Master of teaching OISE 2018

Saf88

16 hours ago, Ab1643 said:

So should we just wait? or contact them?

Seeing at all the previous post, contacting them appears to be pointless. You are just going to get a typical email telling to to wait it out even more.

11 hours ago, tennnnnn said:

hello..im going into third year and i'm interested in MT intermediate/senior for social science and english..i'm a bit worried about the volunteer and work experience...i was wondering what kind of work and volunteer you all did and how many hours is considered sufficient or do you recommend....i do not have much experience right now esp with paid experience..thanks in advance!

Most people I know in my cohort volunteered at TDSB schools, privately tutored, or worked for an afterschool company like Mathenesium or Oxford Learning.
It doesn't need to be paid, just make sure to get a professional letter of reference from your supervisor. You'll need one for both academics and professional experience.

If you are going into 3rd year, consider reading this to get an early acceptance into MT.
https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/mt/UserFiles/File/MT_Combined_Degree_Program_Nov_9_2017-letter.pdf

2 hours ago, bianca07 said:

How would we know if there was a change in our status? I’m on the waitlist, so how would I find out if a spot opened up?

Welcome to the club, I've been on the waitlist since March 28 and have lost a lot of respect for The University of Toronto. On top of being a month late on their response (they said to expect a response in early month if you applied before the deadline), they choose to waste more of my time by not telling me where you stand on the waitlist. If I'm 5000th on the waitlist and they told me on March 28th, then I could move on and focus on other things, but for all I know I'm 2nd on the list and so I don't know if I should commit to something else or to keep playing this stupid game.

1 hour ago, statusquo said:

Welcome to the club, I've been on the waitlist since March 28 and have lost a lot of respect for The University of Toronto. On top of being a month late on their response (they said to expect a response in early month if you applied before the deadline), they choose to waste more of my time by not telling me where you stand on the waitlist. If I'm 5000th on the waitlist and they told me on March 28th, then I could move on and focus on other things, but for all I know I'm 2nd on the list and so I don't know if I should commit to something else or to keep playing this stupid game.

Oh my gosh :(  I agree with you, I have definitely lost some respect as well. 

On 6/6/2018 at 10:37 AM, bianca07 said:

How would we know if there was a change in our status? I’m on the waitlist, so how would I find out if a spot opened up?

Hey! They will send an official letter of admission if you made it in from the waitlist. Even if you dont make it in from the waitlist theyll still send a notification. 

On 5/23/2018 at 11:21 PM, Jackson8918 said:

I can really only speak for I/S highschool teaching, so things might be different for other concentrations.
Here was my experience for 1st year:

Your teachable subjects:
My primary teachable was chemistry, and my secondary teachable was biology (biochem major FTW).
I had my chemistry course for first year (since its my primary), and will be taking biology come next year.

Workload

• You take 5 courses per semester, 4 of which are with people in your cohort.
  • People who wish to receive additional certification to teach in catholic boards will be required to take a 6th course in religious education.
  • The people in your cohort will be your classmates in every single class, minus your subject course and a few electives in year 2.

Assignments and evaluations

• THERE ARE NO TESTS FOR ANY CLASSES!!!
  • There are however, a crap ton of ESSAYS AND PRESENTATIONS!
  • Get ready to read lot of research papers on teaching pedagogies and techniques.
  • Your subject courses teaches you how to TEACH your subject. It is assumed that you already know your field.

With the intense writing assignments, lots of math and science majors will feel disadvantaged compared to their social science and humanities counterparts. The good thing is that grades do not really matter. School boards don't really care about your GPA, only your practice teaching reports.

Practice Teaching (Practicum)

• This is probably the most important evaluation in the entire program.
  • You do 4x one-month terms of practice teaching inside schools, aided by an experienced teacher.
  • This is where most people realize whether or not teaching is for them, you typically see a couple of people drop out after the 1st placement.

Personally, I found this to be the best part of the program. It was rough at first, but then you get used to organizing daily lessons and understand what it means to be a real teacher.

Hi Jackson! Thank you so much for providing us with this information! 

I got accepted into I/S with my first teachable as biology! I was wondering how your course schedule looked like in your first year? I know that OISE picks your courses and we won't be able to choose days/times. It may be different this year, but I just wanted to get an idea if I should expect to be there 5 days a week and the typical times that these classes are being held. 

Thank you in advance! 

12 hours ago, HopingToTeach1231 said:

Hi Jackson! Thank you so much for providing us with this information! 

I got accepted into I/S with my first teachable as biology! I was wondering how your course schedule looked like in your first year? I know that OISE picks your courses and we won't be able to choose days/times. It may be different this year, but I just wanted to get an idea if I should expect to be there 5 days a week and the typical times that these classes are being held. 

Thank you in advance! 

Congratulations on getting in! I might even see you at OISE next year in biology as a Year 2 student!

This past year, all I/S MT students had classes Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Each class is 3 hours long, and go on from 9am-noon, and then 1-4pm.

Assuming nothing changes, you should expect this to be your upcoming schedule come September 2018.
Lemme know if you have any other questions.

And in case if you wanted to see some assignments here are some sample syllabus.

Here's one for Fundamentals of Teaching (an intro course to basics of teaching).
I've also got a syllabus for Biology as well from one of my cohort buddies.

Keep in mind that you may have different instructors, who each have different syllabus.
This is just to give you a taste of what's in store.

Edited by Jackson8918

On 6/7/2018 at 2:55 AM, bianca07 said:

Oh my gosh :(  I agree with you, I have definitely lost some respect as well. 

Hi, I just got the email saying I am on the waitlist ... how could I know my place on the waitlist?  

On 6/3/2018 at 11:03 AM, Jackson8918 said:

There is no point in checking the SGS website.
I got my acceptance from March 1st last year, and it still shows as "under review" to this day.

SGS OISE.png

Thanks! I am exactly on the waitlist ... they did send me an email to ask me to check the status on the SGS system ... tho I know the chance is still too slim...won’t get my hope up anyway

thanks again :)

14 hours ago, Jackson8918 said:

Congratulations on getting in! I might even see you at OISE next year in biology as a Year 2 student!

This past year, all I/S MT students had classes Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Each class is 3 hours long, and go on from 9am-noon, and then 1-4pm.

Assuming nothing changes, you should expect this to be your upcoming schedule come September 2018.
Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!! I may see you in the Fall :). I'll also be attending the meet and greet they are having this Monday, but I'm not sure if students that are already a part of the program will be there.

That sounds like a great schedule (especially since I'll be commuting). I know that we won't find out our schedule until July, but I'm hoping that it stays the same or similar! 

Did you do the course that is required to practice in Catholic schools? - I believe it runs in the evenings, but I'm not sure. I know that I'll have to register for it on my own. 

As well, is the summer session similar in terms of the days/times for courses? 

13 hours ago, Jackson8918 said:

And in case if you wanted to see some assignments here are some sample syllabus.

Here's one for Fundamentals of Teaching (an intro course to basics of teaching).

Keep in mind that you may have different instructors, who each have different syllabus.

I just looked into this! Thank you, I appreciate all of the information :)

I also like to do my research and see what's in store lol 

5 hours ago, HopingToTeach1231 said:

Did you do the course that is required to practice in Catholic schools? - I believe it runs in the evenings, but I'm not sure. I know that I'll have to register for it on my own. 

Nope, but my cohort buddies did. That class ran on Wednesday 5-8pm.
If you are serious about applying to catholic boards, make sure you can get a suitable reference from a resident priest to confirm your hours of attending church.

5 hours ago, HopingToTeach1231 said:

As well, is the summer session similar in terms of the days/times for courses? 

Summer sessions (right now) are only on Tuesdays and Thursdays for regular cohorts, same times.
The UTS cohort has slightly adjusted times since they have camp counseling duties for the summer (paid @$500/week).

guys I just want to say that I unknowingly received a second email on the 14th (4 days ago) that said I was accepted into my chosen program: MT junior/primary. I had NO idea how and why this happened as I received an email late march that said I was rejected (it did not say that I was on a waitlist or much else). I'm really pleased but also befuddled lol this whole decision waiting process has been a mess and an emotional rollercoaster. I wish you guys all the luck and don't forget to check those emails!!

On 6/15/2018 at 12:25 AM, Jackson8918 said:

Hello! I recently got accepted into the MT program J/I for French :) Do you mind providing the syllabus link for the other courses you took in Year 1? I graduated from u of t 3 years ago, so I’m trying my best to prep (as much as I can) for this program. Thanks so so much! 

19 hours ago, Frenchie92 said:

Hello! I recently got accepted into the MT program J/I for French :) Do you mind providing the syllabus link for the other courses you took in Year 1? I graduated from u of t 3 years ago, so I’m trying my best to prep (as much as I can) for this program. Thanks so so much! 

The J/I candidates have a separate curriculum from I/S, as do P/J teachers.
I don't really have any course syllabi from the P/J and J/I cohorts, only I/S.

For example, the I/S curriculum has emphasis on mental health and adolescent/teenage development, whereas P/J focuses on pedagogical skills for basic literacy and numeracy development.

I know that some courses are shared across between all concentrations (ie. Fundamentals course), but I don't know which others are.