2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

24 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

I've been admitted off the waitlist at Indiana! I'm very happy about this offer and will likely accept, but I'm still waiting to hear back about a fellowship at Brandeis and a couple of waitlists that might change my mind.

May I ask what number on the wait list you were originally?

Edit: Also, congratulations!

Edited by SlumberingTrout

Heard back from all the schools I applied to this cycle, so my final tally, such as it is:

UC-Riverside; Notre Dame; SLU; IN-Bloomington; UVA; FSU (MA).

Best of luck to everyone still waiting until Sunday. It would have been much more difficult without all of you here. :)

5 minutes ago, SlumberingTrout said:

Heard back from all the schools I applied to this cycle, so my final tally, such as it is:

UC-Riverside; Notre Dame; SLU; IN-Bloomington; UVA; FSU (MA).

Best of luck to everyone still waiting until Sunday. It would have been much more difficult without all of you here. :)

What are you thinking? Are you going to try for one of the wait lists? I ask because I am strongly leaning towards accepting FSU's PhD offer. 

11 minutes ago, quinessloopypun said:

Is it realistic to expect action on Sunday or do you think the decisions will be deferred to Monday?

I know at Indiana there will be movement on Sunday, since I need to let them know my answer by 9 am EST Sunday. Maryland's deadline was 10 am EST Sunday.

5 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

I know at Indiana there will be movement on Sunday, since I need to let them know my answer by 9 am EST Sunday. Maryland's deadline was 10 am EST Sunday.

Good to know. I am sitting on one offer which I have to decide on April 16 and two wait-lists, one of which is my top choice.

1 hour ago, Goonasabi said:

What are you thinking? Are you going to try for one of the wait lists? I ask because I am strongly leaning towards accepting FSU's PhD offer. 

At noon on Sunday I intend to accept FSU's MA offer (with great jubilation). I do think I would accept the wait list offers if they were to come through; however, I have at least some reason to believe I'm not high on the list at any of those programs, so I expect I'll be in Tallahassee come August.

19 minutes ago, SlumberingTrout said:

At noon on Sunday I intend to accept FSU's MA offer (with great jubilation). I do think I would accept the wait list offers if they were to come through; however, I have at least some reason to believe I'm not high on the list at any of those programs, so I expect I'll be in Tallahassee come August.

Cool, well I look forward to meeting you in Tallahassee come August, if it comes to that!

5 hours ago, PhiloStorian said:

Thanks! I was not told in the original notification, but after the visit I was told I was told I was fourth on the waitlist.

That's good news for me, I guess, since after the visit I was 5th!! Fingers crossed!!! 

7 hours ago, SlumberingTrout said:

I just received that "there's a non-trivial chance we can accept you," "don't accept other offers without consulting us first" email from UVA. I know that UVA this year seemed to have a gigantic wait list. I take it this is the canned email sent to everyone on the list?

I do not think everyone got one. For example, I did not. ?

Edited by AlanGibbardMegafan

7 hours ago, SlumberingTrout said:

I just received that "there's a non-trivial chance we can accept you," "don't accept other offers without consulting us first" email from UVA. I know that UVA this year seemed to have a gigantic wait list. I take it this is the canned email sent to everyone on the list?

Yea I 2nd the above. I got "unlikely, though far from impossible" on my solicitation. And from what I remember, non-trivial means you are decently high on the wait list. So it definitely could happen for you!

Just declined NYU's offer. They said they've had a bunch of acceptances, so not sure if this will lead them to have someone off the waitlist. But they still said they want me to give the answer sooner "for the sake of the students on our waiting list." Hope this becomes good news to someone!

A few days ago I was accepted to Memorial University of Newfoundland's PhD program off the wait-list. IMMENSELY relieved, since I did the unwise thing and put all my eggs in one basket.  Guess that makes my applied:acceptance ratio pretty good!  But joking aside, pretty stoked. Full funding ($20k/year), plus paid GAships to start.  I can't wait.  As far as Canadian schools go, MUN is one of the best for continental philosophy.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

A few days ago I was accepted to Memorial University of Newfoundland's PhD program off the wait-list. IMMENSELY relieved, since I did the unwise thing and put all my eggs in one basket.  Guess that makes my applied:acceptance ratio pretty good!  But joking aside, pretty stoked. Full funding ($20k/year), plus paid GAships to start.  I can't wait.  As far as Canadian schools go, MUN is one of the best for continental philosophy.

I can see why you were nervous!  Congratulations! 

1 hour ago, artshop said:

I got into UW off the waitlist and accepted the offer.  This is such a relief. 

If you do move to Wisconsin, you will soon find that "UW" is not a definite description for UW-Madison! There are 26 institutions in our UW system. ;-) Congrats, by the way!

1 hour ago, artshop said:

I got into UW off the waitlist and accepted the offer.  This is such a relief. 

By UW I take it you mean UW Seattle based on your post history?

If so, I've accepted there and I know of one other person as well. What are your areas if you don't mind me asking?