Jump to content
mynameismyname

2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

Recommended Posts

On 4/13/2018 at 9:09 PM, quinessloopypun said:

Absolutely go ahead with it. Even if you can ask only completely generic questions, take it. Can't hurt. Your not taking it will hurt your chances for sure.

 

On 4/13/2018 at 9:11 PM, Theodore8 said:

Think of it this way: if you do poorly, you'll end up in the same position you are now -- no offer. If you do well, you could get an offer. There's really no downside.

 

On 4/13/2018 at 10:38 PM, Halcyon23 said:

What everyone else said, absolutely do the meeting. It's so much better than excessively formal emails. But you can turn generic questions into more thoughtful ones. I had a skype interview a while back and instead of just asking something like "what is the funding package like for a TA?" I asked about the sort of teaching opportunities available as a TA (are they only intro courses, am I just an assistant or do I teach entirely on my own, if I teach entirely on my own how much freedom do I have w/r/t to syllabus creation). Things like that. You can also just ask for clarification/more detail about the program. Asking about relations in the department (how easy it is to meet with professors, do grad students spend a lot of time together in the office, etc.) is another good thing to ask so you know what it's like in the informal settings.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, guys - I just had the Skype meeting, and it went very well. Regardless of whether or not I end up getting an offer, it was a very encouraging chat to have! ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Goonasabi said:

Hello UNC people: I bravely emailed Dr. Paul again. I'll let you know what she tells me. It's April 15th, after all!!

 

EDIT: OK that was quick, lol. I got a rejection.

On the edge of my seat waiting for a response from UNC. When I last checked with them on Friday, they told me I was still in the running and Dr. Paul said she'd try to get back to me in a timely manner...

Edited by soproperlybasic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, soproperlybasic said:

On the edge of my seat waiting for a response from UNC. When I last checked with them on Friday, they told me I was still in the running and Dr. Paul said she'd try to get back to me in a timely manner...

I hope you get it! But Fordham is a great consolation prize, if not!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2018 at 3:05 PM, TorreAttack said:

I got waitlisted at MIT, my top choice! At least now I know my anxiety won't stop until April. T-T

Is UT-Austin waiting for a response from you? They said I will be admitted from the waitlist if one of two students declined their offer, one of which is apparently at the #1 spot on MIT’s waitlist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks, I've a question for y'all. I have two offers, one from school A, a UK school that is quite strong in my AOIs, and another from B, a strong terminal MA program in North America with an excellent placement record (I just got off the waitlist there, so currently trying to decide between the two last minute). The UK school's placement record is allegedly excellent, but they don't track that kind of data, while the terminal MA has a proven track record. Financially, B is much safer, as it is funded and doesn't have exhorbitant tuition fees. A, otoh, is less safe but potentially much more exciting research-wise (doing really well on the new PGR). I'm wondering if UK schools place well (and keep in mind, its not Oxford or Cambridge), if it's worth it, etc. etc. Any thoughts help, friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, plebeu said:

Is UT-Austin waiting for a response from you? They said I will be admitted from the waitlist if one of two students declined their offer, one of which is apparently at the #1 spot on MIT’s waitlist. 

No, I am second on MIT's waitlist and was just informed I didn;t make it. Oddly I just got an email from UT Austin asking about my interest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just want a bit of input if possible: I currently have a pretty great offer at a school and they want me to accept/decline by 5pm (2 hours from now). I'm also on the watlist for one of my top choices. I've emailed the school I'm waitlisted at to try and see if there's any waitlist movement while mentioning that I currently have an offer elsewhere but will go with them if I am accepted off the waitlist (they've confirmed that funding is guaranteed and all that). They have not emailed me back. Question: would it be too much for me to call them and ask my status? I only ask because I'd hate to accept the offer I currently have, then at 6pm the other school comes knocking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Halcyon23 said:

Just want a bit of input if possible: I currently have a pretty great offer at a school and they want me to accept/decline by 5pm (2 hours from now). I'm also on the watlist for one of my top choices. I've emailed the school I'm waitlisted at to try and see if there's any waitlist movement while mentioning that I currently have an offer elsewhere but will go with them if I am accepted off the waitlist (they've confirmed that funding is guaranteed and all that). They have not emailed me back. Question: would it be too much for me to call them and ask my status? I only ask because I'd hate to accept the offer I currently have, then at 6pm the other school comes knocking.

Definitely call them ASAP. It's pretty normal to do that on the 15th. You don't want to miss out something important for courtesy's sake. 

Edited by Metanoia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RussellsPipe said:

Hi folks, I've a question for y'all. I have two offers, one from school A, a UK school that is quite strong in my AOIs, and another from B, a strong terminal MA program in North America with an excellent placement record (I just got off the waitlist there, so currently trying to decide between the two last minute). The UK school's placement record is allegedly excellent, but they don't track that kind of data, while the terminal MA has a proven track record. Financially, B is much safer, as it is funded and doesn't have exhorbitant tuition fees. A, otoh, is less safe but potentially much more exciting research-wise (doing really well on the new PGR). I'm wondering if UK schools place well (and keep in mind, its not Oxford or Cambridge), if it's worth it, etc. etc. Any thoughts help, friends.

How well is the UK program funding you? If they aren't funding you at all, then I wouldn't suggest going there. 3 years (and quite likely more) of tuition + living can be very exorbitant if unsupported and not worth going into debt for. I was accepted at Oxford at one point with zero funding and turned it down for just that reason. You'll always have a chance to apply again (and possibly do even better) after your masters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

Definitely call them ASAP. It's pretty normal to do that at on the 15th. You don't want to miss out something important for courtesy's sake. 

Ok cool. Will call them in the next few minutes. One other question: should I just call the office of the DGS or the main department office and ask for the DGS? (Amounts to the same thing I suppose but hey, I'm nervous and every possible contingency is running through my head at this point).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Halcyon23 said:

Ok cool. Will call them in the next few minutes. One other question: should I just call the office of the DGS or the main department office and ask for the DGS? (Amounts to the same thing I suppose but hey, I'm nervous and every possible contingency is running through my head at this point).

It's a Sunday, so it's likely that people won't be around at the office. So try everywhere you can, and see where you can get through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Metanoia said:

How well is the UK program funding you? If they aren't funding you at all, then I wouldn't suggest going there. 3 years (and quite likely more) of tuition + living can be very exorbitant if unsupported and not worth going into debt for. I was accepted at Oxford at one point with zero funding and turned it down for just that reason. You'll always have a chance to apply again (and possibly do even better) after your masters.

Sorry, wasn't clear. They are both masters programs, so I would only be dishing out tuition for a year. Regarding its funding, its looking unlikely but not impossible. My trouble with deciding is that the north american school isn't as strong in my AOIs, but has great placement into PhDs, while the UK school is very strong in my AOIs but placement is unclear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gambler180 said:

Does anyone have a funded offer from UGA that they are considering? I have an unfunded offer thus far and one other funded offer but I UGA would be my top choice.

 

I turned down a funded offer from UGA at about 12:30 this afternoon but never heard back from Dr. Stephens. I hope it works out for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gambler180 said:

Does anyone have a funded offer from UGA that they are considering? I have an unfunded offer thus far and one other funded offer but I UGA would be my top choice.

 

Check your messages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ArendtYouKidding said:

Does anyone know the protocol regarding the day after decision day? I have yet to hear anything from one school (UConn) and I haven't heard about a waitlist. I am ready for this to be over (:

Give UConn a call. At least one spot on the waitlist opened up (I took myself off). During an email exchange with the DGS I was told that if they pull from the waitlist it's unlikely that it'd be before Wednesday (but isn't April 15th the deadline? Weird).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.