Master of teaching OISE 2018

Saf88

58 minutes ago, Saf88 said:

From previous posts, I think there is no interview for the MT program. What is your application like? Do you have a lot of work experience? 

I applied to I/S and my two teachables are Phys. Ed./ Social Sciences

My GPA is around the 3.6/4.0 for the last year, and I have volunteer experience at my old high-school and tutoring experience both paid and un-paid.. what about yourself? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I applied for J/I (first choice), P/J (second choice), and MA Child and Youth Study (third choice). 

A little background on me for reference: English Honours with a 3.75 GPA, skating instructor (ages 2-12), summer camp leader, support worker/coach with autistic children in sports settings, volunteer experience at an ECE centre. 

My application has been under review since November. From what I have read, there is no interview for the MT. I DID however have an interview on Saturday for the MA program which was terribly stressful (but it is just my fallback).

Hopefully we start to hear back within the month! Best of luck to you all :) 

9 hours ago, writethebeats said:

Hello! I applied for J/I (first choice), P/J (second choice), and MA Child and Youth Study (third choice). 

A little background on me for reference: English Honours with a 3.75 GPA, skating instructor (ages 2-12), summer camp leader, support worker/coach with autistic children in sports settings, volunteer experience at an ECE centre. 

My application has been under review since November. From what I have read, there is no interview for the MT. I DID however have an interview on Saturday for the MA program which was terribly stressful (but it is just my fallback).

Wow, that is a very impressive portfolio and I wish you the best :)
Fill us in *when* you get your acceptance!! 

21 hours ago, writethebeats said:

I applied to the MACSE program as my first choice and the MT program in P/J as my second choice! 

I have around a 3.5 GPA, dance class assistant for 6+ years, dance instructor (ages 3-10) for 2.5 years, summer camp counselor for 4 years, volunteer experience at an after-school reading program for grades 3-6, and two practicum placements that are part of my undergraduate program (one at an ECE centre and one at an elementary school).

I also had an interview for the MA program last Saturday and I think it went pretty well but I am extremely nervous as both of these programs sound great and I am super passionate about both of them!! Best of luck to everyone applying :) 

22 hours ago, Ocean28 said:

I applied to the MACSE program as my first choice and the MT program in P/J as my second choice! 

I have around a 3.5 GPA, dance class assistant for 6+ years, dance instructor (ages 3-10) for 2.5 years, summer camp counselor for 4 years, volunteer experience at an after-school reading program for grades 3-6, and two practicum placements that are part of my undergraduate program (one at an ECE centre and one at an elementary school).

I also had an interview for the MA program last Saturday and I think it went pretty well but I am extremely nervous as both of these programs sound great and I am super passionate about both of them!! Best of luck to everyone applying :) 

That's a stacked resume! Keep us updated :) 

Just curious, what made you prioritize the MA over the MT?

22 hours ago, writethebeats said:

That's a stacked resume! Keep us updated :) 

Just curious, what made you prioritize the MA over the MT?

Good question hahaha... I think both programs look great but I personally connected more to the MACSE after going to the open house in October. I also like how the MA program has more of a focus on child development (not to say that MT doesn't at all) and I also got a really positive vibe from the entire interview experience! :) 

What about yourself?

I also applied to the MT p/j program, and the MACSE program. I had about a 3.75 GPA and have 500+ hours with children/youth, including being an occasional supply for developmental therapists at a private school. I didn't get an interview which makes me a little nervous, but hopefully we'll all find out soon! Good luck to everyone! 

2 hours ago, Ocean28 said:

Good question hahaha... I think both programs look great but I personally connected more to the MACSE after going to the open house in October. I also like how the MA program has more of a focus on child development (not to say that MT doesn't at all) and I also got a really positive vibe from the entire interview experience! :) 

What about yourself?

I mostly chose the MT over the MACSE based on the ability to specialize. I also was really drawn to the thesis requirement, particularly since the MACSE seemed to be a one-or-the-other type of program (in terms of practicum and research streams). 

Also side question: what are your thoughts on asking UofT MT for an early acceptance?

I got accepted to McGill for the MATL back in December and they require an answer by March 1st. While I am still waiting for acceptances from other schools and programs, I am anxious that I won't get in to the others and be left high and dry.

10 hours ago, writethebeats said:

I mostly chose the MT over the MACSE based on the ability to specialize. I also was really drawn to the thesis requirement, particularly since the MACSE seemed to be a one-or-the-other type of program (in terms of practicum and research streams). 

That's fair! Yeah I really want to work with younger age groups and the MA program is automatically a P/J specialization. 

As for your other comment about McGill, congratulations! That's awesome good for you! Is there any way you could accept now and then change your mind later? I know there may be some kind of fee which sucks, but that might be a safe bet just in case you don't get in anywhere else? That being said, your resume looks really good and the fact that you already got into McGill is probably a good indication of the results from other schools too :)