Hey all,

Starting this thread to help each other and let one another know where we applied, got accepted, denied or wait-listed. Also feel free to provide any other information such as funding, choosing one school over another, reasons why rejecting etc. 

Here is my list of applications and updates so far:

USA

• Yale Div - MARc Philosophical Theology/Philosophy of Religion (waiting)
  • Duke Div - MTS (accepted w/ 25% funding) - any idea how to get more? :) 
  • Wake Forest Div -  MDiv (rejected) - was surprised to find out I was rejected :( 
  • BU SoT - MTS (waiting) 

Canada

• Wycliffe College (UofT) - MTS (waiting)
  • Regent College - MTS (waiting)

UK

• U of Oxford (Wycliffe Hall) - MTh (waiting)
  • U of Cambridge - MPhil in Theology, Religion, and Philosophy of Religion (waiting) 
  • U Of Edinburgh - MPhil (waiting)
  • U of St. Andrews - MTh (rejected) 

I'm also an international student, graduating with a B.A. in Theology from the historic Moody Bible Institute (Chicago, IL) 
Any ideas of funding available for international students? The idea of a loan kind of scares me. 

Best of luck everyone! 

Edited by newbietheologian

I mentioned a lot of this in another thread, but I'd love to help any lurkers who may have similar situations:

GPA: 4.0 - Public Relations &Mass Communication B.S.

I've applied for the M.Div program at all schools listed.

Schools:

• Fuller Seminary - Accepted on Jan. 13 , no word on scholarships yet. I'm told to expect a letter in April
  • Yale Divinity School - doesn't announce until March 15
  • Duke Divinity School - Waiting, no word on when I'll hear back, but the results section would have me believe mid-February
  • Princeton Seminary - Waiting, with an interview scheduled for Friday. 

Good luck to my fellow applicants, we're all in this together.

6 hours ago, newbietheologian said:

I'm also an international student, graduating with a B.A. in Theology from the historic Moody Bible Institute (Chicago, IL) 
Any ideas of funding available for international students? The idea of a loan kind of scares me. 

Best of luck everyone! 

Funding for international students at the Master's level is going to be minimal, you will almost certainly depend on loans in order to complete a Master's degree in the US.

Unfortunately, given the schools that you're applying to in the US - your undergraduate degree being from Moody won't cut you any favors, mainstream divinity schools in the US do not look upon Moody favorably. Duke is an exceptional school and if you do well there, it will open a lot of doors for you.

You're going to come across the same funding issues in Canada and UK but that is also dependent upon your citizenship.

39 minutes ago, xypathos said:

Funding for international students at the Master's level is going to be minimal, you will almost certainly depend on loans in order to complete a Master's degree in the US.

Unfortunately, given the schools that you're applying to in the US - your undergraduate degree being from Moody won't cut you any favors, mainstream divinity schools in the US do not look upon Moody favorably. Duke is an exceptional school and if you do well there, it will open a lot of doors for you.

You're going to come across the same funding issues in Canada and UK but that is also dependent upon your citizenship.

@xypathos thanks for your info. Yeah, I know that Moody falls under the conservative side of the spectrum. However, it is a great school to get started in your theological and biblical education. 

I kind of figured out that already, but I was just trying to see if there are any options that may not be available to the general public (no harm in asking, right?) :)

Edited by newbietheologian

2 hours ago, JDD said:

I mentioned a lot of this in another thread, but I'd love to help any lurkers who may have similar situations:

GPA: 4.0 - Public Relations &Mass Communication B.S.

I've applied for the M.Div program at all schools listed.

Schools:

• Fuller Seminary - Accepted on Jan. 13 , no word on scholarships yet. I'm told to expect a letter in April
  • Yale Divinity School - doesn't announce until March 15
  • Duke Divinity School - Waiting, no word on when I'll hear back, but the results section would have me believe mid-February
  • Princeton Seminary - Waiting, with an interview scheduled for Friday. 

Good luck to my fellow applicants, we're all in this together.

Nice!

Forgot to mention that I also applied to Fuller too. But no word from them as of yet.

Good luck in your interview! 

Hello all! 

I applied to a mixture of PhD and MA/MTS programs. For the latter, I applied to Syracuse (MA), IU (MA), Harvard (MTS), and Uni of Chicago (MA). I have not heard anything back from any of these programs yet, unfortunately. 

@newbietheologian

Great work on Duke - I'd investigate scholarships outside the Duke network. Look for scholarships offered by your denomination, your home church & partner churches, as well as organizational scholarships from clubs/organizations you've been a part of. Hopefully this helps!

14 hours ago, JDD said:

@newbietheologian

Great work on Duke - I'd investigate scholarships outside the Duke network. Look for scholarships offered by your denomination, your home church & partner churches, as well as organizational scholarships from clubs/organizations you've been a part of. Hopefully this helps!

Thank you!

Hello lovely people and potential future classmates/colleagues!

So we all applied to the best of the best programs, but did anyone apply to less popular programs which would still be a great backup option? I myself played it safe and did. On that backup list are Indiana University Bloomington, Rice, UC Santa Barbara, and University of Washington. (ALL MA programs). Let’s let each other know when we hear back. Best of luck to us future Scholars of Religion!

@LotusFlower 

Yes. My backup option is to go back home to Dublin, Ireland. 

I applied to an M.A. (Theology) at Dublin City University. I was fortunate to meet a professor from there and he recommended the course. He is a very good scholar in the field of what I want to study in the future, and he agreed that I could study under him if I choose to go back. Therefore, I would say that my backup options are: Regent, Wycliffe, Fuller and Dublin City University (DCU). 

I like your options though. 

Best of luck to all, and I really hope we all get our top picks. 

I had my interview with PTS on Friday. I spoke with their head of admissions over the phone (we couldn't get Skype to work) for about 30 mins. The conversation was pleasant and very helpful, as he was able to give me a very clear picture of what PTS is all about and how I might fit. It only served to reinforce what I already liked about PTS.

He mentioned that PTS is experiencing a very bizarre situation currently: close to 1/3 of the staff are currently on sabbatical. He said they hadn't planned this, but it meant that every professor is  extremely busy and therefore can't necessarily provide all of the resources to applicants that PTS is accustomed to. He mentioned that the admissions committee should be meeting at least once a month to review and decide on current applicants (my app being among those) and that they pride themselves on being able to provide a response quickly.

Still, I didn't feel comfortable trying to pin him down on an exact date as to when current applicants might expect a response. My guess is that some of the first Fall 2018 decisions will go out in the next 2 weeks - at least for M.Div applicants.

If anyone else has had interviews at either PTS or other schools, do let the rest of us know about your experience!

4 hours ago, JDD said:

I had my interview with PTS on Friday. I spoke with their head of admissions over the phone (we couldn't get Skype to work) for about 30 mins. The conversation was pleasant and very helpful, as he was able to give me a very clear picture of what PTS is all about and how I might fit. It only served to reinforce what I already liked about PTS.

He mentioned that PTS is experiencing a very bizarre situation currently: close to 1/3 of the staff are currently on sabbatical. He said they hadn't planned this, but it meant that every professor is  extremely busy and therefore can't necessarily provide all of the resources to applicants that PTS is accustomed to. He mentioned that the admissions committee should be meeting at least once a month to review and decide on current applicants (my app being among those) and that they pride themselves on being able to provide a response quickly.

Still, I didn't feel comfortable trying to pin him down on an exact date as to when current applicants might expect a response. My guess is that some of the first Fall 2018 decisions will go out in the next 2 weeks - at least for M.Div applicants.

If anyone else has had interviews at either PTS or other schools, do let the rest of us know about your experience!

@JDD

That's awesome bro! I hope everything goes well! 

Also, got an email from Fuller to let me know that I was accepted. Glad that I have at least 2 options from where I can choose now. But still waiting for others to get back to me. 

1 hour ago, ChristoWitch87 said:

Anyone know anything about Intersections at Union? I got invited but can't go (military). :(

I went in 2014. It’s mostly a meet and greet of their top accepted students. It’s a way for the school to now sale themselves to you.

They have their top faculty on hand, they bring in big name alumni, wine and dine you at some really nice restaurants. Some of us went out drinking with some of their faculty and they showed us their favorite spots in Manhattan, Harlem, and Brooklyn.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and it moved Union to the top of my list but was offered a far better package elsewhere.

Edited by xypathos

11 hours ago, mangoparty said:

Anyone here also applied to MTS program at HDS? My application status says my documents have not been checked and verified yet. I wonder if it is just me. 

I'm an M.Div applicant but mine say the same thing. I speculate that won't go green until they actually begin to review our documents for admission.

3 hours ago, ChristoWitch87 said:

I'm an M.Div applicant but mine say the same thing. I speculate that won't go green until they actually begin to review our documents for admission.

15 hours ago, mangoparty said:

Anyone here also applied to MTS program at HDS? My application status says my documents have not been checked and verified yet. I wonder if it is just me. 

I applied to MTS and mine says that things have been checked and verified, green check mark and all.  However, my application was manually submitted by the admissions folks after PhD rejection, so that may explain the difference.

EDIT: Update, just got an email from one of the admissions people that we will hear from them "in mid-March."

Edited by jmarvin_

3 hours ago, jmarvin_ said:

I applied to MTS and mine says that things have been checked and verified, green check mark and all.  However, my application was manually submitted by the admissions folks after PhD rejection, so that may explain the difference.

EDIT: Update, just got an email from one of the admissions people that we will hear from them "in mid-March."

Yea, based on the results section of grad café HDS seems very uniform in providing its decisions around March 16th.

Also I think you are likely right. I am a re-applicant (from 2009 granted) but I recall only going green right around the time they would have actually been looking at applications.

21 hours ago, mangoparty said:

That is odd, my application documents went to verified on 01/18/2018, submitted on 01/16/2018 with literally 3 minutes left until the 5pm EST deadline.

Finished my financial aid application as soon as it was available. I don't want to take any chances. 

32 minutes ago, HoyaX17 said:

That is odd, my application documents went to verified on 01/18/2018, submitted on 01/16/2018 with literally 3 minutes left until the 5pm EST deadline.

Finished my financial aid application as soon as it was available. I don't want to take any chances. 

That's really fast! 

11 hours ago, ChristoWitch87 said:

When did you submit your application? 

4 minutes ago, ChristoWitch87 said:

I submitted in December but a couple of my recommenders didn't submit until the day before (Jan 15th) it was due.

Thanks for sharing. I submitted mine a week before the deadline date. Maybe I should just wait a little bit more...I hope there is nothing wrong!