2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

30 minutes ago, elviejo said:

Thanks for the news. 

They did announce a waitlist, at least based on the results page. I’ve presumed a rejection from UT-Austin, or, at best, a hidden waitlist. Either way, your goose is probably cooked if you haven’t heard from them.

Turns out I was on the USC waitlist but had no idea because they used an email address to get in touch with me which I haven't opened in months lol.

For those of you who are waitlisted and can't make it to the open days, do you think this might negatively affect your chances of getting an offer? I'm in the middle of Europe and am already making a pretty big sacrifice to go to the Brown visit days, and as much as I would love to 'squeeze a few more days in', as they put it, it's just not feasible :( Plus I gave my word to Brown.

Rejected at Rutgers (saw on the portal earlier today and just received an e-mail as well).

1 hour ago, fizzycalism said:

Turns out I was on the USC waitlist but had no idea because they used an email address to get in touch with me which I haven't opened in months lol.

For those of you who are waitlisted and can't make it to the open days, do you think this might negatively affect your chances of getting an offer? I'm in the middle of Europe and am already making a pretty big sacrifice to go to the Brown visit days, and as much as I would love to 'squeeze a few more days in', as they put it, it's just not feasible :( Plus I gave my word to Brown.

As someone who lives on the other side of the world, I certainly hope not!

59 minutes ago, Aqua1818 said:

official NYU rejections are going out... along with the plug for their master's program in bioethics...

I got that as well, pretty laughable.

13 hours ago, elviejo said:

In at Simon Fraser (MA) with funding. Still waiting from U of Arizona, CU-Boulder, U of Texas-Austin, and Claremont (MA). Has anyone heard from those four programs?

When did you get the news about Simon Fraser, if I may? Still waiting on them.

2 hours ago, fizzycalism said:

I doubt it will affect your chances. They will understand that if you are accepted at Brown, then it is in you will want to visit them over a waitlist opportunity.

In your position, I would probably call them about the visit and tell them you want to come but cannot. Then either try to organize another time to visit, or come to the conclusion that you cannot visit and ask them if this will affect your chances of being pulled from the waitlist. I think a phone call will show you are interested an proactive, and at the end you get some some useful information or a new time to visit.

Finally got the rejection from Fordham.

There are 4 depts I've solicited news from who are not responding at all: UCR, UCSD, Depaul, Vanderbilt

Should be hearing from SIU Carbondale soon.  UNM letter's on the way. 

I was also rejected from the U.Chicago Nef Committee on Social Thought a few days ago. 

Edited by LORDBACON

14 hours ago, Halcyon23 said:

UT-Austin sent out some acceptances a while back but I don't think they've done rejections or waitlists yet. As seems to be the norm with me, I've emailed them but received no response.

I can confirm UT-Austin has sent at least some waitlist decisions. The email I received was sent March 2, stating I am “rather high” on the waitlist. I’d be interested to know if other waitlist recipients received similar messages. 

So far, I am accepted at UC-Davis, Mizzou, and University of Utah, waitlisted at UT-Austin and University of Toronto. I Removed myself from the waitlist for the MA program at UBC (rejected from PhD). I haven’t heard anything from CU-Boulder or UC-Riverside. 

I will most likely turn down the offers from Utah and Mizzou by the end of March. I’m hopeful that something might come of my waitlist options, but if not, I am pretty excited about the UC-Davis acceptance. 

13 hours ago, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

Well, I'm curious about SLU because I felt that of all 8 applications I filled out, that was my strongest one. Other than my small-ish alma mater and my lackluster (but original and more-or-less decently argued) writing sample, one or both of which must have been the problem.

Were you dropped from the wait list? Have you written them to find out why, or do you intend to?

4 hours ago, machineghost said:

They did announce a waitlist, at least based on the results page. I’ve presumed a rejection from UT-Austin, or, at best, a hidden waitlist. Either way, your goose is probably cooked if you haven’t heard from them.

26 minutes ago, plebeu said:

I can confirm UT-Austin has sent at least some waitlist decisions. The email I received was sent March 2, stating I am “rather high” on the waitlist. I’d be interested to know if other waitlist recipients received similar messages. 

So far, I am accepted at UC-Davis, Mizzou, and University of Utah, waitlisted at UT-Austin and University of Toronto. I Removed myself from the waitlist for the MA program at UBC (rejected from PhD). I haven’t heard anything from CU-Boulder or UC-Riverside. 

I will most likely turn down the offers from Utah and Mizzou by the end of March. I’m hopeful that something might come of my waitlist options, but if not, I am pretty excited about the UC-Davis acceptance. 

RIP my chances at Austin. Ah well. I got waitlisted at Davis and I'm hopeful of that, plus I still need to hear back from some other schools.

So, when I reached out UT-Austin told me that "Unfortunately you are not among those being admitted or on the wait list at this time.  Things could still change in the next couple of weeks, but for now we cannot admit you."

Did anyone else get a similar response? Maybe they keep people in limbo on a secret waitlist rather than rejecting them. I am wary of getting my hopes up. 

36 minutes ago, Fregeskind said:

So, when I reached out UT-Austin told me that "Unfortunately you are not among those being admitted or on the wait list at this time.  Things could still change in the next couple of weeks, but for now we cannot admit you."

Did anyone else get a similar response? Maybe they keep people in limbo on a secret waitlist rather than rejecting them. I am wary of getting my hopes up. 

Seems like a popular strategy nowadays. I guess it's to keep yield consistent or something? Seems like UNC and CUNY are also doing this.

12 hours ago, plebeu said:

my ut austin waitlist also said I was "rather high" on the waitlist

4 hours ago, big modality said:

my ut austin waitlist also said I was "rather high" on the waitlist

Same. I guess quite a few people are “rather high” on the waitlist then. 

8 hours ago, Fregeskind said:

UT-Austin has historically used secret waitlists. When I applied there a couple of years ago, I did not receive an acceptance or a waitlist notification but also did not receive a rejection notification when the rejections initially went out. I assumed that I was rejected and a month or so went by and I needed to make a decision, so I contacted them just to make sure I was rejected but I wasn’t. I was told that I was in a pool of strong applicants that they might draw from if need be. I got the impression that I was actually quite close to being admitted but, in the end. I wasn’t. So, you will know a bit more when they send out their initial rejections. If you don’t receice anything then, it is safe to assume that you are on a not-so-secret waitlist.

I may just be way behind the times, but @Neither Here Nor There just told me that Boston College acceptances have been out for quite a while now. @LORDBACON, @Needle In The Hay, I feel like you guys were waiting to hear back from them too? I take it we're all more or less rejected at this point.