Master of teaching OISE 2018

Saf88

I was put on the wait list on May 25. Is anyone aware of how we are notified of our changed status? Do they send us something in the mail, or notify us by e-mail? OISE is my first choice, but I have to pay tuition somewhere else by August 15, so I'm hoping for some news by then!

On 6/19/2018 at 10:16 AM, Jackson8918 said:

The J/I candidates have a separate curriculum from I/S, as do P/J teachers.
I don't really have any course syllabi from the P/J and J/I cohorts, only I/S.

For example, the I/S curriculum has emphasis on mental health and adolescent/teenage development, whereas P/J focuses on pedagogical skills for basic literacy and numeracy development.

I know that some courses are shared across between all concentrations (ie. Fundamentals course), but I don't know which others are.

Thank you very much! Really appreciate all the info :)

I don't know if anyone still checks this but I just got accepted yesterday. 

I applied in late Jan. I had lost all hope because they never even told me that I was waitlisted or anything. I e-mailed them a couple of days ago and they replied telling me that a decision has been made, and that I should wait for an e-mail that notifies me of an update. 

Don't lose hope!

22 minutes ago, hopeoise said:

I applied in late Jan. I had lost all hope because they never even told me that I was waitlisted or anything. I e-mailed them a couple of days ago and they replied telling me that a decision has been made, and that I should wait for an e-mail that notifies me of an update. 

Don't lose hope!

What did you say in the email and who did you email? Also what program did you apply to/what teachables?

11 hours ago, hopeoise said:

Don't lose hope!

Congratulations! ☺

I'm still waiting

5 hours ago, Saf88 said:

Congratulations! ☺

I'm still waiting

Same here. Is there like a last possible day they can tell us and will we even hear back if its a no? I can't believe it's July and we still do not know.

5 hours ago, JA17 said:

Same here. Is there like a last possible day they can tell us and will we even hear back if its a no? I can't believe it's July and we still do not know.

Hmm I don't think so...anyone else know? 

23 hours ago, hopeoise said:

So this entire (2 yrs) program costs ~25000 ?

More or less. Though 99% of the students who applied for OSAP get $2500 rebate from UTAPs.

21 hours ago, BrownChocolate said:

Can one pursue a PhD after finishing OISE's Masters of Teaching 2018 program? 

Yes, but there is a catch. PhD programs require that you have written a masters thesis or dissertation. 
While the MT program has a research project, it alone does not suffice.

To apply for PhD or EdD, you must write a 100-page qualifying research paper.
Either this, or do a research-based masters degree (MA or MSc).

5 hours ago, Jackson8918 said:

More or less. Though 99% of the students who applied for OSAP get $2500 rebate from UTAPs.

Yes, but there is a catch. PhD programs require that you have written a masters thesis or dissertation. 
While the MT program has a research project, it alone does not suffice.

To apply for PhD or EdD, you must write a 100-page qualifying research paper.
Either this, or do a research-based masters degree (MA or MSc).

So can I do a 100-page qualifying research paper while in MT separate from the program?

Edited by BrownChocolate

6 hours ago, BrownChocolate said:

So can I do a 100-page qualifying research paper while in MT separate from the program?

Sure, but that’s going to be a lot on your plate. Keep in mind you have five courses per term along with practicum placements.

If you are seriously going into teaching, you should be signing up for internships and part time teaching jobs to make yourself competitive. PhD and research exp are not on the top of the priority list for hiring boards.

There are very few people I know in the program who are not tutoring/teaching. You will not be very competitive in the hiring process without job experience.

Edited by Jackson8918

On 7/3/2018 at 10:59 PM, Jackson8918 said:

Sure, but that’s going to be a lot on your plate. Keep in mind you have five courses per term along with practicum placements.

If you are seriously going into teaching, you should be signing up for internships and part time teaching jobs to make yourself competitive. PhD and research exp are not on the top of the priority list for hiring boards.

There are very few people I know in the program who are not tutoring/teaching. You will not be very competitive in the hiring process without job experience.

Who should I talk with if I want to do a 100-page thesis for example?

15 hours ago, BrownChocolate said:

Who should I talk with if I want to do a 100-page thesis for example?

That's something you'll have to figure out on your own.

Just like a regular masters/doctoral thesis, you approach and contact a faculty supervisor on your own.
They advise you on the next steps, providing general feedback etc...

On 7/4/2018 at 5:59 AM, Jackson8918 said:

What is UTAPs? Can you explain a bit more about the internships or teaching jobs? I mean, if we are in school full time, what kind of teaching jobs can we apply for other than tutoring? Thanks a lot for your help btw!

2 hours ago, hopeoise said:

What is UTAPs? Can you explain a bit more about the internships or teaching jobs? I mean, if we are in school full time, what kind of teaching jobs can we apply for other than tutoring? Thanks a lot for your help btw!

RE: UTAPs. Its free money from OSAP, everyone who applied for it gets approx $2500 credit.

RE: Internships. See some old OISE internships here.
https://supo-app.oise.utoronto.ca/supo/internship/postings/