Planning Admissions Fall 2018

Hi all, thought I would get us started so people can discuss admissions as they start to roll in for Fall 2018. 

I applied to two PhD programs this round (MIT and UCLA). Waiting to hear back now.  From past results, it looks like UCLA will let people know late January, early February, and MIT is a bit later, in late February, early March. Good luck to everyone who applied! 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I was accepted to the University of Minnesota for their MURP program!  But I'm waiting to hear back from the other schools.

Hi guys!! I'm applying to Master's programs in planning at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Cal Poly Pomona, and San Jose State. For whatever reason they have later deadlines than most graduate programs (I'm still compiling application materials), but in either case it's nice to "meet" you all and I'm excited to see where we all end up!!!

Congrats on the acceptance cmm!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I copied my response from another forum. Best of luck to everyone!! 

Field/Program: Masters in City/Regional/Urban Planning with a concentration in Economic Development and Housing 

Schools: Boston University, Cornell, UPenn, Harvard, MIT, UCLA, University of Oregon 

On 2/12/2018 at 6:20 PM, jtp7118 said:

Hi everyone, just wanted to say I was just admitted to the UCLA PhD in Urban Planning. The admitted students day is March 5. Good luck to all! 

Congratulations! 

Hello there,

I applied to several universities for Urban Planning Ph.D. programs and still didn't hear from any of them. Can the admission notifications vary from one department to another? or from one program to another? I mean can the same school release decisions for its Master's program but not to its Ph.D's?

I applied for these schools: UC Berkeley, UNC, UCLA (I noticed that they already did notify someone on the forum), UIUC, UPenn, MIT DUSP, Harvard GSD, Columbia GSAPP, Cornell and The New School (Milano School). Did anyone hear about any decision related to the PhDs?

Good luck everyone:)

Edited by Anan92

16 hours ago, urban_maya said:

Hey, so I just got an email from a professor saying i was accepted and am being considered for a merit scholarship at Columbia GSAPP. having a hard time believing this is real. IS this legit????? HELP

Completely legit. Congrats!

May I ask which professor emailed you? You were admitted to the PhD program? 

On 3/1/2018 at 11:52 AM, ElenaBE said:

Seems like some folks have received calls from GSD faculty. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

People have received phone calls. 

On 3/1/2018 at 8:39 AM, chen48y said:

Hey, does anyone know when the Harvard result will come out? :) 

They were out on Thursday! Hope you got a positive result! 

On 2/25/2018 at 2:58 PM, urban_maya said:

Hey, so I just got an email from a professor saying i was accepted and am being considered for a merit scholarship at Columbia GSAPP. having a hard time believing this is real. IS this legit????? HELP

Congratulations ? 

On 2/15/2018 at 4:10 PM, BosBGM said:

Hey! I copied my response from another forum. Best of luck to everyone!! 

Field/Program: Masters in City/Regional/Urban Planning with a concentration in Economic Development and Housing 

Schools: Boston University, Cornell, UPenn, Harvard, MIT, UCLA, University of Oregon 

Congrats on everyone’s acceptances. 

Accepted: BU, Oregon, Cornell, and Harvard 

Patiently (I wan to know) Waiting: MIT, UCLA and UPenn. I know some people have already heard back and congrats to you guys who got in!!! 

31 minutes ago, cblank said:

Anyone have any idea when MIT results come out? The wait is killing me!

Someone on the results forum wrote on Friday, 3/2 that "Admissions says results will be released next week, so sit tight!" - but I have no idea what the source / veracity of that is. Looks reasonable based on prior years, though.

Edited by deeperblue
Realized I forgot to date the post I was referencing.

Urban Planning Masters

Applied to Berkeley, Columbia & NYU

Accepted to Columbia

Waitlisted at Berkeley & NYU

Anyone familiar with Columbia GSAPP, specifically the MSUP? Would love some feedback on the program as there isn't much online. Also, I'm not really interested in NYU as I'm an undergrad there so I'm hedging my bets on Berkeley(if i ever get off the waitlist) v Columbia. 

32 minutes ago, deeperblue said:

Heads up - according to the results forum, someone received an envelope with an acceptance from MIT for the MCP earlier today - so I would be on the lookout in your mailbox!

Good looking out! Odd that they would send snail mail before an email or phone call