Marnicole

Do you all think that counseling psych programs will be as formal as clinical? I have a couple nice shirt options to wear with either a knee length professional skit or nice dress pants and heels.  I just despise wearing blazers and feel like I will be uncomfortable the whole time. ?

20 minutes ago, liznlex said:

Do you all think that counseling psych programs will be as formal as clinical? I have a couple nice shirt options to wear with either a knee length professional skit or nice dress pants and heels.  I just despise wearing blazers and feel like I will be uncomfortable the whole time. ?

Counseling and Clinical are more or less on the same footing nowadays. I'd say their levels of formality will be about the same.

2 hours ago, dancedementia said:

Counseling and Clinical are more or less on the same footing nowadays. I'd say their levels of formality will be about the same.

That's kind of what I was thinking.... I bought a blazer today that I am a little more comfortable in, so I'm gonna give it a try!

48 minutes ago, psyche132 said:

Should guys wear suits for non-clinical?? Thanks!

As @dancedementia pointed out, counseling is slowly catching up to clinical and are basically on even footing (and usually the two programs collaborate heavily) and therefore I would suggest a suit if you want to be safe. The best advice that I've been given is that it's way easier to dress down than it is to dress up. So if you end up wearing a suit you can always take off the jacket for a "less formal" outfit. However, my lab professor also advised me that he has a certain preference for his grad students which is business casual, so sometimes it is best to send a quick email out to the department that you are interviewing for and simply ask what they recommend. 

5 hours ago, liznlex said:

I literally had no concerns about attire until I read this thread, thanks ya'll ?

Lol. I felt the same way. Idk. I've decided I'm just not going to stress about it. Plenty of other things to worry about. 

honestly, business casual is a broad spectrum (and because of that tricky), so there's quite some room on what you can actually wear. Business casual for women is for example not necessarily a blazer. Just look presentable and definitely don't go in your big oversized sweater with the sports leggings you wear to class. 

• 1 month later...

For clinical programs, does anyone have advice about shoes? I (female) have a pair of beige/nude-colored pointed flats that I thought went well with my black slacks and grey blazer. However I am getting mixed opinions on it. Some are saying it's nice to have a nice neutral but still fashionable shoe, but some are saying it's not formal enough! What do you guys think? 

18 minutes ago, featherfloat said:

For clinical programs, does anyone have advice about shoes? I (female) have a pair of beige/nude-colored pointed flats that I thought went well with my black slacks and grey blazer. However I am getting mixed opinions on it. Some are saying it's nice to have a nice neutral but still fashionable shoe, but some are saying it's not formal enough! What do you guys think? 

Don't sweat the small stuff. I'd say this is perfectly fine. Personally I'd wear black flats to match the color of your outfit, but flats are just as fine as heels. Good luck!

8 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

Don't sweat the small stuff. I'd say this is perfectly fine. Personally I'd wear black flats to match the color of your outfit, but flats are just as fine as heels. Good luck!

Was about to say this. If you are really worried about "formality," black is a good default and would match your slacks. But just ask yourself, is it work the extra money? If so then don't get a super expensive pair. For example, my cheap shoes were literally $30 same with my cheap pad folio, which was $12, but people literally thought they were expensive.

Edited by Keyz

29 minutes ago, featherfloat said:

Agreed with the above. Neutral tones are completely fine. Bonus if they're comfortable. 

4 minutes ago, McMurphy said:

Agreed with the above. Neutral tones are completely fine. Bonus if they're comfortable. 

Thanks! I thought so at first but started second guessing myself reading forums saying clinical programs are more "business" than business casual. 

35 minutes ago, featherfloat said:

Thanks! I thought so at first but started second guessing myself reading forums saying clinical programs are more "business" than business casual. 

Understandable, it's hard not to second guess yourself when there are so many different options and opinions. You'll do great though regardless!