Master of teaching OISE 2018

Saf88

1 hour ago, Frenchie92 said:

I don't know why they're taking so long! The $300 non-refundable deposit (for newly admitted students) is already due next Friday...And apparently fall/winter course selection starts on June 20. So hopefully they'll send out result letters soon.

Hmm good point. Hope we hear soon. 

2 hours ago, Frenchie92 said:

I don't know why they're taking so long! The $300 non-refundable deposit (for newly admitted students) is already due next Friday...And apparently fall/winter course selection starts on June 20. So hopefully they'll send out result letters soon.

Year 1 students do not have electives or course selection avalible. Thats for year 2s only.

6 hours ago, Frenchie92 said:

I think we get our courses assigned to us, don't we? 

49 minutes ago, Jules24 said:

I think we get our courses assigned to us, don't we? 

For 18 of the 20 credits you take, yes.

The classes you get is dependent on your teachable subjects, your grade concentration, and your cohort.
For the remaining 2 credits, you choose electives within the larger pool of OISE programs outside of MT (ie. you may be in classes with MA and PhD students).

I emailed them a few days ago as well and they said if we have not heard back then our application has not been reviewed and a decision will be sent out shortly.  I think everyone gets the same reply. 

18 hours ago, Jackson8918 said:

The classes you get is dependent on your teachable subjects, your grade concentration, and your cohort.
For the remaining 2 credits, you choose electives within the larger pool of OISE programs outside of MT (ie. you may be in classes with MA and PhD students).

Wow interesting, thanks for this! 

23 hours ago, Jackson8918 said:

How do the classes work regarding your 1st and 2nd teachables? Do you concentrate on 1 teachable a semester? Do they teach you how to teach each subject? How do you get to learn the material of the grades/division? Do they have tests on the materials of the grades, or is more of a how to teach in general approach? 

Edited by Jules24

3 hours ago, Jules24 said:

How do the classes work regarding your 1st and 2nd teachables? Do you concentrate on 1 teachable a semester? Do they teach you how to teach each subject? How do you get to learn the material of the grades/division? Do they have tests on the materials of the grades, or is more of a how to teach in general approach? 

I can really only speak for I/S highschool teaching, so things might be different for other concentrations.
Here was my experience for 1st year:

Your teachable subjects:
My primary teachable was chemistry, and my secondary teachable was biology (biochem major FTW).
I had my chemistry course for first year (since its my primary), and will be taking biology come next year.

Workload

• You take 5 courses per semester, 4 of which are with people in your cohort.
  • People who wish to receive additional certification to teach in catholic boards will be required to take a 6th course in religious education.
  • The people in your cohort will be your classmates in every single class, minus your subject course and a few electives in year 2.

Assignments and evaluations

• THERE ARE NO TESTS FOR ANY CLASSES!!!
  • There are however, a crap ton of ESSAYS AND PRESENTATIONS!
  • Get ready to read lot of research papers on teaching pedagogies and techniques.
  • Your subject courses teaches you how to TEACH your subject. It is assumed that you already know your field.

With the intense writing assignments, lots of math and science majors will feel disadvantaged compared to their social science and humanities counterparts. The good thing is that grades do not really matter. School boards don't really care about your GPA, only your practice teaching reports.

Practice Teaching (Practicum)

• This is probably the most important evaluation in the entire program.
  • You do 4x one-month terms of practice teaching inside schools, aided by an experienced teacher.
  • This is where most people realize whether or not teaching is for them, you typically see a couple of people drop out after the 1st placement.

Personally, I found this to be the best part of the program. It was rough at first, but then you get used to organizing daily lessons and understand what it means to be a real teacher.

Edited by Jackson8918

10 hours ago, Jackson8918 said:

I can really only speak for I/S highschool teaching, so things might be different for other concentrations.

Your teachable subjects:
My primary teachable was chemistry, and my secondary teachable was biology (biochem major FTW).
I had my chemistry course for first year (since its my primary), and will be taking biology come next year.

Workload

• People who wish to receive additional certification to teach in catholic boards will be required to take a 6th course in religious education.
  • The people in your cohort will be your classmates in every single class, minus your subject course and a few electives in year 2.

• Get ready to read lot of research papers on teaching pedagogies and techniques.
  • Your subject courses teaches you how to TEACH your subject. It is assumed that you already know your field.

With the intense writing assignments, lots of math and science majors will feel disadvantaged compared to their social science and humanities counterparts. The good thing is that grades do not really matter. School boards don't really care about your GPA, only your practice teaching reports.

• You do 4x one-month terms of practice teaching inside schools, aided by an experienced teacher.
  • This is where most people realize whether or not teaching is for them, you typically see a couple of people drop out after the 1st placement.

Personally, I found this to be the best part of the program. It was rough at first, but then you get used to organizing daily lessons and understand what it means to be a real teacher.

Jackson8918 you are the best! Thank you so much for sharing such useful information! 

11 hours ago, Jackson8918 said:

Your teachable subjects:

Workload

Thank you so much!! Awesome! Do you know how big the class is for math as a first teachable? I haven't met anyone with this teachable, but I have met many in science.. I am wondering if science and math would be combined for the subject class (in I/S).

How do cohorts work? Why do people pick some cohorts over others? Do different cohorts give different opportunities? 

Thank you so much!! 

6 hours ago, Saf88 said:

Did you hear back? 

"Hello SoooImpatient,

Notification of results for MT Admissions began on March 1st and will  
continue to be sent out over the next several weeks on an ongoing  
basis. Due to the large volume of applications, your application may  
not have been processed yet.

If you have not received a communication, then the Office of the  
Registrar has not processed it yet and you will hear shortly.  As soon  
as it has been processed, you will receive an email at which time you  
will be able to access the information when you login at  
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fapply.sgs.utoronto.ca&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cbad7b331555348e83c2608d5c05d2893%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636626428698049812&sdata=y0NcHzAEGcC48e41yK9SYh55oiQ8mEBgdwS9iOAHObQ%3D&reserved=0. You will find your Decision Documents  
within the status column.

Thank you for your patience,

The Master of Teaching program"

10 hours ago, Jules24 said:

Thank you so much!! Awesome! Do you know how big the class is for math as a first teachable? I haven't met anyone with this teachable, but I have met many in science.. I am wondering if science and math would be combined for the subject class (in I/S).

How do cohorts work? Why do people pick some cohorts over others? Do different cohorts give different opportunities? 

Thank you so much!! 

I think the math class had about 15-20 this year. It varies from time to time.
Science has their own classes, and is split into 4 (general, biology, chemistry, physics).

Its quite odd for math to be this low though, considering that OCT licences for I/S math is the 2nd most abundant certification after I/S English.
Math is just unpopular at OISE for some reason, go figure.

As for cohorts, all cohorts have the same workload and opportunities with the exception of 2 special cohorts.
The special P/J Ryerson cohort, and the special I/S University of Toronto Schools cohort.

These two cohorts take their classes not at OISE, but actually inside schools you may be teaching at.
There are additional course loads associated with these two cohorts, and there is an additional application if you want to get in.
For example, there were paid internships exclusively available to us, but there are discussions about expanding internships to regular cohorts next year.

Edited by Jackson8918

2 hours ago, SoooImpatient said:

"Hello SoooImpatient,

Notification of results for MT Admissions began on March 1st and will  
continue to be sent out over the next several weeks on an ongoing  
basis. Due to the large volume of applications, your application may  
not have been processed yet.

If you have not received a communication, then the Office of the  
Registrar has not processed it yet and you will hear shortly.  As soon  
as it has been processed, you will receive an email at which time you  
will be able to access the information when you login at  
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fapply.sgs.utoronto.ca&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cbad7b331555348e83c2608d5c05d2893%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636626428698049812&sdata=y0NcHzAEGcC48e41yK9SYh55oiQ8mEBgdwS9iOAHObQ%3D&reserved=0. You will find your Decision Documents  
within the status column.

Thank you for your patience,

The Master of Teaching program"

Thats the exact message I got. 

1 hour ago, Jackson8918 said:

I think the math class had about 15-20 this year. It varies from time to time.
Science has their own classes, and is split into 4 (general, biology, chemistry, physics).

Its quite odd for math to be this low though, considering that OCT licences for I/S math is the 2nd most abundant certification after I/S English.
Math is just unpopular at OISE for some reason, go figure.

As for cohorts, all cohorts have the same workload and opportunities with the exception of 2 special cohorts.
The special P/J Ryerson cohort, and the special I/S University of Toronto Schools cohort.

These two cohorts take their classes not at OISE, but actually inside schools you may be teaching at.
There are additional course loads associated with these two cohorts, and there is an additional application if you want to get in.
For example, there were paid internships exclusively available to us, but there are discussions about expanding internships to regular cohorts next year.

I think it's because at OISE you need 12 maths to make it as your 1st teacable, whereas at York you only need 6. And I'm surprised math is the #2 abundant certificate because I've been to a few schools who need gr 9-12 math teachers. I thought French/Math are in demand? Everyone I seem to talk to at OISE with I/S has general science/bio. 

I wonder if there is any actual jobs for teachers anyways..

And oh cool! Good to know! Thank you for your time with everything!! 

Edited by Jules24

Gen sci and bio are oversupplied yes, not so much the other sciences according to the OCT 2016 report (see attachment).

As far as marketable teachables goes, I believe that French, Special Ed, and Physics are all incredibly in high demand.
Math, chemistry and music are followed close behind.

Math with french immersion will pretty much 100% guarantee that you have a teachers job right out of the gate.

New Qualifications 2016.png

42 minutes ago, Jackson8918 said:

Gen sci and bio are oversupplied yes, not so much the other sciences according to the OCT 2016 report (see attachment).

As far as marketable teachables goes, I believe that French, Special Ed, and Physics are all incredibly in high demand.
Math, chemistry and music are followed close behind.

Math with french immersion will pretty much 100% guarantee that you have a teachers job right out of the gate.

New Qualifications 2016.png

Thank you so much for all your insights! Hopefully I'll be joining you at OISE! 

On 5/17/2018 at 8:19 PM, statusquo said:

I applied in late October, I got waitlisted in March so we're pretty much on the same boat..

How did you know you got waitlisted?? Also, when you got waitlisted did they say for which division, or how does this work? 

Edited by Jules24

Well, I just got waitlisted. This letter is incredibly frustrating. They tell you it's "not possible" to discuss your place on the waitlist, when really they just don't want to. OISE expects everyone to put their lives on hold while the school dicks around, or lose out on a potential spot. I'm honestly so fed up with this institution, and regret having spent money on the application. I have to decide this week whether or not to renew a work contract, and this state of limbo really fucks things up for me. 

Re: Application to the Department of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning
 Master of Teaching in Teaching (Primary/Junior)/ Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Qualification
 Program ( full-time )
Thank you for your application for admission to graduate studies at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
of the University of Toronto.
We regret that an offer of admission cannot be made at this time. The department received a large number of
applications from well-qualified candidates, but only a limited number of spaces were available. Your name has
been placed on a waitlist. We realize being on an admission waitlist often causes problems for people needing to
make decisions concerning their future. While it is not possible to enter into discussion or correspondence about
your position on the waitlist, we will make every effort to contact you as soon as possible should a space become
available.
If you have not received an offer of admission by mid-August, it would be safe to assume that all student places
have been filled for the academic year and an offer of admission will not be forthcoming. Meanwhile, should you
make other plans or wish to have your name removed from the waitlist, please advise the department directly as
soon as possible (Michelle Pon, 416-978-0051, michelle.pon@utoronto.ca).
We appreciate your interest in graduate studies at OISE and extend our best wishes as you pursue your
educational goals.
Sincerely,
Dr. Sheldon Grabke
Registrar, OISE
E. & O.E.

2 hours ago, SoooImpatient said:

Well, I just got waitlisted. This letter is incredibly frustrating. They tell you it's "not possible" to discuss your place on the waitlist, when really they just don't want to. OISE expects everyone to put their lives on hold while the school dicks around, or lose out on a potential spot. I'm honestly so fed up with this institution, and regret having spent money on the application. I have to decide this week whether or not to renew a work contract, and this state of limbo really fucks things up for me. 

Re: Application to the Department of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning
 Master of Teaching in Teaching (Primary/Junior)/ Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Qualification
 Program ( full-time )
Thank you for your application for admission to graduate studies at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
of the University of Toronto.
We regret that an offer of admission cannot be made at this time. The department received a large number of
applications from well-qualified candidates, but only a limited number of spaces were available. Your name has
been placed on a waitlist. We realize being on an admission waitlist often causes problems for people needing to
make decisions concerning their future. While it is not possible to enter into discussion or correspondence about
your position on the waitlist, we will make every effort to contact you as soon as possible should a space become
available.
If you have not received an offer of admission by mid-August, it would be safe to assume that all student places
have been filled for the academic year and an offer of admission will not be forthcoming. Meanwhile, should you
make other plans or wish to have your name removed from the waitlist, please advise the department directly as
soon as possible (Michelle Pon, 416-978-0051, michelle.pon@utoronto.ca).
We appreciate your interest in graduate studies at OISE and extend our best wishes as you pursue your
educational goals.
Sincerely,
Dr. Sheldon Grabke
Registrar, OISE
E. & O.E.

I totally understand everything you are saying here. I have a feeling I got waitlisted too since I've applied before the Nov 15th deadline and have not heard back yet. 

In regards to work, a simialr thing is happening to me. I have a job offer and I don't know what to do.. 

If I do get waitlisted I wonder how this policy works? Is it because they've already hit the max amount of acceptances before reviewing all? I don't get how they can send out some responses when they did not review all. What makes a person get waitlisted? Obviously requirements are met if you haven't been rejected.. 

Did you apply to all divisions? If so, did you get waitlisted fofo all divisions? Was this sent on SGS?

Maybe there is someone you can talk to about the probability of getting in once waitlisted?

Edited by Jules24

17 hours ago, Jules24 said:

I totally understand everything you are saying here. I have a feeling I got waitlisted too since I've applied before the Nov 15th deadline and have not heard back yet. 

In regards to work, a simialr thing is happening to me. I have a job offer and I don't know what to do.. 

If I do get waitlisted I wonder how this policy works? Is it because they've already hit the max amount of acceptances before reviewing all? I don't get how they can send out some responses when they did not review all. What makes a person get waitlisted? Obviously requirements are met if you haven't been rejected.. 

Did you apply to all divisions? If so, did you get waitlisted fofo all divisions? Was this sent on SGS?

Maybe there is someone you can talk to about the probability of getting in once waitlisted?

I really think the chances of getting in are slim at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if the remaining people are also offered waitlist status just because they don't want to outright decline them after making them wait so long. I applied for all divisions and was waitlisted for all divisions. They sent me an email with a link to the status on the online application. It had the letters there for me to download.