2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

9 minutes ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

You received a message on a Saturday? was it via email or via the website?

I posted that on the 26th, which was a Friday. It was just a generic email from the graduate school. I have yet to be contacted by the philosophy department itself.

50 minutes ago, lyellgeo said:

I don't think (or at least am hoping for my own sake) that Penn State has sent out philosophy acceptances yet. Usually they do interviews first, anyway. Your note indicates Political Science, so you may be in the wrong forum. 

Oh, whoops! I didn't even notice it said Philosophy! I'm off my game today, lol

4 hours ago, be. said:

I was surprised not just by the early timing of the rejections, but also by the stats of those rejected. I would have expected those rejected this early on to have poor stats, which would indicate that Yale is using a GPA/GRE cutoff. 

I’m a bit suspicious that all the first round Yale rejections had 170/170 GRE scores. 

2 hours ago, Swann said:

i received some very good news from the one program I applied to!

my notification seems to be early (based on previous years, the program doesn't notify applicants until late feb-early march), so i'm hesitant to give out details—i don't want to make other applicants anxious, thinking they'll hear soon. but, maybe the program has just decided to announce early this year. 

You’ve now made me anxious about every single program I applied to

(also massive congratulations btw!)

3 hours ago, Swann said:

i received some very good news from the one program I applied to!

my notification seems to be early (based on previous years, the program doesn't notify applicants until late feb-early march), so i'm hesitant to give out details—i don't want to make other applicants anxious, thinking they'll hear soon. but, maybe the program has just decided to announce early this year. 

Congrats. Your ambiguity is at least as anxiety-inducing as specificity... but I understand!

14 minutes ago, kretschmar said:

Congrats. Your ambiguity is at least as anxiety-inducing as specificity... but I understand!

yea, now that i've thought about it, i should have waited to post until i wasn't going to be ambiguous. i guess i just got too excited...:wacko:sorry, everyone.

2 hours ago, Swann said:

yea, now that i've thought about it, i should have waited to post until i wasn't going to be ambiguous. i guess i just got too excited...:wacko:sorry, everyone.

Hey I wouldn't worry about it too much at all! Congratulations on the offer you've received! Hopefully you're excited about it!

As someone from Australia I was slightly surprised that so many people are reporting receiving offers by phone. Barely anything over here is conducted by phone when it comes to university stuff. 

16 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Alright you schmucks! It's been 2 days! Get accepted to places so I can feel hope!

Don't you think we're trying? Are you doing your part?

Seriously though, this is probably one of the most anxious periods of my life. I think I would feel better with just one response, good or bad, acknowledging my applications and the work I put into them.

40 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Alright you schmucks! It's been 2 days! Get accepted to places so I can feel hope!

I’m trying over here as well! I’ve found that the best way to distract myself from obsessing over admissions decisions is to participate in pub quizzes. I’d love to do a Pub Quiz PhD...

2 hours ago, PhiloStorian said:

Don't you think we're trying? Are you doing your part?

Seriously though, this is probably one of the most anxious periods of my life. I think I would feel better with just one response, good or bad, acknowledging my applications and the work I put into them.

I feel the same way. All I really wanted out of this cycle was acknowledgement. It breaks my heart to see candidates getting stock-response email rejections.

2 hours ago, MishaPanda said:

I’m trying over here as well! I’ve found that the best way to distract myself from obsessing over admissions decisions is to participate in pub quizzes. I’d love to do a Pub Quiz PhD...

Pub Quiz PhD  Liberal Studies PhD

13 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

I feel the same way. All I really wanted out of this cycle was acknowledgement. It breaks my heart to see candidates getting stock-response email rejections

One example of that is "recommendation for our (typically unfunded) MA program,"  which NYU, for one, seems to have done last year.  My sense is that it is a lame and transparent way of feigning genuine interest in a set of applicants they don't want.  And as a user noted last year, what is especially repugnant about it is the element of a sales pitch on top of the (feigned non-) stock response.

3 hours ago, PhiloStorian said:

I got a letter from UNM Admissions in the mail today.  With bated breath I opened it to find they will snail-mail you a letter to request missing materials.  Guess I picked a good day to check the mail this month...  I guess that's better than a cookie cutter rejection notice, but to my mind it fits nicely with the rest of the inexplicable cluelessness that's bound to be on the rise again. 

I’ve just seen somebody just posted receiving an acceptance email from Berkeley today, so we can all start biting our nails more feverishly again! (That’s one of the programmes I’ve applied to, so my nail-biting shall commence promplty!) 

4 minutes ago, MishaPanda said:

I’ve just seen somebody just posted receiving an acceptance email from Berkeley today, so we can all start biting our nails more feverishly again! (That’s one of the programmes I’ve applied to, so my nail-biting shall commence promplty!) 

Got the WL email moments ago. 

It begins friends.

i posted one of the berkeley acceptances. for those interested, my aoi are history of modern philosophy (esp. kant, nietzsche, wittgenstein), aesthetics and perception, and method. 

while there are some details i'll need to work out and think over, it is likely that i will accept this offer

Edited by Swann

11 minutes ago, Swann said:

i posted one of the berkeley acceptances. for those interested, my aoi are history of modern philosophy (esp. kant, nietzsche, wittgenstein), aesthetics and perception, and method. 

while there are some details i'll need to work out and think over, it is likely that i will accept this offer

Do you mind sharing who contacted you? Was it the DGA or your POI?

26 minutes ago, Swann said:

Congratulations! Was this the programme you were talking about having heard from in the post from yesterday? 

Edited by MishaPanda

19 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

Do you mind sharing who contacted you? Was it the DGA or your POI?

email from dr. noe, who i believe is sending out all the notifications (though, i may be wrong. perhaps another person with admit or wl notification could help confirm one way or another)

5 minutes ago, MishaPanda said:

Congratulations! Was this the programme you were talking about having heard from in the post from yesterday? 

thank you! yes, it is. i did not realize they would be sending out official notifications so soon. 

18 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Dr. Noe for me too.

Prof Noë is the man! Not only does he have the most epic beard, but he’s also one of my dream supervisors. 

Edited by MishaPanda