2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

40 minutes ago, mynameismyname said:

That's great! Quick question: were you accepted into the philosophy program, or for the religion, ethics, and philosophy degree? 

The regular, I think. Honestly, I didn't know there were two programs.

I had always assumed there would be a correlation between application deadline and the time that information came out but it looks like FSU's deadline was Jan 10th? That's a pretty short turnaround. Is it not the general rule that places with earlier deadlines will make decisions earlier?

49 minutes ago, tmck3053 said:

I had always assumed there would be a correlation between application deadline and the time that information came out but it looks like FSU's deadline was Jan 10th? That's a pretty short turnaround. Is it not the general rule that places with earlier deadlines will make decisions earlier?

I would say it's loosely correlated. I looked back 4-5 years on all the schools I've applied on the acceptance/rejection board, and it's not always the case that an earlier deadline equals an earlier decision. Either way, FSU was definitely very quick!

54 minutes ago, Goonasabi said:

I would say it's loosely correlated. I looked back 4-5 years on all the schools I've applied on the acceptance/rejection board, and it's not always the case that an earlier deadline equals an earlier decision. Either way, FSU was definitely very quick!

A tight correlation would make too much sense for the academic world! Congrats by the way on your offer at FSU - where does that sit in terms of your preferences?

1 hour ago, tmck3053 said:

A tight correlation would make too much sense for the academic world! Congrats by the way on your offer at FSU - where does that sit in terms of your preferences?

Thanks! Academically it's not super strong in my main AOI (although it's a great school--top 50). But geographically, it's preferable. It's about 2.5 hrs from my hometown, and it helps because my wife and I have a 3 month old baby girl. Being close to family would be nice.

Edited by Goonasabi

9 minutes ago, Goonasabi said:

Thanks! Academically it's not particularly high (although it's a fine school--top 50). But geographically, it's preferable. It's about 2.5 hrs from my hometown, and it helps because my wife and I have a 3 month old baby girl. Being close to family would be nice.

Oh lovely! Congrats (x2) on the little one! Are there any other schools that are similarly convenient that you're holding out for?

1 hour ago, tmck3053 said:

Oh lovely! Congrats (x2) on the little one! Are there any other schools that are similarly convenient that you're holding out for?

Thanks!

Not really. There aren't a ton of schools in the southeast which are strong in early modern, except for maybe UNC - Chapel Hill, which is close enough, and is quite strong in EM. Most of my schools are in the northeast or midwest. 

I wish you the best of luck in your applications. It sounds like you have put yourself in a good position to get in somewhere very good.

Who else applied to CUA? I find it odd that the person already received a rejection when the department website says they accept applications until Febuary 1. I also applied but the application website simply says my application is under review. I'm not sure if I'm just missing something, or maybe the department did a "pre" committee process, where they, for example, eliminated anyone without a master's degree or did GPA or GRE cuts. Weird behaviour. 

Hey you guys, long time lurker first time poster, I just wanted to put down my first acceptance at SUNY Binghamton SPEL program. My AOI is political philosophy and I'm really excited to be a part of a program so focused on my interests. For those looking to compare stats by GRE was abysmal V:166; Q:148; W3.0 with a 3.94 GPA. Anyways I'm just really excited and good luck to all the rest of you :D

3 hours ago, libraryghost said:

Hey you guys, long time lurker first time poster, I just wanted to put down my first acceptance at SUNY Binghamton SPEL program. My AOI is political philosophy and I'm really excited to be a part of a program so focused on my interests. For those looking to compare stats by GRE was abysmal V:166; Q:148; W3.0 with a 3.94 GPA. Anyways I'm just really excited and good luck to all the rest of you :D

Congrats!