Anyone else doing comp lit?

On 3/7/2018 at 11:24 AM, Jožin z bažin said:

A few existential crises later—I'm on the wait list for U. Maryland and Penn! If anyone is likely to decline their offer, please let me know!

I'd like to reiterate this but also to obviously choose whichever school best suits you.  I hope my moaning doesn't somehow get subconsciously woven into any unduly negative thoughts about the school and ruin impressions or bias decisions in any ways.  Also, congrats to everyone!  If the wait list doesn't work out for me, turn a page or two for those that didn't make it (hopefully a good book, if you'd indulge me).

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, immanentfields said:

Just declined a very generous offer from Michigan (areas: poetry, Latin American studies, translation)--hope this becomes good news for someone else!

Where are you going? I've accepted Penn's offer! 

EDIT: I'm sadly also turning down Michigan (haven't had the heart to send that email through just yet).

Edited by DatGuy

21 hours ago, DatGuy said:

Where are you going? I've accepted Penn's offer! 

EDIT: I'm sadly also turning down Michigan (haven't had the heart to send that email through just yet).

Awesome! I'm not sure yet myself (I'm literally at Penn right now) but based on teaching load and location I knew it wasn't going to be Michigan, so I went ahead and passed so that someone on the waitlist could move up. The rest of this decision, though, is... difficult.

17 minutes ago, immanentfields said:

Awesome! I'm not sure yet myself (I'm literally at Penn right now) but based on teaching load and location I knew it wasn't going to be Michigan, so I went ahead and passed so that someone on the waitlist could move up. The rest of this decision, though, is... difficult.

Haha, cool! I was there just last week. Hope you like it! Are you picking between there and Northwestern?

On 3/29/2018 at 3:58 PM, immanentfields said:

Just declined a very generous offer from Michigan (areas: poetry, Latin American studies, translation)--hope this becomes good news for someone else!

I know that feeling. I recently declined a very generous offer from SUNY-Buffalo to accept an offer at Emory. I was very torn about it but knew that it was the right choice.

7 hours ago, jelris said:

I know that feeling. I recently declined a very generous offer from SUNY-Buffalo to accept an offer at Emory. I was very torn about it but knew that it was the right choice.

Congrats on deciding! Emory sounds like a great program.

11 hours ago, DatGuy said:

Haha, cool! I was there just last week. Hope you like it! Are you picking between there and Northwestern?

Yeah it's been really great here, actually. I'm deciding between Penn, NW, and Harvard. All pretty similar on the basics but a different feel for each.

16 hours ago, immanentfields said:

Yeah it's been really great here, actually. I'm deciding between Penn, NW, and Harvard. All pretty similar on the basics but a different feel for each.

Those are all good schools, so look at it this way: you really can't go wrong. I hope you pick what's best for you. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 5:17 PM, immanentfields said:

Posting for next year's applicants sense of timeline and possibility (as I'm probably declining it) but I just got in off the waitlist at Princeton.

Have you decided where you’re going? One day till April 15th. 

22 hours ago, DatGuy said:

Have you decided where you’re going? One day till April 15th. 

Yep--accepted the offer at Penn! Made things official last night, which also means there might be waitlist movement at Harvard, Princeton, and Northwestern. Hope that helps someone!

5 hours ago, immanentfields said:

Yep--accepted the offer at Penn! Made things official last night, which also means there might be waitlist movement at Harvard, Princeton, and Northwestern. Hope that helps someone!

Oh, amazing! Looks like we'll be cohort mates then. What a trip it's been!