• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2018 at 6:37 PM, ssmmvv said:

Hi! 

I'm also impatiently waiting for a response from CSUF!

BA: Sociology from CSULB

Last 60 sem. units: 3.48

Experience: 5 years working with low income families and youth

Hello! That's great!

I had a 3.313 from UCI in Psychology and Social Behavior, and a 3.28 at my community college. My last 60 units were all at UCI, so 3.313 is my last 60 units. I want to work with child protective services, then move onto found my own wraparound program, my passion is with the kiddos. 

I have just under a year of experience with special needs with respite care, 8 or so years of experience with children, 7 months of experience with at-risk youth, and 4 years of experience at a home for abused women and children. I was also part of an honor fraternity if that matters at all.

I have yet to hear from CSULB, CSUF or CSUDH

Hi! I got an email earlier this week inviting me in for an interview, which will be on Thursday.

If anybody has any suggestions on what I should bring (resume, etc.) or has had experience with this interview, any help would be appreciated!

On 2/21/2018 at 10:30 PM, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

Hello! That's great!

I had a 3.313 from UCI in Psychology and Social Behavior, and a 3.28 at my community college. My last 60 units were all at UCI, so 3.313 is my last 60 units. I want to work with child protective services, then move onto found my own wraparound program, my passion is with the kiddos. 

I have just under a year of experience with special needs with respite care, 8 or so years of experience with children, 7 months of experience with at-risk youth, and 4 years of experience at a home for abused women and children. I was also part of an honor fraternity if that matters at all.

I have yet to hear from CSULB, CSUF or CSUDH

You are definitely getting into schools! You have a great GPA and experience! (: And that's awesome that you want have a wraparound program!

When did you submit your application to CSUF? 

I received my acceptance to CSUDH yesterday so you should be hearing back soon! I heard back from CSULA today as well so hopefully Fullerton is not too far behind. 

On 2/24/2018 at 12:27 PM, jkalaw said:

Hi! I got an email earlier this week inviting me in for an interview, which will be on Thursday.

If anybody has any suggestions on what I should bring (resume, etc.) or has had experience with this interview, any help would be appreciated!

Hi!

Congratulations and good luck!! When did you submit your Fullerton application?

I would bring a resume just in case (better safe than sorry) and dress for success! I looked through last years forums about CSUF and some people described the interview process so it may be helpful to look at those. Try looking up "CSUF MSW Fall 2017" forum.

I applied on the deadline for the extended program. I did my undergrad there, not that it means anything. Haven't heard a single update from them yet.

Last 60 GPA: 3.61

Major: Psychology

Minor: Human Services

Experience: semester internship college prep at a high school selecting candidates, conducting interviews, and leading group discussions. Recently I've been in the field of ABA for 2.5 years. I started as direct with kids/adults and then took on parent consultation. My last 8 months here have been starting and running quality assurance for our whole branch/county.

On 2/24/2018 at 12:27 PM, jkalaw said:

I have a interview on the 6th. Is there any information or tips you can give me about my upcoming interview? Thanks in advance. 

On 2/28/2018 at 6:42 PM, ssmmvv said:

You are definitely getting into schools! You have a great GPA and experience! (: And that's awesome that you want have a wraparound program!

When did you submit your application to CSUF? 

I received my acceptance to CSUDH yesterday so you should be hearing back soon! I heard back from CSULA today as well so hopefully Fullerton is not too far behind. 

I applied to Fullerton the Friday before applications were due, so.... Friday, January 12th. I also applied to Long Beach the same day. Dominguez hills I sent in the mail, I wanna say the 23rd of January. How did Dominguez Hills contact you? When did you turn in your applications? What are your "stats"?

12 hours ago, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

I applied to Fullerton the Friday before applications were due, so.... Friday, January 12th. I also applied to Long Beach the same day. Dominguez hills I sent in the mail, I wanna say the 23rd of January. How did Dominguez Hills contact you? When did you turn in your applications? What are your "stats"?

I applied to Fullerton the day of the deadline so January 16th. I applied to Dominguez Hills about a week before the deadline on January 26th. They first sent me an email and then I received 2 letters in the mail (one for the acceptance letter, two for the statement of commitment). BA in soc from csulb with 3.48 last 60 sem units. I read in other threads that Csuf has been contacting by email so I’ve been checking my email like nonstop. 

On 3/1/2018 at 6:48 PM, TheAnxiousGuy said:

I applied on the deadline for the extended program. I did my undergrad there, not that it means anything. Haven't heard a single update from them yet.

Last 60 GPA: 3.61

Major: Psychology

Minor: Human Services

Experience: semester internship college prep at a high school selecting candidates, conducting interviews, and leading group discussions. Recently I've been in the field of ABA for 2.5 years. I started as direct with kids/adults and then took on parent consultation. My last 8 months here have been starting and running quality assurance for our whole branch/county.

I applied to the extended program too! Hopefully we hear from them soon. 

4 hours ago, ssmmvv said:

I applied to the extended program too! Hopefully we hear from them soon. 

I received an email from CSUF yesterday afternoon inviting me to interview for the MSW program. Apparently it is with two people, but they did not give names. Was told interviews last about 30 minutes total (makes sense; the time slots you can pick from are in 30 minute intervals). Nervous but excited. What are your stats?

My stats:

Last 60: 3.72

Cumulative: 3.24 (I was still figuring out what I wanted to do with my life in community college) 

I graduated from Fullerton with a B.A. in Sociology with a concentration in Health and Social Welfare. Ive spent a winter session abroad, volunteered at a senior center for 1 year, volunteered at a crisis hotline for 6 months, and Meals on Wheels for 6 months.

So far I’ve been accepted to CSUDH, have a interview with CSUF, and haven’t heard anything back from CSULB. 

I applied a week before the deadline because one of my professors took a while to give me my letter of recommendation. 

Edited by Jessica Steen

13 minutes ago, Jessica Steen said:

My stats:

Last 60: 3.72

Cumulative: 3.24 (I was still figuring out what I wanted to do with my life in community college) 

I graduated from CSUF with a major in psychology and a minor in human services. My last 60 was a 3.61 while my overall was a 3.19. I wrote in my statement how I actually was on academic probation in community college (I had something like a 1.5GPA at the time) but managed to straighten myself out and exhaust all resources and time management skills to get through school while continuing to work to support myself and help support my family. I graduated a couple years ago, but an adviser who saw the huge GPA jump during my grad check asked me about it and told me to definitely include that in my personal statement in the future.

10 hours ago, TheAnxiousGuy said:

I received an email from CSUF yesterday afternoon inviting me to interview for the MSW program. Apparently it is with two people, but they did not give names. Was told interviews last about 30 minutes total (makes sense; the time slots you can pick from are in 30 minute intervals). Nervous but excited. What are your stats?

That’s awesome! Good luck! I was reading another post and they said kelly Segovia was in their interview but idk who the second person could be. I graduated from csulb with a major in sociology. My last 60 sem units is 3.48 

9 hours ago, Jessica Steen said:

I definitely wish I would have mentioned my time in community college for my LB application. 

When is your interview with Fullerton? 

I did not realize it would be something noteworthy and likely would not have discussed it in my statement if that adviser had not insisted I do so a few years back. I am fairly confident they will end up asking about it, at the very least to see if I am prepared for graduate level work.

My interview is scheduled for the week of the 12th. I would have chosen one this coming week but I am currently helping a coworker get to and from work as they do not currently have a car; I set my interview for the first day they can drive themselves again. This also gives me the benefit of having time to prepare for the interview and getting  a suit to dress appropriately for it.

4 hours ago, ssmmvv said:

That’s awesome! Good luck! I was reading another post and they said kelly Segovia was in their interview but idk who the second person could be. I graduated from csulb with a major in sociology. My last 60 sem units is 3.48 

Ah, hopefully this is the same person to interview me then. I am currently looking into specifics of the program to ensure I have a solid grasp of it should I be asked for detailed explanations of my interest in the university. Let me know if you see any other names mentioned! :)

On 3/4/2018 at 2:54 AM, TheAnxiousGuy said:

Ah, hopefully this is the same person to interview me then. I am currently looking into specifics of the program to ensure I have a solid grasp of it should I be asked for detailed explanations of my interest in the university. Let me know if you see any other names mentioned! :)

I interviewed with Kelly and Debra Saxton. They opened up asking me to tell them about myself, then to tell them about a stressful situation and how I handled it, what is the most successful thing I have done, what I want to do with social work, and the rest I can’t really remember. 

Good luck

Edited by Jessica Steen

On 3/7/2018 at 9:31 AM, Jessica Steen said:

I interviewed with Kelly and Debra Saxton. They opened up asking me to tell them about myself, then to tell them about a stressful situation and how I handled it, what is the most successful thing I have done, what I want to do with social work, and the rest I can’t really remember. 

Good luck

Awesome, thank you for the information! I'm getting increasingly nervous as I only applied to CSUF and UW-Seattle. Not a lot of room for error there, so I need to really knock the interview out of the park.

How do you feel your interview went?

Hi! 

I've been creeping on this forum for a week or two and decided to say something. I submitted an application to the 2 year MSW program on the last possible date, received an email for an interview on February 26th and did my interview yesterday, March 12th. It went okay I think. It was pretty short and they asked less questions than I expected after reviewing past forums. I feel like I didn't get to share enough about me. Based on past forums, it seems they email decisions a week or two after the interview, but in my interview, Kelly said it could take a couple weeks. 

Andrea

Has anyone not heard back yet? I am freaking out. I submitted my application in Dec or Jan, (CSUF Fall 2018) cant remember, and I have not heard back yet. I applied for the 2-year program (Child Welfare) I also applied for the CalSwec Stipend. 

Edited by BrendaServin

3 hours ago, BrendaServin said:

Has anyone not heard back yet? I am freaking out. I submitted my application in Dec or Jan, (CSUF Fall 2018) cant remember, and I have not heard back yet. I applied for the 2-year program (Child Welfare) I also applied for the CalSwec Stipend. 

Hey!

I submitted my app in December and I have not hear anything either :/

10 hours ago, Jessica Steen said:

I’ve heard back unofficially that I have been accepted. ? Kelly said official letters should be sent out by the end of this week or early next week. 

Hey Jessica, 

How were you told you were unofficially accepted? Email?