Extremely Low GRE Score!!!

slee

Again, I did not say you are definitively saying that the OP has a medical condition or not. I am saying that it is highly inappropriate to even suggest that it is "altogether possible" he/she does ...Throwing out a mere possibility is not okay when it is medical or psychological in nature. No need to get upset. Just apologize to the OP and move on.

that's your opinion. YOU think it is inappropriate. The other person - the one to whom the suggestion was directed in the first place - may not agree with you. It's his or her choice, not yours, whether or not s/he considers my suggestion inappropriate. And since s/he has not weighed in, I think it's safe to say that continuing to hash out whether or not what I said was offensive or appropriate is a waste of time and energy. It's not your decision to make. You can think whatever you want to but in the end, my suggestion was directed at the initial poster and therefore is to be weighed and either accepted or rejected as a possibility by the original poster.

You have an amazing penchant for making every thread you post in all about you.

Ok, so if/when the OP does reply your original post, three things can happen.

1) The OP will be offended and will say something. In which case your entire argument against me would be clearly wrong.

2) The OP will be offended, but won't say anything. In which case no one will really know.

3) The OP won't be offended at all. But then again, why would you even suggest to a random stranger that he/she may possibly have some neurological disorder when no one asks for your medical advice? I am not the only person in the world who would be offended, embarrassed, upset, etc., by such a comment about the state of my mental or physical health.

Wow, that's very presumptuous of you to decide for the other person what his or her three options in terms of a response to my comments can be. Maybe the other person can decide what his or her response is for him or herself, and doesn't need you to tell him or her what the three things that can happen in this situation are.

By the way- does anyone know anything about the paper test verses the computer test? I'm considering taking the paper test, as it might be less stressful for my third shot on the GRE.

I'm pretty sure the paper test is not an option in most parts of the world, now, definitely not in North America.

By the way- does anyone know anything about the paper test verses the computer test? I'm considering taking the paper test, as it might be less stressful for my third shot on the GRE.

IF ... and it's a big IF .... the current paper test resembles the past paper tests, 10 of which are available from ETS for about $20.00, and on amazon.com (used) for as low as $5.00 .... the paper test's problems are easier but there are more questions ...

I consistently score LOWER on (reprints of old) paper tests than I do on either POWERPREP or the real GRE.

So, I'm sorry to say, but I don't think the paper test will help you out.

I'd say, pay the bucks to get the neuropsychological documentation (my ex-wife and I did that for our daughter) and get the time accomodation you need ! Yes, it's expensive. It cost us $2500, and that was ten years ago, but it enabled her to graduate from high school, and now, to attend a (middle-ranked) undergraduate college.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ! whatever you decide !

Hi slee! While I did fine on the GRE, I think I know two strategies that may help you. First (and the easiest), you can hide the clock on the test. If you aren't sure how to do it, it's in the walkthrough before the exam starts. I also found this distracting, particularly on the reading comprehension questions, and I don't have any sort of diagnosed medical condition like ADD.

Second, and this is a bit more complex, but I really think you need to start focusing on the things that you can control. Of course, this applies to the GRE. I don't want to sound too critical, as I'm sure that the time is a factor for you. However, it might be more productive at this point to just let it go and focus on the time that you DO have during the test and make that as good as you can. The first part is the most important--if you can get through that, you'll be looking pretty good even if you have to just guess at the last 5 questions. I understand that you worked with a tutor, but have you tried working through some of the practice books on your own? Some of those can be quite helpful. Like I said, I totally understand where you are coming from with your concerns, but it seems that you've reached a roadblock in trying to get the test to change for you. Everyone comes to the test with their own set of challenges, and, in our own way, we all have to adapt (for better or worse) to the test. I just think that it would be better to focus your energy on that at this point, but only you can really know what would really help in that regard.

And, as always (whether your GRE scores is a 400 or 1600), make sure that your writing sample, personal statement, and letters of recommendation are extremely strong.

I agree and will do my best to concentrate on time management. I have several practice books, flash cards and etc. The second time around I didn't run out of time as much as I did the first time. So, there is an improvement.

Eh, how about enough with the back and forth. As far as your super craptacular GRE score. Maybe grad school, or just school isn't for you. I'm not saying you are as dumb as a bag of hammers, but your brain may just be telling you it's had it with the input function. So why not try something else? If I were you I'd load up on Adderall or Ritalin and try again. I'm not dispensing medical mumbo jumbo and I'm not legally responsible for any action you take. I'm just saying what I would do if I had your condition where . . . .was that a rabbit?! . . . you just can't focus on anything for more than. . . .I swear I saw a rabbi!. . . a few seconds.

Good luck buddy:lol:

It's okay- I'm laughing with you too. I do have a sense of humor as well. No offense taken. But, I'm gonna try again and simply give it a shot. There are many people that take the GRE more than 3-4 times and even 5 times.:rolleyes:

Edited by slee

IF ... and it's a big IF .... the current paper test resembles the past paper tests, 10 of which are available from ETS for about $20.00, and on amazon.com (used) for as low as $5.00 .... the paper test's problems are easier but there are more questions ...

I consistently score LOWER on (reprints of old) paper tests than I do on either POWERPREP or the real GRE.

So, I'm sorry to say, but I don't think the paper test will help you out.

I'd say, pay the bucks to get the neuropsychological documentation (my ex-wife and I did that for our daughter) and get the time accomodation you need ! Yes, it's expensive. It cost us $2500, and that was ten years ago, but it enabled her to graduate from high school, and now, to attend a (middle-ranked) undergraduate college.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ! whatever you decide !

Thank you- that's great to know. I will still try for the extended time and do my best with studying. I have evaluated myself and will try to work on the time issue, as I have been and do more practice tests and etc. Though, overall it goes beyond simple time management as you noticed about your daughter. There are just some brains out there that work differently than others and that is okay. None of us are the same and so I'll just work on it as I have been doing and keep trying. Thanks for the input on the paper test. It's good to know.:rolleyes:

Again, you say the only issue you have is being timed. Are you suggesting that if you had double or triple the time that you would score in the upper 90th percentiles on all three sections? That time is the only factor preventing you from scoring very highly? Take a practice test without setting any time limits and see how you do. If you indeed get a 1400+ score, then I will agree with everyone else that perhaps all you need to practice is your time management skills and make sure you aren't spending more than 90 seconds or so on any given question. But if you take a practice test and still score around 1100 or below, then I would argue that there is something more serious going on here than a simple lack of time management preventing you from scoring highly.

I am not sure why an honest reflection of your strengths and weaknesses seems to be so controversial. Yes, I understand that no one wants to be told that they have any innate weaknesses that they cannot attribute to some external factor. But I also understand that in order to really progress in life you need to be mindful of these weaknesses so that you can consistently work on them and better yourself in the long run.

Dear Honest Friend,

I see your reasoning. I agree with you that I ought to look at time management and other weaknesses to indeed understand everything from all perspectives. I did exactly what you suggested in your above statement actually. I took the test at home giving myself a little more time (not an infinite amount of time, but more time nonetheless), and I scored around 1,100. When I did take the test the second time (at the Pro Metric Testing site) and ran out of time in one section. Though this second time, it was only one section that I ran out of time and not all areas (as this occurred the first time). So, overall I got a 710 and that is total and with more time at home, I got a 1100- which is a huge difference. But, I do see what you are saying and I am acknowledging all perspectives, truly. :rolleyes:

Edited by slee

It's altogether possible that the person in question does have an actual underlying psychological problem with test taking in high-anxiety situations. This is a documented medical condition - at present, it can either fall under a long-term ADD diagnosis OR a shorter-term test anxiety disorder. People with mild to moderate ADD often go undiagnosed because they have learned coping skills or don't outwardly manifest their disorder, but in high-stress situations or times of prolonged stress their condition is exacerbated and things that they think are not going to be problematic become much more difficult, especially concentrating or focusing on a single task. There is also (much rarer, but it DOES happen) adult-onset ADD, which can be triggered by sustained bouts of stress and anxiety. Finally, there is test anxiety, and many more people than you would think are awarded extra time on ETS exams because somehow, psychologically, that helps to ease their anxiety to a point at which they can focus and take the test.

My sister was a National Honor Society student in the top 10 of her class, as well as a scholar athlete and just an all-around respected scholar. She never got less than a B on anything in any of her classes. Her PSAT score (back in the good old days of 1600 as a perfect score) was a 560 - no joke. She took it again: 560. She came home shaking and in tears after both exams. My parents had her evaluated. The doctor got the testing folks to grant her extended time. Her PSAT score: 1200. Her subsequent SAT score, also with extended time: 1470. Obviously, she was then blowing everybody else away the way everyone knew she could...the difference was in the time allotted; with the pressure off she could do the work. She ended up early decision full scholarship to W&M and is now a highly respected Math teacher.

Of course, from the sound of things, it is harder to be granted this extended time without a full bout of psychological work ups - which is unfortunate. It truly was the deciding factor for my sister.

Dear Med-

I find your assessment to be quite sound and accurate. I am not offended in the slightest by any of your comments. It is completely my own honesty that wrote the original post with my diagnosis included. I am seeing all perspectives and not at all ruling out any one's point of view. However, as you know there are many people who do suffer with anxiety and I am not ashamed to admit that I do. I understand your point was to not give a diagnosis and I did not get that by reading any of your comments. I appreciate your empathy and inputs thus far and for understanding that not all brains are wired the same way. I do indeed have extreme test anxiety which does indeed cause havoc for an adult with ADD and I was diagnosed much later, so I don't have the records dating back to childhood that ETS is requiring that I submit to them. Having said that, I do have proof this has been a continuous issue for me dating back since I could remember.

This is my first time posting anything up on this forum and so, my intention was to not use my diagnosis as any crutch or something to hide behind. I think you understand this and I appreciate your professional/personal opinions. And I have done everything on my part to work around it and push forward by studying probably longer than anyone I know. I've studied daily, every day for months and again- this is without the distraction of needing to work (because I am currently writing at home full time) and not having kids. So, as I reflect upon all of this- really, it has nothing to do with how much I understand or study or press on or evaluate myself. Some brains are just wired differently- as I am gathering is your point and I completely agree with you. I have taken into consideration tips for studying from other people. I have considered doing more practice tests at home, working on time management and have even worked on all of this with my tutor who specializes in not just GRE, but time management and study skills techniques. So, I did work with the best when it comes to this test and I did everything instructed of me and I still ran out of time on one section and still got struck with extreme anxiety regardless of all my preparations.

As I stated in response to another post- I did take the test home and gave myself extra time. When I did this- I scored 1100. But, when I was timed and under the pressure of the actual test and clock- I scored a 710 total. I have done this several times. Taking the test at home and then comparing it to 2 occasions in which I took the test and scored much lower than the times I felt the least amount of pressure because I gave myself more time. There are people out there (like my sister) who can go in under any circumstance, regardless of how stressful the situation, no matter how short of a time given, and regardless if there is distraction (noise or otherwise) and score extremely high. She is just that way and have been since she was a child. I have always been the opposite. So, all I can do is practice these tests under short time frames. I have a stop watch that I started to use and I have been timing myself so that I can try and answer the questions in a shorter amount of time. I am equally still trying to get the extra time on the test and not ruling trying to receive that extra time. Nonetheless, I am indeed looking at my weaknesses and evaluating myself as others have suggested. I am trying to see where and how I can improve.

So, everyone here is correct in their own way. There is no wrong answer. And I do thank everyone for responding and being helpful. It was never my intention to try and use a diagnosis as an excuse, nor was it ever my intention to stir up problems here. My intention was to simply get help and like I have said- this is my very first time ever posting anything on this site. Perhaps, I shot myself in the foot by being overtly honest in my original post. But, I really have nothing to lose. All I can do is ask for help and feedback and be prepared for all responses- favorable or unfavorable. There is a little bit of truth in almost anything that anyone says, so I search for it and try to learn. That is all we can do is continue to learn and get back up and try again. Failure is the only excuse I will not give myself. Failure is only one step away from success and that is one thing I will not do is give up.

Thanks!!!!

:rolleyes:

Edited by slee

My girlfriend is applying for creative writing MFA programs as well, and from what she's researched it sounds like the only thing that matters is your writing sample and maybe if you have letters from famous people. I get the impression for an MFA GREs matter very little for the program. However, they might matter for the Graduate School itself. The graduate school might have minimums for funding, or minimums for admittance, completely independent of the requirements of the MFA program. If you apply next year, you might want to email the DGS and just say, "I have low GRE score for this reasons. Will it make me uncompetitive?" or "Would you recommend I retake the GRE?" I have found that people answer those kinds of questions very candidly (they will not answer questions like, 'Is there a GRE minimum?" candidly; they will over general advice and say "most accept students...."). Good luck!

Also, you know about MFA blog and Suburban Ecstasies? Those are two website where people might have a better sense to what degree if at all GRE's matter specifically for a creative writing MFA.

You are right- the school usually has a minimum GRE requirement but the actual Creative Writing department may overlook low GRE scores if indeed they find that your writing portfolio is sound. If you are a decent writer and they see potential in you- then I believe they may let you in anyway. This is my hope.

Thanks!

Edited by slee

If you put your mind to it, I know you can do it! Good luck.

PS Thanks for responding :rolleyes: Glad to see you chose to ignore the most offensive posts on here by an unnamed user.

Thank you for your responses as well. I did respond to the post you are referring to and was not offended by either you or the other individual. I am taking all opinions and seeking the truth in what everyone has to say. So, I am taking no sides here- but am being objective in all of this. There are no wrong answers, as I mentioned in another post. Everyone has some truth behind their logic and I do thank you and everyone else for caring enough to provide suggestions. It is all appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi slee! While I did fine on the GRE, I think I know two strategies that may help you. First (and the easiest), you can hide the clock on the test. If you aren't sure how to do it, it's in the walkthrough before the exam starts. I also found this distracting, particularly on the reading comprehension questions, and I don't have any sort of diagnosed medical condition like ADD.

Second, and this is a bit more complex, but I really think you need to start focusing on the things that you can control. Of course, this applies to the GRE. I don't want to sound too critical, as I'm sure that the time is a factor for you. However, it might be more productive at this point to just let it go and focus on the time that you DO have during the test and make that as good as you can. The first part is the most important--if you can get through that, you'll be looking pretty good even if you have to just guess at the last 5 questions. I understand that you worked with a tutor, but have you tried working through some of the practice books on your own? Some of those can be quite helpful. Like I said, I totally understand where you are coming from with your concerns, but it seems that you've reached a roadblock in trying to get the test to change for you. Everyone comes to the test with their own set of challenges, and, in our own way, we all have to adapt (for better or worse) to the test. I just think that it would be better to focus your energy on that at this point, but only you can really know what would really help in that regard.

And, as always (whether your GRE scores is a 400 or 1600), make sure that your writing sample, personal statement, and letters of recommendation are extremely strong.

These are very good suggestions- so thank you. I will try not to look at the clock and focus on just doing my best and what I can control. The writing samples and personal statement and letter's of recommendation ought to be strong. You are correct about that and I will simply do my best with all of it.

Thanks!

Oh Snorri.

I am going to easy on you because your name is "Snorri," but in my original post I indeed said that it was important to not use personal circumstances as some sort of clutch when it comes to performing well on the GRE. I think we can all agree that we all have varying personal challenges that we must face on a daily basis. I am saying that it would be poor judgment to come to the immediate conclusion that the only reason for one's bad performance on a test is because of poor time management caused by ADD. If you genuinely believe that the time limit is preventing you from achieving 1400+ GRE scores, then I would challenge you to prove it to yourself by taking a full practice GRE test using as much time as you need to finish. If you score very highly, then that would point to the fact that, yes, you just need to work on time management and you should do fine. If you again score poorly, then obviously time management isn't the only problem you have.

I think my reasoning is valid and in no way am I suggesting that the OP has some mental disorder or whatever. I am, however, suggesting that the OP take the necessary steps to really figure out his/her true weaknesses so that they can be fully addressed and worked on.

I don't think I'm seeing your entire logical trajectory on the page. This section is what doesn't make sense to me:

"My point is that you don't do yourself any favors if you make all of these excuses for a bad score. You need to be honest with yourself and figure out all of your weaknesses and address them upfront."

Are you saying that documented disabilities are a sham? What about the OP's posts leads you to make this challenge to honesty?

I'm not sure what I'm being spared by virtue of my screen name, but I suppose I'm grateful.

Couple responses here:

1. The last time I checked ETS, the paper version of the GRE was being given in parts of China.

2. One testing outfit was offering to rent or sell a GRE test pacing watch. It is designed to give you the time PLUS an approximation of what question you should be on. It is CAT-sensitive and gives more time upfront. It may freak you out more or be useful for keeping you on task. Part of what led to my on the GRE was getting stuck on a problem for like five minutes and forgetting to pay attention to the clock.

Couple responses here:

1. The last time I checked ETS, the paper version of the GRE was being given in parts of China.

2. One testing outfit was offering to rent or sell a GRE test pacing watch. It is designed to give you the time PLUS an approximation of what question you should be on. It is CAT-sensitive and gives more time upfront. It may freak you out more or be useful for keeping you on task. Part of what led to my on the GRE was getting stuck on a problem for like five minutes and forgetting to pay attention to the clock.

Okay- that's good to know. I like the watch idea. I get stuck on problems often- in nearly every area. I'm working on speed at this point. :D

Considering the OP has told us he/she has already been diagnosed with ADD, I don't really see the problem with suggesting that symptoms of ADD (like issues with time management) could be contributing to his/her difficulties. If someone told me he was diabetic and asked for advice about low-sugar foods, I wouldn't say, "Sorry, I cannot help you until I have given you my own official diagnosis." Why is MedievalManiac expected to do that in this situation?

Generally speaking I'm skeptical about people receiving extra time on tests - since the time factor makes it more difficult for everyone, allowing only certain individuals to get extra time seems pretty unfair, especially when you consider the crazy diagnoses patterns for ADD (for example, about half of my high school test was medicated for ADD - something has to be wrong there!). But then, the GRE is a load of balls, so I'd be happy for anyone managing to do better on it despite its annoying limitations. Perhaps you should apply to MA programs where acceptance would be most likely, and use the time in that program to do what's necessary to get the extended time. Perhaps talking to your doctor might help, as he might be able to have some pull. Who knows. Best of luck.

while medical histories are indeed very private, when someone comes out in public, they tend to be more open to discussion - else why would they post their medical condition online and in public?

I have taught for 13 years, and have seen every learning disability under the sun. I myself have ADHD-PI, comorbid with performance anxiety and depression (the latter two have been sorted out years ago, ADHD needs a far more long-term approach.

Ironically, I'm in the opposite boat - I test extremely well, but my undergrad and high school grades were stunningly weak (2.0??), while I took the SAT without outside prep and nailed a 790 verbal, 710 math (the math reflects ADHD - every question I missed (checkable if you get the Q&A Service option) was due to a simple error when my brain would drift off at exactly the wrong moment in the chain of logical thinking required to solve them tricky questions.

I was not diagnosed with anything until after I graduated college, so this leads me to hypothesize a few things:

- I believe that one can make ADHD work to one's advantage, or at least level the playing field on these exams. For example, on a paper test, when you've eliminated an answer, you don't just put an X on the letter, you SCRIBBLE the entire thing out. Brain can't see it, less distraction. I read critical reading passages "with a pencil" - using the pencil to keep my eyes from wandering. I rarely miss a CR question (my GRE verbal was 690, 97th percentile, two weeks self-prep before taking the thing).

- Paper-based is also available in Japan, and Korea...here, there's a split paper test. You take the AW on one day, then the verbal/quant on another day. It's only administered once a year, and ETS feels that it's necessary here due to rampant cheating. Regarding the paper test, I just did a bunch of practice tests (out of books, hence on paper), which allowed me to use all my "tricks" to keep me focused. I'd either get all of them right, or miss at most 2. On the actual computer-based test (I flew to Tokyo solely to take the GRE), I bombed (relatively speaking), got a 710 math, and ran out of time with 9 questions remaining (I think there was a question counter at the top, I was rather unsettled at either the different patterns in the computer GRE, or the fact that I couldn't scribble directly on the question took away my main weapon?). AW was 5.0, I think 6 is impossible for me since my writing style is so stream-of-consciousness.

- and in both my personal experience with ADHD-PI, as well as working with innumerable students over the years with learning disabilities (I once worked with a guy who had a laundry list of diagnosed issues, ADHD among them, ETS gave him a split test SAT - half on one day, untimed, half on the next day, also untimed). There are ways to teach a student how to work around these standardized tests - he went from 750 combined to 1210 combined. So little is understood about the human mind even in this era, that it's a mistake to pin everything on a single, simplistic diagnosis. There are different types of ADHD, and even within those types, ADHD patients present their symtoms in different ways. Medications work differently in different people, and broadly generalizing, what works with ADHD with hyperactivity present, doesn't always work so well with ADHD, predominantly inattentive (not hyperactive). ADHD is often comorbid with other disorders - I never thought I was a nervous person until I started reacting badly to methylphenidate with panic attacks, but turns out I had an anxiety issue deeply buried that even I wasn't aware of, but affected my performance in nearly everything that mattered. That had to be completely treated before I could work on the ADHD. Or ADHD could be a SYMPTOM of something else, oftentimes depression. Even if one isn't "classically" depressed, they might be dysthymic. There are visual and auditory processing disorders. Are disorders singular, or always comorbid in a Gordian knot? Do you medicate? Group therapy? Cognitive behavioral therapy? Lots of questions, and a lot of self-analysis plus good psych workups (always, always with a second or third opinion) can help you get to the bottom of a learning "disability".

And I hate that term, "disability". Having ADHD hasn't prevented or handicapped me from learning anything. Sitting still for more than five minutes, yes, that was a problem. But certainly not disabled. Getting good grades, or doing well on tests, ok, there's a handicap there. But in terms of the mind actually learning, I don't believe that ADHD handicaps us from that. I'll find out more for sure, if Harvard lets me into their Mind, Brain, and Education Ed.M program!!

And I hate that term, "disability". Having ADHD hasn't prevented or handicapped me from learning anything. Sitting still for more than five minutes, yes, that was a problem. But certainly not disabled. Getting good grades, or doing well on tests, ok, there's a handicap there. But in terms of the mind actually learning, I don't believe that ADHD handicaps us from that. I'll find out more for sure, if Harvard lets me into their Mind, Brain, and Education Ed.M program!!

anyways, take heart in that in any fine arts program, it's portfolio, portfolio, and portfolio.

quick fix: work with a psychiatrist to find the best stimulant to calm you down. Then go on benzodiazepenes for anxiety.

long-term: I've worked with psychiatrists for over a decade, and I find cognitive behavioral therapy to be the most interesting, the one where *you* as a patient need to take an active role, and the one with the most permanent results.

2. One testing outfit was offering to rent or sell a GRE test pacing watch. It is designed to give you the time PLUS an approximation of what question you should be on. It is CAT-sensitive and gives more time upfront.

I don't know where your center was but my wife took the GRE yesterday in the US. There was a "no watch" policy, one that started just recently. So she had to put the watch in the locker before she could go in to take the test.

She had time issues with the quant section too and couldn't do 6 questions (but I'd told her to make sure she guessed answers and completed the section because I believe incomplete/unattempted questions are penalized heavily. Anyway, she ended up with a verbal 410 and quant 680. Its a bad score esp as she wants to apply to 2 engineering depts here at the university where I'm attending grad school (and this is one of the higher ranked places and I doubt this GRE score is good enough but we're keeping our fingers crossed.. she is going back to India for a couple of months, she is going to take an advanced programming course, going to prepare her applications, etc. So lets see).

does verbal really count in engineering? especially if English is not your first language?

But quant really does need to be 800 or close to it I think. My 710 quant was only the 73rd percentile. I would have retaken but I don't think quant matters as much for education grad school as it does for applied sciences and mathematics.

does verbal really count in engineering? especially if English is not your first language?

But quant really does need to be 800 or close to it I think. My 710 quant was only the 73rd percentile. I would have retaken but I don't think quant matters as much for education grad school as it does for applied sciences and mathematics.

Precisely. I do think she will need to retake and get ~800 on the quant. Its an uphill task (from 680, that is) but it can be done.

Considering the OP has told us he/she has already been diagnosed with ADD, I don't really see the problem with suggesting that symptoms of ADD (like issues with time management) could be contributing to his/her difficulties. If someone told me he was diabetic and asked for advice about low-sugar foods, I wouldn't say, "Sorry, I cannot help you until I have given you my own official diagnosis." Why is MedievalManiac expected to do that in this situation?

Generally speaking I'm skeptical about people receiving extra time on tests - since the time factor makes it more difficult for everyone, allowing only certain individuals to get extra time seems pretty unfair, especially when you consider the crazy diagnoses patterns for ADD (for example, about half of my high school test was medicated for ADD - something has to be wrong there!). But then, the GRE is a load of balls, so I'd be happy for anyone managing to do better on it despite its annoying limitations. Perhaps you should apply to MA programs where acceptance would be most likely, and use the time in that program to do what's necessary to get the extended time. Perhaps talking to your doctor might help, as he might be able to have some pull. Who knows. Best of luck.

I don't consider anything MedievalManiac said offensive in the slightest. I think he was simply pointing out that those with ADD often suffer with anxiety that does weaken performance on test taking. Again, not everyone is built the same way however we're all forced to adhere to the same test that is supposedly tried and true and 100% accurate in assessing what sort of student gets into a program. ETS has not been flexible with revising this test, I disagree with the fact that a group of people out there decided that this test is so absolutely perfect- that it ought not be revised. This test should be only left-brain geared and nothing on it should be creative at all- because I assume....what....only left brain people have the potential to excel? So if you do well on this extremely left brain test then your not a complete moron and you have proven yourself capable of attending Yale, Stanford, Harvard, and etc? Are they saying that creativity is something that should not be tested or valued? Shouldn't the test be more of a reflection on various subjects rather than the way it is designed currently? They do have subject tests, yet that is not including everything else you are forced to absorb and remember.

While some people may not agree with ADD being a disability, they may think the fact that I brought it up altogether an extremely stupid and irrelevant point and some here may indeed have ADD themselves and they have excelled in all fields of their life. For my specific situation and I am only speaking for myself- the condition has always caused problems and I know many people with my diagnosis that does poorly under certain conditions. It does not mean my IQ is so low that I am incapable of learning or not going to grad school at all. Just because I'm wired differently and I need- a little more time. And I am not talking about endless amount of time here. I'm talking about 10 minutes in each section at the most and it's like pulling teeth just to get it. So, regardless of my condition- I have taken the test twice WITHOUT EXTRA TIME and I'm studying a third time to take it again and this will more than likely be WITHOUT EXTRA TIME. Now regarding ADD- it is not a pass to get extra time. A person could have ADD and multiple diagnosis from credible doctors and ETS does not care. So, those with this diagnosis are not treated with any special treatment- trust me on this. It takes MONTHS to go through Neuro-psychological testing, send the reports back to a Neurologist for review, and then get the final reports to send to ETS. They want every documented material on the matter since birth. They want several tests, doctor's notes, psychiatrist notes, and more... The test itself that they request can take up to 2-3 days and this is 8-10 hours a day of testing. So, being treated like a lab rat is not fun. It is not something I went out of my way to do to somehow cheat the system? So, I am not going to bother trying to wait around for months and do all of this energy draining stuff- for extra time. I need these months to study- not run around from hospital to hospital.

In general, I find the test poorly designed. Having said that, anyone is free to respond and defend this GRE test. But at this point, I really could care less. Because you know what- as I have said before commenting on others- I have never hid behind having ADD or whatever else. Despite it all I have busted my ass to study for this test and as I said before I am not giving up. And honestly, I don't think a low score is an indicator that someone can't meet goals, or succeed in a given program, or is going to be less successful than someone accepted into an Ivy League school.

But once again, who the heck am I, right? My opinion obviously means very little to those schools wanting a high score. Some of you assume that just because I have chosen an MFA that somehow that excuses me from these scores and the pressure to score high. That is simply not true at all. Schools have a minimum and that minimum requires a certain standard score. So, I'm back to studying today and I just have to play by their rules. I don't like these rules and I dislike being judged on the basis of how well I perform on a test- but this is the way Grad-School world works.

Though, I hope that they consider my writing portfolio and see that I'm not a complete moron because I scored very low on some test. Hopefully, they read my material (writing samples) and review my statement of purpose and they see that I am quite accomplished, intelligent, and capable of success and meeting all objectives the school requests.

So be it....

Edited by slee

"I agree- I dislike the term "disability" as well. It is a classification that ETS uses, although I never had problems with learning either. I just have anxiety and focus issues that cause problems with time sensitive test taking. Good luck with Harvard! :rolleyes:"

What terminology would you prefer?

Edited by snorri