2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

On 07/03/2018 at 8:12 PM, eigenname said:

I completely understand - I just want this torment to end!

I contacted Martin Lin at Rutgers today, though, and solicited a rejection. Perhaps you could try too - he was pretty friendly, if understandably curt. 

I also contacted Prinz at CUNY, and Paul at UNC Chapel Hill today, but haven't heard anything yet. Will let you know if I hear anything from CUNY :) 

Has anyone heard from CUNY? In the same boat, still no news.

Also, to whomever asked about Toronto, I can claim being waitlisted.

Edited by RussellsPipe

3 hours ago, eigenname said:

From UNC: 

I am sorry that we can’t give you any more information at this time. At this point, we have made offers and constructed a waitlist, but we have not sent out rejections because we have not made final determinations about the applicant pool. As soon as our entering class is filled we will process rejections. I am sorry I can’t tell you anything more about your personal situation. I know this is a stressful period and UNC will be in touch as soon as it is possible to give you more information.

In other words, probably rejected (but she can't formally say), but if, somehow, everyone on the waitlist and all offer holders rejected their offers perhaps we'll have a chance. So, hey, non-zero probability!

Edit: Offer Holders/Waitlisted People: you know what to do! 

There have been no reports of wait lists from UNC anywhere. So I'm assuming they haven't notified those individuals yet? I'm hoping so, at least. Thanks for sending that email.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you mentioned the thing about waitlists not going out. Crossing my fingers....

Edited by Goonasabi

44 minutes ago, RussellsPipe said:

Has anyone heard from CUNY? In the same boat, still no news.

Also, to whomever asked about Toronto, I can claim being waitlisted.

Solicited, but no reply from CUNY; I bet they are doing the same as UNC, waiting for offer-holders and wait-listed people to make up their minds. Fair, I guess.

4 hours ago, ArendtYouKidding said:

When did you solicit? I solicited Monday and haven't heard anything back. 

I'm sorry you heard back bad news. 

I emailed him yesterday morning and he got back to me yesterday evening. Perhaps that means they haven't made a decision yet on your application?

Edited by ThePeon

On 3/7/2018 at 1:36 PM, yhkim said:

Thanks!!! I personally don't find NYU more attractive than Harvard or UCLA.  I guess I should find out more about the faculty members and the atmosphere during the visit... In fact, my POIs in Harvard and NYU are mostly assistant professors, which is also complicating the decision... duh

I really like Samuel Scheffler and Liam Murphy at NYU. They were my POIs. How were your school visits btw? Maybe we can chat using PMs? 

23 hours ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

I see that some people solicited responses from BC and that they have snail mailed rejection letters accordingly. Oh lord. I haven't solicited a response but will assume I am rejected since I heard nothing. They need to not use snail mail.

But this means that BC is probably snail-mailing acceptances too...

I also remember reading that someone was just waitlisted at SLU on Thursday. Since some SLU decisions came out way before that, I think it's safe to say that they use some sort of hidden/expanded waitlist.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:26 AM, LORDBACON said:

Replies from Syracuse (R), Boston C. (R), Fordham (decision next week), and UNM (decision was snail-mailed out on Tuesday). 

Man, I wish Fordham were giving you more time. I wonder why they have to decide next week (unless "waitlist" is a possibility for that decision). I can't accept or reject my Fordham offer until I hear back from BC, SLU, and 2 more MA's.

2 hours ago, episode413 said:

I really like Samuel Scheffler and Liam Murphy at NYU. They were my POIs. How were your school visits btw? Maybe we can chat using PMs? 

Great but I'm not in the US yet haha My visits start next week and my visit to NYU is at the end of the month!

7 hours ago, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

But this means that BC is probably snail-mailing acceptances too...

I also remember reading that someone was just waitlisted at SLU on Thursday. Since some SLU decisions came out way before that, I think it's safe to say that they use some sort of hidden/expanded waitlist.

Man, I wish Fordham were giving you more time. I wonder why they have to decide next week (unless "waitlist" is a possibility for that decision). I can't accept or reject my Fordham offer until I hear back from BC, SLU, and 2 more MA's.

So is Fordham also using some kind of hidden waitlist, or were the waitlists on Fordham before just fake? I also haven't heard from them. And I don't know what is up with BC.

Edited by Neither Here Nor There

1 hour ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

So is Fordham also using some kind of hidden waitlist, or were the waitlists on Fordham before just fake? I also haven't heard from them. And I don't know what is up with BC.

Maybe "waitlist" means "the top 5 people we haven't rejected outright" or something. So everyone else who hasn't been rejected outright is de-facto waitlisted.

1 hour ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

So is Fordham also using some kind of hidden waitlist, or were the waitlists on Fordham before just fake?

I have a legit waitlist from Fordham! If I get accepted off the waitlist, I can't make a choice about Fordham until NIU gets back to me about funding or I get some life-changing news from Chapel Hill. Right now, I'm really unsure about what I want to do, and so I'm trying to keep my options open.

Edited by soproperlybasic

Thought I'd jump in and just say that if the future resembles the past, UNC only lets prospective students know they're on the waitlist if they're being invited to the prospective weekend. From what I can tell, all people come to the prospective weekend this year are accepted. Otherwise, prospective students sit in limbo until enough people reject offers so that they need to pull deeper from the waitlist (this has happened the past two years with people being given an acceptance on the deadline day in April). I don't have any official knowledge on this, but based on what UNC looks for when creating a cohort, I doubt the waitlist is strictly ranked and that there are multiple factors that go into deciding who gets an acceptance next. 

Hopefully, some of that helps! I'd say day before/day of the deadline would not be a bad day to check your status at UNC if it would change your decision. Someone in the cohort below me emailed Laurie the deadline day and was told to wait to make any decisions for some specific period of time to hear back from another applicant. 

Again, I have no official knowledge of the issue, I haven't talked to Laurie, the adcom, or prospective weekend organizers, but based on my experience as a former prospective weekend organizer, so this is my educated speculation and so on and so on and so on. 

Edited by sidebysondheim

Anyone else got a sneaky change on their Toronto app from 'under review' to 'decision made'? Someone else posted something about it on the results listing. I completely forgot I still haven't heard back from them officially, but I imagine it's probably a rejection, though. 

Edited by eigenname

On 3/9/2018 at 10:26 AM, LORDBACON said:

Replies from Syracuse (R), Boston C. (R), Fordham (decision next week), and UNM (decision was snail-mailed out on Tuesday). 

Thanks for this. Any word on whether UNM is sending out both rejections and acceptances, or just one of the two?

19 hours ago, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

Maybe "waitlist" means "the top 5 people we haven't rejected outright" or something. So everyone else who hasn't been rejected outright is de-facto waitlisted.

I was actually waitlisted at Fordham. The notification was posted on my portal.

Accepted: University of Georgia

Waitlisted: Georgia State

Rejected: UW-Madison, University of Michigan, Arizona State (so hard, one sentence email...yikes!), Columbia

Unknown (probably rejections): Cornell, UT-Austin, Simon Fraser, Arizona, CU-Boulder

3 hours ago, prettyhorse said:

Why hasn't UCSD sent out rejections yet, anybody know?

I got an email a few weeks ago that I'm one if 10 people on an unranked waitlist.  They may be waiting on rejections to keep an unofficial back up waitlist, so if you haven't gotten a response it's probably not a rejection, but odds aren't great.   

Edit,  my portal still says "under review"  I don't think they change it unless you're a hard accepted or rejected. 

Edited by CogSciRob

3 hours ago, elviejo said:

Accepted: University of Georgia

Waitlisted: Georgia State

Rejected: UW-Madison, University of Michigan, Arizona State (so hard, one sentence email...yikes!), Columbia

Unknown (probably rejections): Cornell, UT-Austin, Simon Fraser, Arizona, CU-Boulder

Haha I also was accepted by UGA and waitlisted by Georgia State (MA)!

Rejected by Notre Dame and still waiting to hear from UNC, DePaul, and Vanderbilt, but I'm not too hopeful. 

21 minutes ago, big modality said:

y'all what's up with uconn

I sent an email to Mitch Green on Monday or Tuesday trying to get some info. He hasn't responded yet. Someone else here sent him an email and learned that they were rejected. Don't know what the deal is with UConn's weird inconsistency with releasing information.