Fall 2018 Masters of Health Informatics

hanam

39 minutes ago, ikk said:

Hey guys I just received an email for an acceptance right now! It seems that they are staggering the emails so don't sweat if you haven't heard yet!

Congratulations!!!

3 hours ago, zeeW said:

Does anyone have any opinions on McMaster vs UofT? I'm a little torn between the two programs right now and would love to hear what you guys think about them!

Congrats everyone on getting in. I just got my acceptance earlier today as well :)

About this question, I actually asked about the difference between some MHI programs after I was done my presentation. I was told from the professor interviewing me that all are great programs. He said Waterloo seems to focus a tad more on engineering, Mac is a bit more business, and UofT is more organizational, meaning that "U of T essentially wants all the CIOs to come from here". That's just one source though so take it as you will. 

3 hours ago, NanBD said:

Congrats everyone on getting in. I just got my acceptance earlier today as well :)

About this question, I actually asked about the difference between some MHI programs after I was done my presentation. I was told from the professor interviewing me that all are great programs. He said Waterloo seems to focus a tad more on engineering, Mac is a bit more business, and UofT is more organizational, meaning that "U of T essentially wants all the CIOs to come from here". That's just one source though so take it as you will. 

I got a similar vibe from Waterloo; they didn't say much about UofT but did say they had a relatively greater emphasis on the engineering and design behind information systems. For the curious, if you take a look at the course calendars for both programs and you can definitely see it there as well. UofT has a few courses that relate more to project management, and Waterloo has some room for electives and a lot of options are of statistics/comp sci related.

http://ihpme.utoronto.ca/academics/pp/mhi/handbook/timetables/

https://uwaterloo.ca/public-health-and-health-systems/future-graduate-students/professional-programs/master-health-informatics/curriculum

17 hours ago, zeeW said:

Yes, I just got an email from Zoe around 1 today!

Hey I am also in the same boat I got call the other day but haven't received the official email yet. We have to give our response to Mac by Monday. I looked really hard at the course breakdown for both and made my decision from there. I also did a budget calculator for each. In the letter that everyone received from U of T does it talk about scholarships, fees and initial fees? 

3 hours ago, dardalys098 said:

Hey I am also in the same boat I got call the other day but haven't received the official email yet. We have to give our response to Mac by Monday. I looked really hard at the course breakdown for both and made my decision from there. I also did a budget calculator for each. In the letter that everyone received from U of T does it talk about scholarships, fees and initial fees? 

My response isn't due till the 25th but in the letter that Zoe sent there wasn't any information on scholarships and such like the McMaster one. There is a link (http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/Information-for-New-Students.aspx) there that says is a good resource for new students but I have yet to look too much into it yet since I have finals right now.

1 hour ago, Cloudbank said:

Looks like the second day of offers is rolling out, received an email offer from Zoe this morning :)

Guess I have a lot of decision-making to do this weekend!

congrats! :) 

1 hour ago, ikk said:

congrats! :) 

Thank you very much (and congrats to you as well)! 

At this moment I am leaning more towards UofT. Everyone in this thread has been a great source of comfort in these past 2 months of sustained panic, so I hope I get to meet some of you soon!

6 hours ago, dardalys098 said:

Did you get a call from her? Or did you call her?

Hi everyone, I called Zoe today in the afternoon since she said we are welcome to follow up, I figured that waiting week would be okay. She told me she was right about to email me my acceptance so I received that shortly after getting off the phone with her. So excited! Congrats to everyone.

7 hours ago, zeeW said:

My response isn't due till the 25th but in the letter that Zoe sent there wasn't any information on scholarships and such like the McMaster one. There is a link (http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/Information-for-New-Students.aspx) there that says is a good resource for new students but I have yet to look too much into it yet since I have finals right now.

Thank you so much for the link above! I got the email today. They are sending all official offers in the mail. Super excited :) I am going with U of T 

@ignito I emailed Zoe on Wednesday stating I had another offer but wanted to hear back from U of T before making my final decision. She called me that afternoon to tell me I'd be getting an email acceptance. It came in mid afternoon today. Is anyone moving downtown? Wanting to know people's thoughts on housing, off campus housing etc. 

@dardalys098 After asking Toronto friends who are/were UofT students, they said there are two options: (1) live somewhere downtown that is walking distance to school (e.g., Yonge-Dundas Square, Bay Street Corridor, etc) or (2) live somewhere further out and commute (e.g., Richmond Hill or even Newmarket).

Anyone that is considering UofT have any insight regarding working while you're in the program (non-executive stream)? The FAQs section of their website seems to really suggest we don't... and while I could probably get away with not working for a year, I would prefer to.