Jump to content
mynameismyname

2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

Recommended Posts

I've been admitted off the waitlist at Indiana! I'm very happy about this offer and will likely accept, but I'm still waiting to hear back about a fellowship at Brandeis and a couple of waitlists that might change my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2018 at 9:25 PM, syn said:

One professor of mine said that she did receive several offers after that day, as people were getting back to them late.

Thank you for sharing this!

Edited by seabiscuit87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

I've been admitted off the waitlist at Indiana! I'm very happy about this offer and will likely accept, but I'm still waiting to hear back about a fellowship at Brandeis and a couple of waitlists that might change my mind.

May I ask what number on the wait list you were originally?

Edit: Also, congratulations!

Edited by SlumberingTrout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SlumberingTrout said:

May I ask what number on the wait list you were originally?

Edit: Also, congratulation!

Thanks! I was not told in the original notification, but after the visit I was told I was told I was fourth on the waitlist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard back from all the schools I applied to this cycle, so my final tally, such as it is:

UC-Riverside; Notre Dame; SLU; IN-Bloomington; UVA; FSU (MA).

Best of luck to everyone still waiting until Sunday. It would have been much more difficult without all of you here. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SlumberingTrout said:

Heard back from all the schools I applied to this cycle, so my final tally, such as it is:

UC-Riverside; Notre Dame; SLU; IN-Bloomington; UVA; FSU (MA).

Best of luck to everyone still waiting until Sunday. It would have been much more difficult without all of you here. :)

What are you thinking? Are you going to try for one of the wait lists? I ask because I am strongly leaning towards accepting FSU's PhD offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, quinessloopypun said:

Is it realistic to expect action on Sunday or do you think the decisions will be deferred to Monday?

I know at Indiana there will be movement on Sunday, since I need to let them know my answer by 9 am EST Sunday. Maryland's deadline was 10 am EST Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

I know at Indiana there will be movement on Sunday, since I need to let them know my answer by 9 am EST Sunday. Maryland's deadline was 10 am EST Sunday.

Good to know. I am sitting on one offer which I have to decide on April 16 and two wait-lists, one of which is my top choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goonasabi said:

What are you thinking? Are you going to try for one of the wait lists? I ask because I am strongly leaning towards accepting FSU's PhD offer. 

At noon on Sunday I intend to accept FSU's MA offer (with great jubilation). I do think I would accept the wait list offers if they were to come through; however, I have at least some reason to believe I'm not high on the list at any of those programs, so I expect I'll be in Tallahassee come August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SlumberingTrout said:

At noon on Sunday I intend to accept FSU's MA offer (with great jubilation). I do think I would accept the wait list offers if they were to come through; however, I have at least some reason to believe I'm not high on the list at any of those programs, so I expect I'll be in Tallahassee come August.

Cool, well I look forward to meeting you in Tallahassee come August, if it comes to that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Goonasabi said:

Cool, well I look forward to meeting you in Tallahassee come August, if it comes to that!

In a surprising twist of fate, we'll be able to see who really has the dopest marble collection! (o:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SlumberingTrout said:

In a surprising twist of fate, we'll be able to see who really has the dopest marble collection! (o:

Haha!! Glad to meet you! I'm looking forward to it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PhiloStorian said:

Thanks! I was not told in the original notification, but after the visit I was told I was told I was fourth on the waitlist.

That's good news for me, I guess, since after the visit I was 5th!! Fingers crossed!!! 

7 hours ago, SlumberingTrout said:

I just received that "there's a non-trivial chance we can accept you," "don't accept other offers without consulting us first" email from UVA. I know that UVA this year seemed to have a gigantic wait list. I take it this is the canned email sent to everyone on the list?

I do not think everyone got one. For example, I did not. ?

Edited by AlanGibbardMegafan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SlumberingTrout said:

I just received that "there's a non-trivial chance we can accept you," "don't accept other offers without consulting us first" email from UVA. I know that UVA this year seemed to have a gigantic wait list. I take it this is the canned email sent to everyone on the list?

Yea I 2nd the above. I got "unlikely, though far from impossible" on my solicitation. And from what I remember, non-trivial means you are decently high on the wait list. So it definitely could happen for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just declined NYU's offer. They said they've had a bunch of acceptances, so not sure if this will lead them to have someone off the waitlist. But they still said they want me to give the answer sooner "for the sake of the students on our waiting list." Hope this becomes good news to someone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few days ago I was accepted to Memorial University of Newfoundland's PhD program off the wait-list. IMMENSELY relieved, since I did the unwise thing and put all my eggs in one basket.  Guess that makes my applied:acceptance ratio pretty good!  But joking aside, pretty stoked. Full funding ($20k/year), plus paid GAships to start.  I can't wait.  As far as Canadian schools go, MUN is one of the best for continental philosophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

A few days ago I was accepted to Memorial University of Newfoundland's PhD program off the wait-list. IMMENSELY relieved, since I did the unwise thing and put all my eggs in one basket.  Guess that makes my applied:acceptance ratio pretty good!  But joking aside, pretty stoked. Full funding ($20k/year), plus paid GAships to start.  I can't wait.  As far as Canadian schools go, MUN is one of the best for continental philosophy.

I can see why you were nervous!  Congratulations! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, artshop said:

I got into UW off the waitlist and accepted the offer.  This is such a relief. 

If you do move to Wisconsin, you will soon find that "UW" is not a definite description for UW-Madison! There are 26 institutions in our UW system. ;-) Congrats, by the way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, artshop said:

I got into UW off the waitlist and accepted the offer.  This is such a relief. 

By UW I take it you mean UW Seattle based on your post history?

If so, I've accepted there and I know of one other person as well. What are your areas if you don't mind me asking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.