I've been creeping hard on these forums but haven't made an account, but I am now because waiting turns out to be the hardest part! I also focused this application cycle on Yale because my photo professors from undergrad went there and I love all of the artists that either work there are come out of the program. I guess we've all done everything we can do and we'll hopefully hear soon! What is everyone doing to distract themselves??

The waiting is really hard! Where did you go for undergrad?

As for distraction I find that reading a really captivating book helps me or doing things that I enjoy to take my mind off of the waiting.. I check this forum and google analytics more than I should though! We should be hearing back next week. We can do this!

Hello! Long time lurker first time poster - trying a new distraction! ? This wait is so much harder than I thought it would be. FYI I applied to Yale, WashU and SUNY Purchase. I went to Pratt for undergrad, ‘14. Has anyone gotten to the interview round in this forum? 

19 minutes ago, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

Anyone get any hits from Yale on their google analytics account? It has been like three weeks now lol The suspense is getting to me! 

I think @Sylvieee got one! Last year I got an interview and I got a hit the Wednesday of the week they announced finalists. 

PS Sorry that I write 'Last year when I got an interview...' in every post lol it's my only reference point.

Best of luck to everyone! One week to go!

@Sylvieee I also noticed that you posted in the larger MFA group about visiting campus. I went to the Open House and it was actually extremely helpful. They had a panelist of 4 alums, one from each department, a session on financial aid, and breakout groups into departments. I'll sum what I learned up by saying that:

1. Your portfolio is extremely important and should show evidence of a working artist, more than one body of work is helpful.

2. They seem to want applicants who have been out of school for a while. 

3. The departments work separately but intermingle a lot.

4. It's an output based program. You're not taking a ton of classes but have to be comfortable with making a LOT of work independently, which unsurprisingly, makes it super intense. 

I was also pleasantly surprised with how down to Earth all of the first years were. From the people that I know who have graduated from the program mentioned that there's no way to speculate your admission either. There are so many factors that go in. They're curating a class of different artists, taking into consideration the current first year students in that department already. Not getting in, is NOT a reflection of the quality of your work and a lot of people apply more than once before getting in. Hopefully that makes people feel better, I think it helps a little!

Edited by Hemlock028

1 hour ago, 98Charleston said:

I think @Sylvieee got one! Last year I got an interview and I got a hit the Wednesday of the week they announced finalists. 

PS Sorry that I write 'Last year when I got an interview...' in every post lol it's my only reference point.

Best of luck to everyone! One week to go!

1 hour ago, Hemlock028 said:

@Sylvieee I'm checking things way too much too! It doesn't help that applying to Yale is basically like buying a lottery ticket. I don't have my Google Analytics set up because I know it would be me go crazy!

1 hour ago, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

Anyone get any hits from Yale on their google analytics account? It has been like three weeks now lol The suspense is getting to me! 

I did get a hit from New Haven in early January but it wasn’t within the Yale network unfortunately! I’ve been checking everyday and haven’t seen one but will keep y’all posted!

52 minutes ago, Hemlock028 said:

@Sylvieee I also noticed that you posted in the larger MFA group about visiting campus. I went to the Open House and it was actually extremely helpful. They had a panelist of 4 alums, one from each department, a session on financial aid, and breakout groups into departments. I'll sum what I learned up by saying that:

1. Your portfolio is extremely important and should show evidence of a working artist, more than one body of work is helpful.

2. They seem to want applicants who have been out of school for a while. 

3. The departments work separately but intermingle a lot.

4. It's an output based program. You're not taking a ton of classes but have to be comfortable with making a LOT of work independently, which unsurprisingly, makes it super intense. 

I was also pleasantly surprised with how down to Earth all of the first years were. From the people that I know who have graduated from the program mentioned that there's no way to speculate your admission either. There are so many factors that go in. They're curating a class of different artists, taking into consideration the current first year students in that department already. Not getting in, is NOT a reflection of the quality of your work and a lot of people apply more than once before getting in. Hopefully that makes people feel better, I think it helps a little!

Thank you for this info! Which department did you apply for?

Ive also heard that there’s no way to know if you’ll be getting in or not despite how strong you think your work is. Unsettling!

@Sylvieee I applied for Photo. The break out session for photography was super helpful on it's own. Most of the current first years were there and they, along with some of the full time faculty answered questions about applications, the experience of being a photographer at such an output based MFA program, and other general stuff about living in New Haven vs. trying to commute (impossible basically), and taking time off after undergrad before coming to grad school. What I thought was great, was how students talked about being a photographer, as opposed to having a studio based practice and how a lot of them leave on the weekends to go where they need to take pictures and what they do during breaks for their work. 

2 hours ago, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

I got about 4 from Yale yesterday....