Yale MFA 2018

Sylvieee

2 hours ago, Hemlock028 said:

@Sylvieee I applied for Photo. The break out session for photography was super helpful on it's own. Most of the current first years were there and they, along with some of the full time faculty answered questions about applications, the experience of being a photographer at such an output based MFA program, and other general stuff about living in New Haven vs. trying to commute (impossible basically), and taking time off after undergrad before coming to grad school. What I thought was great, was how students talked about being a photographer, as opposed to having a studio based practice and how a lot of them leave on the weekends to go where they need to take pictures and what they do during breaks for their work. 

3 MFA Photo applicants for Yale (among other places) in these here forums now... good luck to you and @Sylvieee!

@Sylvieee I applied for Photo. The break out session for photography was super helpful on it's own. Most of the current first years were there and they, along with some of the full time faculty answered questions about applications, the experience of being a photographer at such an output based MFA program, and other general stuff about living in New Haven vs. trying to commute (impossible basically), and taking time off after undergrad before coming to grad school. What I thought was great, was how students talked about being a photographer, as opposed to having a studio based practice and how a lot of them leave on the weekends to go where they need to take pictures and what they do during breaks for their work. 

Sounds awesome. Wish I could have been there!

8 hours ago, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

Biceo that is exciting, and scary, but that means they are finally starting to look at applicants. Wishing you the best! 

Yale reviews applications shortly after the deadline according to their website. So they should actually be wrapping up their selection for finalist interviews for all the departments. 

4 minutes ago, Hemlock028 said:

Did anyone else see from previous years that there would be "Schedule your ______ interview" links before the decisions came out and then they WENT AWAY? That sounds so torturous. I hope that doesn't happen to us!! 

yep.  basically if youre getting an interview then that appears then disappears. 

Nothing for me yet! Although I love how it's kind of like a sick joke that our FAFSFA is still due on Thursday, right before decisions.

I turned in my FAFSA and CSS profile shortly after my application. Hopeful thinking! ^_^

5 hours ago, Hemlock028 said:

Did anyone else see from previous years that there would be "Schedule your ______ interview" links before the decisions came out and then they WENT AWAY? That sounds so torturous. I hope that doesn't happen to us!! 

5 hours ago, BlCEO said:

yep.  basically if youre getting an interview then that appears then disappears. 

I don't think any photo applicants saw any changes before Friday in previous years so photo people will have to wait until the end of the week... :(

2 hours ago, Sylvieee said:

I turned in my FAFSA and CSS profile shortly after my application. Hopeful thinking! ^_^

I haven't done CSS yet...

Edited by cklos

CSS is required for Yale, and I think some of the other Ivy's/private schools like Columbia (they require a CSS by Feb 1) to complete your potential award.

I think there is a week or two until Yale's is due.

Also on the topic of funding, I called Yale because once you complete the CSS, it notifies you that Yale also requires you to send you and your parents signed 2016 federal tax return and w-2, but Yale's website says they need the papers from 2017.

When I called Yale they said the 2017 on their site was an error but they haven't fixed it yet...

Edited by hoax

Y'all I have been going through the 2016 YALE MFA page and I used some of those old links for interviews dates. I clicked and it went through (Don't schedule anything y'all it is just public info and not a confirmation that you will receive an interview. Look through the forum if you want more info). Looks like the interview dates will be February 26, 27, and 28. It also seems that tomorrow on Thursday, the fourth week since the deadline, some applicants will receive links to schedule interviews. Then more will receive the official invitation on Friday. Basing this on the 2016 forum, not %100 sure so please take this with a grain of salt. It does however seem that the fourth Friday from the application deadline decisions were sent out. So it looks like we will potentially know who gets an interview and rejection this Friday ??‍♂️