Fall 2018 Masters of Health Informatics

hanam

For those of you who are in the regular stream and may not have ACORN accounts set up yet, here's the course breakdown for the year (or at least what was put onto my schedule):

• INF1003H F (Fall) Information Systems, Services, and Design
  • INF1341H F (Fall) Systems Analysis and Process Innovation
  • MHI1001H F (Fall) Information and Communication Technology in Health Care
  • MHI1002H F (Fall) Complexity of Clinical Care
  • MHI2001H F (Fall) Fundamentals of Health Informatics
  • MHI2005Y YA (Full Session) Practicum Placement
  • INF2183H S (Winter) Knowledge Management and Systems
  • MHI2002H S (Winter) Emergent Topics in Health Informatics
  • MHI2003H S (Winter) Consumer and Public Health Informatics
  • MHI2004H S (Winter) Human Factors and Change Management
  • MHI2007H S (Winter) Quantitative Skills in Health Informatics

Here are the course descriptions if you need more info: http://ihpme.utoronto.ca/academics/pp/mhi/handbook/course-descriptions/

It may also help some of you who are still deciding

Edited by NanBD

9 hours ago, NanBD said:

For those of you who are in the regular stream and may not have ACORN accounts set up yet, here's the course breakdown for the year (or at least what was put onto my schedule):

Here are the course descriptions if you need more info: http://ihpme.utoronto.ca/academics/pp/mhi/handbook/course-descriptions/

To add to this, they have a timetable for current students at http://ihpme.utoronto.ca/academics/pp/mhi/handbook/timetables/, and I imagine next year will be similar (at least I hope so, a Friday off never hurt anyone!). Also I would be inclined to follow-up if you can't get into ACORN at this point, I've been able to access the system after applying since mid February (though of course nothing showed up until being accepted).

Tried calling and following up with Zoe,

she told me that they will be "letting all applicants know by the end of the week".

I assume that this is a soft rejection until the official hard rejection is received via email. 

Cheers to all those who got accepted, I wish you luck on your future endeavour!! :) 

23 minutes ago, FadeMans said:

she told me that they will be "letting all applicants know by the end of the week".

I assume that this is a soft rejection until the official hard rejection is received via email. 

Cheers to all those who got accepted, I wish you luck on your future endeavour!! :) 

She also said there are people on the waitlist

1 hour ago, FadeMans said:

Has your application status changed or does it still show under review?

12 hours ago, NanBD said:

Hey NanBD, do you know anything about the electives? I think the student handbook says that we will have some choice in later years. I can't seem to find the approved electives list anywhere besides the Big Data course.

1 hour ago, zeeW said:

Hey NanBD, do you know anything about the electives? I think the student handbook says that we will have some choice in later years. I can't seem to find the approved electives list anywhere besides the Big Data course.

I'm not 100% sure. If you look at the Year 2 Timetable (http://ihpme.utoronto.ca/academics/pp/mhi/handbook/timetables/) the Big Data course and some others are listed there, but I'm not sure which ones are madatory and which are electives tbh. 

And @dardalys098 I'm still waiting for my letter, although I did already email Zoe to confirm that I was accepting the offer. I did my undergrad at U of T so I already have an ACORN account. Cloudbank, how did you make yours?

8 minutes ago, NanBD said:

I'm not 100% sure. If you look at the Year 2 Timetable (http://ihpme.utoronto.ca/academics/pp/mhi/handbook/timetables/) the Big Data course and some others are listed there, but I'm not sure which ones are madatory and which are electives tbh. 

And @dardalys098 I'm still waiting for my letter, although I did already email Zoe to confirm that I was accepting the offer. I did my undergrad at U of T so I already have an ACORN account. Cloudbank, how did you make yours?

Thanks, NanBD were the courses you listed already selected for you? I assume the first year is the same for everyone.

Mac seems to have a lot of choice in terms of electives but the UofT program seems more focused with courses that are very health informatics targeted or at least seem specialized for this program.

1 hour ago, NanBD said:

I got an e-mail from admissions.sgs@utoronto.ca regarding something about a JOINid. Activate that and then you just use the same ID to access ACORN.
I think my previous post suggested that the process for getting on ACORN was done automatically, which it wasn't. I just remember following the instructions to activate it because I got the email right as my application went through and my brain was just like 'uhhhhhhh sure, I guess activating something would be important', so sorry for any confusion!

3 hours ago, Cloudbank said:

I got an e-mail from admissions.sgs@utoronto.ca regarding something about a JOINid. Activate that and then you just use the same ID to access ACORN.
I think my previous post suggested that the process for getting on ACORN was done automatically, which it wasn't. I just remember following the instructions to activate it because I got the email right as my application went through and my brain was just like 'uhhhhhhh sure, I guess activating something would be important', so sorry for any confusion!

@cloudbank

Thanks for letting me know. The info must be coming in the mail with the acceptance letter to create an account. I haven't received a separate email from admissions.sgs yet 

7 hours ago, zeeW said:

Thanks, NanBD were the courses you listed already selected for you? I assume the first year is the same for everyone.

Mac seems to have a lot of choice in terms of electives but the UofT program seems more focused with courses that are very health informatics targeted or at least seem specialized for this program.

Hey @zeeW Yupp, all those courses were just automatically added to my enrolled courses. 

And yeah, I agree with your assessment. The course-work at U of T seems to be a tad more rigourous/focused than at Mac, bit it also lacks the thesis/research paper component that Mac offers. 

Also, are you saying you declined Mac by accident? Omg 

13 hours ago, zeeW said:

I just did and it seemed the only reason they provided as a reason for decline was that I declined by mistake lol

I also declined McMaster, I think I chose that too because I didn't want to provide the info as to where I had accepted 

14 hours ago, ikk said:

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page for the MHI fall 2018 students? 

There is IHPME-GSU Facebook group. Maybe we could make a Facebook group for the Fall 2018 cohort, but it would be useful to have a group with all MHI graduates (probably something the student rep would do).

18 hours ago, NanBD said:

Hey @zeeW Yupp, all those courses were just automatically added to my enrolled courses. 

And yeah, I agree with your assessment. The course-work at U of T seems to be a tad more rigourous/focused than at Mac, bit it also lacks the thesis/research paper component that Mac offers. 

Also, are you saying you declined Mac by accident? Omg 

Oh no, I've decided to decline my Mac offer but I think the only option that was available when they asked why I decline was that I decline by mistake so I just left it blank. I look forward to meeting you at UofT!

• 2 weeks later...