Extremely Low GRE Score!!!

slee

Yeah, I think it's ridiculous how little time they give you on the GREs. It's also COMPLETELY unfair the stuff you have to go through to get extra time. I know that I'm going to have trouble on mine, and I'm not looking forward to it.

I'm wondering if you've ever thought about taking some medication? It's pretty easy to get. If you're worried about becoming dependent on it or whatever, I'm sure you could just get a prescription for the time you need to study and take the test. It's not giving up or conceding, it's just leveling the playing field for you. Best of luck!

Yeah, I noticed some had suggested it as well. At the time that I took the GRE this last time (second attempt) I had gotten off of my ADD medication about 1 week before taking the test. Cause my thoughts were- hey, I'm 33, I'm an adult, I don't need them?!?! I am wondering now if that was such a wise thing to do right before a test? I know...duh? Right? I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I wasn't. I simply was trying to go all organic and stay off of it, but now that I am planning on taking it a third time and have opted against getting extended time (because trying to do so would take a very long time to process or approve). I am currently back on ADD medication. I can read and focus much more on my medication. I know in some of my responses I had stated that I was going to try and avoid meds, but- it actually is working for me now. I didn't get off of them before because they weren't working. I was going through this phase where I was trying to go all holistic. Now, I've learned not to experiment with holistic/organic remedies before an important test. I've learned that it's not such a bad idea to maybe stay on the meds especially on the day of the test. Ha ha ha....I just have to laugh at myself. It has helped me concentrate and with the added support of all of you here that have been kind enough to offer some great suggestions and better study habits, I think three time's a charm. I am striving to do much better this next time around and have a sense of humor about it all. By simply lightening up about it, I'm much more relaxed and able to focus more during my study sessions.

:D

Yeah, I noticed some had suggested it as well. At the time that I took the GRE this last time (second attempt) I had gotten off of my ADD medication about 1 week before taking the test. Cause my thoughts were- hey, I'm 33, I'm an adult, I don't need them?!?! I am wondering now if that was such a wise thing to do right before a test? I know...duh? Right? I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I wasn't. I simply was trying to go all organic and stay off of it, but now that I am planning on taking it a third time and have opted against getting extended time (because trying to do so would take a very long time to process or approve). I am currently back on ADD medication. I can read and focus much more on my medication. I know in some of my responses I had stated that I was going to try and avoid meds, but- it actually is working for me now. I didn't get off of them before because they weren't working. I was going through this phase where I was trying to go all holistic. Now, I've learned not to experiment with holistic/organic remedies before an important test. I've learned that it's not such a bad idea to maybe stay on the meds especially on the day of the test. Ha ha ha....I just have to laugh at myself. It has helped me concentrate and with the added support of all of you here that have been kind enough to offer some great suggestions and better study habits, I think three time's a charm. I am striving to do much better this next time around and have a sense of humor about it all. By simply lightening up about it, I'm much more relaxed and able to focus more during my study sessions.

:D

Go slee! We know you can do it. The ADD stuff is just messed up chemistry and has nothing to do with the intelligent person (I assume you're a man, but don't know positively) we know as slee.

Good luck, stay on the meds, at least a week before the test continuously, then definitely on the day of the test. Oh, and also, there are really goOd holistic things you can do to help: get plenty of sleep, drink lots of water, exercise moderately, and take a break from studying every now and then too!

Geez sorry I sound like an old man ... Oh yeah! I am an old man. :P

Again, good luck Mr./Ms. Slee! :D

John

• 4 months later...

Slee,

I LOVE your attitude, and all the inspirational quotes in your siggy line. I think your attitude will more than make up for any shortcomings you have in your apps due to GRE score issues. :)

I have bipolar I, ADD, and a panic disorder, all of which were only diagnosed in the past two years, but I've struggled with it for most of my life. I'm nuttier than a squirrel turd. It's been a nightmare for my GRE prep as well as testing, period. I have test issues, especially with timed tests, like you. I've struggled with finding what works for me so that I can take a test with relative confidence.

Now, what I'm about to say is not intended to tell you what to do or take, or modify whatever medication regimen you're currently on (if any). It's simply something that my doctor and I have found works for me. I'm assuming that you're under the care of a physician for your ADD. I encourage you to speak with your doctor regarding your personal situation and medications. If you feel like this might be a viable option to help you with timed tests, by all means ask your doctor if you can do something similar with your medications. That said, I take Adderall for the ADD and Ativan for the panic disorder. I've found that taking a regular dose of Adderall, plus a half dose of the Ativan (to take the edge off of the anxiety without dulling the effect of the Adderall), helps me tremendously. I went from C's to A's because I could finally think clearly. Again, that's what works for me -- in a testing situation, my anxiety tends to override the effect of the Adderall.

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds. I just know how frustrating it is to know you know your stuff, but not be able to properly demonstrate it in certain situations. I want to help you if I can. I sincerely wish you the best of luck! :D

• 7 years later...

FOR ANYONE LOOKING TO TAKE THE GRE.. just take it with out stress. The score doesn’t really matter. I took it and guessed every answer just to get through the test. I am current on scholarship in my graduate program. I was lucky enough to have my advicer tell me to just take it and get it over with because it’s a test that does not have a passing grade..(wtf) I guess for $$200 your practically buying your way in. Unless, you are trying to get into a seriously competitive school, some top Ivy League, then don’t stress it. Gre was just a way these Pearson companies find ways to milk money out of college students pockets. Remember they made undergraduate schooling free so they need to start finding other means to make money. 

• 2 weeks later...