2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

1 hour ago, wayfarin' stranger said:

Someone just got the green light from Chicago.  Woot, congratulations!  I'd be buzzing... :D Now for my part, it is officially time to ramp up the anxiety!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I have literally nothing to do at work at the moment either so it's so hard not to check my emails every couple of minutes, waiting on top, 3rd & 5th choice! (Chi, Berk, SB)

9 hours ago, genderphage said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I have literally nothing to do at work at the moment either so it's so hard not to check my emails every couple of minutes, waiting on top, 3rd & 5th choice! (Chi, Berk, SB)

I'm pretty sure I refresh my email in my sleep at this point...

10 minutes ago, philosobro said:

I am not sure that Chicago acceptance is genuine. It seems odd that (i) Chicago would send just one out at a given time and (ii) the acceptance would come this early. Chicago usually releases Feb 6-Feb 10. 

I agree.  But, as a philosopher, I also have to point out that the post is ambiguous as to which university is being referenced.  Does "Chicago" name UChicago, UIC, Loyola University Chicago?  It is unclear.

8 minutes ago, Cogitodoncrien said:

I agree.  But, as a philosopher, I also have to point out that the post is ambiguous as to which university is being referenced.  Does "Chicago" name UChicago, UIC, Loyola University Chicago?  It is unclear.

To my mind that is understood to mean UChicago.  And who am I to question this pillar on which lies the justification for my anxious freakout which knows no boundaries...

3 minutes ago, philosobro said:

What were some of your guys writing sample on?

Aesthetics, contra white people can play the blues.  Not in my AOI though.  Current MA thesis topic is pro self-knowledge as a virtue for Nietzsche.  Primary AOI.

46 minutes ago, philosobro said:

I am not sure that Chicago acceptance is genuine. It seems odd that (i) Chicago would send just one out at a given time and (ii) the acceptance would come this early. Chicago usually releases Feb 6-Feb 10. 

There's a good explanation for this. UChicago is doing interviews this year (I received an interview request, and mine is tomorrow). I take it that they're doing 2-3 interviews a day, and sending out acceptances accordingly in phases. 

Edited by Metanoia

4 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

There's a good explanation for this. UChicago is doing interviews this year (I received an interview request, and mine is tomorrow). I take it that they're doing 2-3 interviews a day, and sending out acceptances accordingly in phases. 

congratulations! do you know if they have sent out all of their request for interviews? (If so, my heart has just been utterly ripped out of my chest, slammed on the floor and jumped on. Not really but I would know not to hope for much with respect to Chicago).

5 minutes ago, philosobro said:

congratulations! do you know if they have sent out all of their request for interviews? (If so, my heart has just been utterly ripped out of my chest, slammed on the floor and jumped on. Not really but I would know not to hope for much with respect to Chicago).

With that description, I really hope not!

But more seriously, I really can't say. I got an email from them on Monday, and was asked to pick a slot for either Wednesday or Thursday. FWIW, the email came from the dept. administrator, not from a professor.

Edited by Metanoia

4 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

With that description, I really hope not!

But more seriously, I really can't say. I got an email from them on Monday, and was asked to pick a slot for either Wednesday or Thursday. FWIW, the email came from the dept. administrator, not from a professor.

Oh alright. Well, congratulations again! 

27 minutes ago, philosobro said:

What were some of your guys writing sample on?

Mine was an interpretive paper on Aristotle, particularly on an important connection between his ethics and his metaphysics. 

5 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

Mine was an interpretive paper on Aristotle, particularly on an important connection between his ethics and his metaphysics. 

This sounds interesting. I don't know to what extent you are interested in the connection between ethics and metaphysics in general (aside from Aristotelian scholarship, say), but there is some interesting material on this in the literature of grounding which seems pertinent to your project.

For instance, people like Selim Berker (2014, "The Unity of Grounding") believe that there is only one notion of ground, which interconnects ethics and metaphysics, as opposed to multiple fundamental notions for the metaphysical, natural and normative. Since grounding literature dates back in a sense to Aristotle, I thought you might take your paper to go beyond an interpretative paper and bear on a more general discussion. Seems worth taking a look at!