2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

5 minutes ago, lyellgeo said:

Received phd funding at Memphis, So, right now, the decision is between them and GSU.

Anyone have thoughts on how to navigate that decision? Some things to keep in mind:

a) I'm not particularly considered with eventually ending up at a research institution—teaching at a community college or elsewhere would be nice. If I had to move into the private sector afterwards, that's not a huge deal either. I get the sense that I'm somewhat unusual in this way with respect to other applicants, so any thoughts on it would be helpful. 

b ) GSU has great placement, though obviously even a good MA doesn't guarantee landing up in a ranked phd. 

c) Memphis is a close fit for my research interests

d) The phd funding is (as one would expect) much better than GSU's, which means I won't (aside from any emergency) have to use my savings to do the MA. 

If you have thoughts, definitely feel free to discuss over PM or respond to this post

I think the right choice here really depends on the extent to which you regard the prospects of teaching community college instead of a tenure-track position at a research university as no big deal. If you hardly care at all, then I’d go with the PhD offer since Memphis is a good fit for you. But if there is a substantial part of you that wants the TT gig at a research university, then I’d consider GSU. But based on what you said, I’d lean toward Memphis. 

2 hours ago, lyellgeo said:

Received phd funding at Memphis, So, right now, the decision is between them and GSU.

Anyone have thoughts on how to navigate that decision? Some things to keep in mind:

a) I'm not particularly concerned with eventually ending up at a research institution—teaching at a community college or elsewhere would be nice. If I had to move into the private sector afterwards, that's not a huge deal either. I get the sense that I'm somewhat unusual in this way with respect to other applicants, so any thoughts on it would be helpful. 

b ) GSU has great placement, though obviously even a good MA doesn't guarantee landing up in a ranked phd (and even a ranked phd doesn't guarantee TT placement). 

d) The phd funding is (as one would expect) much better than GSU's, which means I won't have to use my personal savings (unlike if I were to do the MA). 

If you have thoughts, definitely feel free to discuss over PM or respond to this post

I would add some other things to consider, in addition to the important point by @machineghost.

One, the opportunity cost of going to GSU for two years. Very few masters courses transfer to PhD programs, so you'll be in graduate school for an extra two years if you go to GSU, making less money than you might otherwise in those years either teaching or establishing a new career in the private sector. 

Two, I've heard that the teaching requirements at GSU are quite intense, so make sure you factor that in. It's going to be an intense two years while at the same time you'll be forced to draw on your savings.

Three, recognize that going to an MA program is a real risk when you already have a PhD acceptance in hand. There is no guarantee that you will be accepted to PhD programs after the masters just because you were accepted to a PhD program now. There is also not a guarantee that if you are accepted into a PhD program after the masters that you will be accepted to Memphis again, or that the school will be as good or better of a fit for you as Memphis is for you now. I've read anecdotes of people being accepted to only worse programs after an MA, or no programs at all. To be sure, it might be a worthwhile risk, as you get another shot at getting into a higher ranked program, this time with a better application. Your odds will be better, but there is still a chance of there being a worse outcome. 

Edited by ThePeon

a) I'm not particularly concerned with eventually ending up at a research institution—teaching at a community college or elsewhere would be nice. If I had to move into the private sector afterwards, that's not a huge deal either. I get the sense that I'm somewhat unusual in this way with respect to other applicants, so any thoughts on it would be helpful. 

b ) GSU has great placement, though obviously even a good MA doesn't guarantee landing up in a ranked phd (and even a ranked phd doesn't guarantee TT placement). 

d) The phd funding is (as one would expect) much better than GSU's, which means I won't have to use my personal savings (unlike if I were to do the MA). 

I think @ThePeon and @machineghost have pretty well covered the practical aspects of this decision. I will, however, add one comment about the psychological aspects.

If you take Memphis's offer, to what degree will you be plagued by "what if" questions? This is, I think, no easy question to answer. I'm enough of a Nietzschean to think that most people (myself most definitely included) are masters of self deception. So, saying this will not be a problem now, doesn't guarantee you won't feel otherwise in a couple of years. I'm not sure this is a good enough reason to go with GSU, but it's something to keep in mind. Part of this depends on whether there are other "dream programs" that a terminal MA might open up for you. Of course, PhD admissions being as unpredictable as they are, there's no guarantee of anything. 

I'm in a similar boat, I have on offer from a ranked program and waitlist at top 25. I personally think it's worth the opportunity cost. An MA never hurt anyone, a PhD you aren't happy with, that's another story. Sure, you may apply after the MA and strike out, but you can always apply again, and an MA will let you teach a few courses at least. You stand to gain more than you do to lose from the MA in my opinion, but if you feel you fit better at Memphis, that's a harder decision...

Best of luck! Maybe we'll run into each other at GSU, though if I have my choice I'll end up at NIU if I do an MA

8 hours ago, tbphilstudent said:

Thanks for this. Any word on whether UNM is sending out both rejections and acceptances, or just one of the two?

"The decision letters for the department were mailed out on Tuesday and should arrive soon."  Sounds like all decisions have been sent out.

On 3/10/2018 at 11:08 AM, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

Man, I wish Fordham were giving you more time. I wonder why they have to decide next week (unless "waitlist" is a possibility for that decision). I can't accept or reject my Fordham offer until I hear back from BC, SLU, and 2 more MA's.

Congratulations on your acceptance and I hope you'll get your pick.  I'm not fretting about it as the department which is likely the best fit for me made me an offer.  

Solicited rejection from TAMU (Texas A&M) via email: " The graduate admissions committee has had its meeting and made our decisions about initial acceptances and the waitlist. Unfortunately, we did not put you in either group. I hope things are going well for you otherwise."

7 hours ago, lyellgeo said:

I would take the phd offer because phd applications are so stressful, and it is going to be hard to put them in in two years while writing a thesis and teaching. (This is why I neded up waiting an additional year and wasting a year of my life - it was too stressful to do the MA, get letters, and write and the SOP and edit the writing sample and do conference papers and work 20 hours a week all at the same time) But of course, as everyone said, it would depend on your career goals. I don't actually want to teach at a research university, so my priority is a close fit. Do what you need to do for your priorities and beware that your professors might not know what your personal priorities are. 

I solicited a bunch of schools today and heard back from most of them. Surprisingly got waitlisted at UConn and Cornell. Have there been any other wait lists for Cornell? I know they sent out a lot of rejections today, so if others haven't heard back from them, it's possible you're on a wait list, too. I also got rejected from Toronto and NYU - Jessica Moss at NYU apologized for taking so long to get official letters out, but it sounds like they will go out soon. And Tufts said applications are under review and we should hear back within the next few weeks. Didn't hear anything from Rutgers, though I'm assuming a rejection from them.

Best of luck to everyone!

5 minutes ago, Aqua1818 said:

I solicited a bunch of schools today and heard back from most of them. Surprisingly got waitlisted at UConn and Cornell. Have there been any other wait lists for Cornell? I know they sent out a lot of rejections today, so if others haven't heard back from them, it's possible you're on a wait list, too. I also got rejected from Toronto and NYU - Jessica Moss at NYU apologized for taking so long to get official letters out, but it sounds like they will go out soon. And Tufts said applications are under review and we should hear back within the next few weeks. Didn't hear anything from Rutgers, though I'm assuming a rejection from them.

Best of luck to everyone!

Who did you email at UConn? Did they say anything about when official notices will go out? I emailed Mitchell Green a week ago and he hasn't responded to me. Congrats on the waitlists though! Getting in to Cornell is no simple task. Any other places you're waiting to hear from or offers you're considering?

Sorry for pouncing on any post that mentions UConn but I'm dying to hear from them. 

1 hour ago, Halcyon23 said:

Who did you email at UConn? Did they say anything about when official notices will go out? I emailed Mitchell Green a week ago and he hasn't responded to me. Congrats on the waitlists though! Getting in to Cornell is no simple task. Any other places you're waiting to hear from or offers you're considering?

Sorry for pouncing on any post that mentions UConn but I'm dying to hear from them. 

No problem, I'd been dying to hear from UConn myself. I emailed Mitchell Green today, and the response didn't say much definite except "the Admissions Committee in the Department of Philosophy at UConn has now met to consider all applicants," so I'd hope they can let people know soon. 

And thanks! I got a really nice offer from UMass, accepted to Oxford's BPhil program, and I was fully expecting rejections from everywhere else. The waitlists are a nice surprise, though I'm still dubious I'd actually get accepted by them.

edit: just found my rejection for Rutgers on the online portal!

Edited by Aqua1818

10 hours ago, prtrbd said:

Cornell rejections just went out. :)

They did indeed. If the numbers mentioned in the email are accurate, then I am sure glad they waived my application fee ha! :(

5 hours ago, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

Just denied at SLU. Boldface type urges me to contact the program if I want to know why.

I received the same instructions from ASU. I am curious if anyone has actually reached out. What are they going to say? "So as you know, you did not make it. Your GRE and Writing Sample were horrendous, Statement of Purpose mediocre, and Letters of Recommendation were stupendous. Thanks for paying our application fee, your donation to the program is greatly appreciated."?

1 hour ago, Aqua1818 said:

No problem, I'd been dying to hear from UConn myself. I emailed Mitchell Green today, and the response didn't say much definite except "the Admissions Committee in the Department of Philosophy at UConn has now met to consider all applicants," so I'd hope they can let people know soon. 

And thanks! I got a really nice offer from UMass, accepted to Oxford's BPhil program, and I was fully expecting rejections from everywhere else. The waitlists are a nice surprise, though I'm still dubious I'd actually get accepted by them.

edit: just found my rejection for Rutgers on the online portal!

Awesome thanks. Now I have my fingers crossed on some good news from Mitchell Green in the next few days. I'm a bit jealous of the UMass offer, I'd take that, but that's just me haha.

24 minutes ago, elviejo said:

In at Simon Fraser (MA) with funding. Still waiting from U of Arizona, CU-Boulder, U of Texas-Austin, and Claremont (MA). Has anyone heard from those four programs?

UT-Austin sent out some acceptances a while back but I don't think they've done rejections or waitlists yet. As seems to be the norm with me, I've emailed them but received no response.

2 hours ago, elviejo said:

I received the same instructions from ASU. I am curious if anyone has actually reached out. What are they going to say? "So as you know, you did not make it. Your GRE and Writing Sample were horrendous, Statement of Purpose mediocre, and Letters of Recommendation were stupendous. Thanks for paying our application fee, your donation to the program is greatly appreciated."?

Well, I'm curious about SLU because I felt that of all 8 applications I filled out, that was my strongest one. Other than my small-ish alma mater and my lackluster (but original and more-or-less decently argued) writing sample, one or both of which must have been the problem.

10 hours ago, Halcyon23 said:

UT-Austin sent out some acceptances a while back but I don't think they've done rejections or waitlists yet. As seems to be the norm with me, I've emailed them but received no response.

Thanks for the news.