2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

3 hours ago, Descartes blanche said:

I noticed you're holding onto U Maryland. Are you still considering that to be a competitor with the two strong M.A. programs? Are there any waitlisted Ph.D. programs - if admitted - that you would immediately accept? (I'm not actually in the running for any of those, just curious)

I wish I knew the answer to that question (incoming jumbled thoughts). Assuming none of my remaining waitlists come through, I'm leaning towards one of the MAs but not decisively. This process is brutal, and while my odds after finishing one of those MAs would be good they aren't pristine. To be in at any PhD program is an accomplishment. I also resent the pedigree-bias that I have against Maryland, which makes me uncomfortable with declining their offer.

On the other hand, I should probably scrap for every advantage that isn't unethical, knowing how difficult this business is, and it certainly wouldn't be unethical to choose, say, Brandeis over Maryland.

As for the the last question, I think I would be very likely to accept Madison or Bloomington should they come knocking, but I don't think I would immediately say yes to any of them. I would want to at least sleep on it, assuming it isn't April 15 and I don't have time to do that.

So, far, only have an offer in hand from University of Cincinnati. I visited and had a great time, but it's a pretty rough fit for my interests generally (broadly, ethics, also some ancient, a bit of metaphysics, Wittgenstein, some others--my interests are all over the place but they mostly all revolve around or otherwise relate to ethics).

Officially waitlisted at Indiana (5th!!) and Virginia (same automated email as the rest of you). Had a great visit at Indiana just a week ago or so, got to meet Allan Wood, which was pretty intense. 

Chapel Hill and UT Austin are just black holes as far as information it seems, but I'm still keeping my hope alive for both.

Edited by AlanGibbardMegafan

5 hours ago, Swann said:

i see a "declining offers 2018" thread, but not an "accepting offers 2018" thread, so i'll post this here...

i've recently accepted my offer from berkeley. has anyone else decided to go to there?

With this, which offers have you rejected?

9 hours ago, quinessloopypun said:

With this, which offers have you rejected?

berkeley was my only offer, so unfortunately my decision does not free up space at other programs

22 minutes ago, prtrbd said:

I have also just accepted my only offer. Good luck to everyone with waitlists and final decisions and feel free to PM me on here if you want to keep in touch about philosophy going forward.

Congrat! Mind me asking where it is?

1 hour ago, Fregeskind said:

Anyone planning to wait till April 15th like me?

I have several potentially attractive wait lists, so yes, I will probably be making a decision very close to the deadline. 

2 hours ago, Fregeskind said:

Anyone planning to wait till April 15th like me?

Don't have much of a choice to be honest. Fingers crossed for moving from waitlist to acceptance on 2 schools and waiting for some info to return from the void that is the handful of other schools that refuse to return my emails.

On 3/30/2018 at 2:12 PM, Goonasabi said:

Is the AOI of any wait listed people early modern? That’s mine, so I’m wondering if there are several of us or what.

Yeah, My AOI is early modern. I got the same generic waitlist e-mail from Virg. I don't really expect to get in, because I am pretty sure I am one of the last on their waitlist. My GRE was not superb, your probably ahead of me, my sample paper is what kept me afloat. But, if you want to turn them down, I would be forever in your debt...you can have my parents, my sister, my parent's house after I give you my parents, all my money...lol, I am not holding my breath for this one

1 hour ago, Kantian Heretic said:

Yeah, My AOI is early modern. I got the same generic waitlist e-mail from Virg. I don't really expect to get in, because I am pretty sure I am one of the last on their waitlist. My GRE was not superb, your probably ahead of me, my sample paper is what kept me afloat. But, if you want to turn them down, I would be forever in your debt...you can have my parents, my sister, my parent's house after I give you my parents, all my money...lol, I am not holding my breath for this one

Haha. Ah, well you never know! I hope you get a great offer somewhere. :) 

Dear All,

Yesterday I received a response from my solicitation to Prof Sensen at Tulane. I have not been accepted there, which means that I have been shut out this season. I reckon I should have cast my net a bit wider, as I only applied to six programmes, but I am at a point at which I have accepted the fact that I am meant to be doing philosophy in other ways. For now, at least. 

I have really enjoyed your comradeship and company over the last several months. It would have been far difficult to survive this trying time without y'all. Best of luck to all beginning their PhD journeys this autumn, and bon courage to those whose lives will, like mine, take them on other paths for the time being. It's been a pleasure serving with all of you. Much love!

Misha

1 hour ago, MishaPanda said:

Dear All,

Yesterday I received a response from my solicitation to Prof Sensen at Tulane. I have not been accepted there, which means that I have been shut out this season. I reckon I should have cast my net a bit wider, as I only applied to six programmes, but I am at a point at which I have accepted the fact that I am meant to be doing philosophy in other ways. For now, at least. 

I have really enjoyed your comradeship and company over the last several months. It would have been far difficult to survive this trying time without y'all. Best of luck to all beginning their PhD journeys this autumn, and bon courage to those whose lives will, like mine, take them on other paths for the time being. It's been a pleasure serving with all of you. Much love!

Misha

Good luck to you! :)

Edited by Kantattheairport

3 hours ago, MishaPanda said:

Dear All,

Misha

Something tells me that ain’t nothing gonna slow you down. I’ve enjoyed your company as well.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:37 PM, elviejo said:

I called the philosophy office and they transferred me to someone on the staff who works with the graduate coordinator. She said that they had already sent out offers and if I had not received anything official then I was on an "informal waitlist." Sorry if that contradicts something you've experienced or what you have heard from others. The reason why I called was because my status has not changed from "In Review" to "Rejected" or "Accepted." I am not claiming that is how they normally do business. I could have easily caught them off guard since I went old-school and used a telephone.

Just thought I would follow up on this: My application status hasn't changed on their portal either. I emailed the graduate program coordinator and was told that they have contacted everyone who has been accepted or waitlisted. Strangely enough, she didn't say anything about whether they've sent out any rejections yet, although I haven't seen anyone report an official rejections so far. She told me that I am "not among those being admitted or on the wait list at this time", and that "things could still change in the next couple of weeks, but for now we cannot admit you". I am taking this as an implicit rejection, since it seems like they leave a lot of people in limbo between official waitlist and official rejection each year, and as far as I can tell they haven't issued any proper rejections this year. I just wish that they would actually tell those who weren't officially accepted or officially waitlisted that they were rejected, since it seems inconsiderate to needlessly keep people in the dark for so long.

Edited by Stencil

32 minutes ago, JeshZhavvorsa said:

At this point, if a school has already sent out a bunch of rejections, does not hearing anything mean I still have a chance?

There are always rumors of "hidden waitlists" and such. I'm not sure how much stock to put in that though (Chapel Hill is apparently on record as stating they do it iirc. Supposedly UT at Austin does it as well). You should email the dgs to ask about your status. Emphasize that it's getting close to April 15th and you'd like to make a decision but don't want to rule them out without being fully informed about your status.

1 hour ago, JeshZhavvorsa said:

At this point, if a school has already sent out a bunch of rejections, does not hearing anything mean I still have a chance?

Yes, assuming it isn’t a clerical error, it usually means you still have a small chance (or at least did have a small chance when they sent out the rejections). If you were definitely rejected, they would have rejected you when they rejected everyone else.