Anyone else doing comp lit?

40 minutes ago, jshaarawi said:

Yes! I applied to Columbia, Harvard, Yale, Brown, Princeton, NYU, Emory, CUNY, UC Davis, Northwestern, U. of Chicago, U. of Penn (lol i went a little overboard with applications). I'm  an international from Egypt, I graduated from the American Uni. in Cairo with a double major in Comp. Lit and Sociology. I also have an MFA from Columbia in Fiction. I hope to focus my research on Middle Eastern & North African Literature. Heard back from Davis and I have a Skype interview with them today (TERRIFIED)! 

Don't stress too much about interviews! I had two and they were both pretty informal. If you have a foreign language, they might want to speak with you in that language to make sure you can teach. That's the only part that threw me off a bit since I haven't used my German in a while. Anyway, best of luck!

58 minutes ago, jshaarawi said:

Yes! I applied to Columbia, Harvard, Yale, Brown, Princeton, NYU, Emory, CUNY, UC Davis, Northwestern, U. of Chicago, U. of Penn (lol i went a little overboard with applications). I'm  an international from Egypt, I graduated from the American Uni. in Cairo with a double major in Comp. Lit and Sociology. I also have an MFA from Columbia in Fiction. I hope to focus my research on Middle Eastern & North African Literature. Heard back from Davis and I have a Skype interview with them today (TERRIFIED)! 

Good luck! My undergrad thesis chair, Tim Parrish, is at Davis and he's great

10 minutes ago, jshaarawi said:

My roommate has banned me from checking the results page because it's actually making me crazy.

sooooo true....i think im gonna die even before any result comes out

On 2018/1/25 at 11:39 AM, Jožin z bažin said:

Glad to see some applications to Duke! For those who end up taking an offer, feel free to message me with any questions on the Triangle or UNC–Chapel Hill. 

I've applied to UNC, any news from there?

Hey all! Future applicant here (Fall 19). I'm so happy someone has finally made a comp lit thread, and will be following it closely and rooting for you guys over the coming weeks! 

I was wondering if anyone would be up to chatting about the application process—SOP, POI contact, LORs, etc. I'm trying to learn as much about the process as possible before I start crafting my applications, and would really appreciate the opportunity to pick someone's brain on this topic :-P Please let me know if I can DM you!

I applied to UC Berkeley, CUNY, Emory, Northwestern, Cornell, WashU, Pennsylvania, Brown, and Toronto. So Far I've got 1 rejection (Berkeley), 2 acceptances (Northwestern and Toronto), and I'm set for two interviews next week (Emory and CUNY). Considering I'm an international applicant with no background in literary studies I guess I'm doing really well, but I still want to hear from the remaining U's before taking my final decision.

I wish the best of luck to all of you ;).

I got an interview with CUNY! Very excited about it, their faculty is super cool. Still no word from Chicago or Michigan, but it's starting to look like implied rejections from them...

Hi guys! I am so excited to see Comp Lit' people on here! Have applied to Penn, Chicago, Ann Arbor, UT Austin, NYU (English), and UMN. Received acceptances from UMN and Ann Arbor thus far (was 'datguy' who posted the first Ann Arbor acceptance on the list). Excited to hear about the other schools, but mostly Penn, really. Penn and Ann Arbor were tied for my top choice when I applied!

Edited by DatGuy

I haven't heard anything from that thus far, if it helps! Admittedly, my fit with them was just okay though.

10 hours ago, Arendtlover said:

Hi guys! do you think there's still chance with Chicago? They sent a couple of interviews (weird, because they usually do not)... Did anyone receive something from Chicago?

On 2/2/2018 at 5:23 PM, Mopreller said:

I applied to UC Berkeley, John Hopkins, CUNY, Emory, Northwestern, Cornell, Toronto, Pennsylvania, Brown, and SUNY Buffalo. So Far I've got 1 rejection (Berkeley), 2 acceptances (Northwestern and Toronto), and I'm set for two interviews next week (Emory and CUNY). Considering I'm an international applicant with no background in literary studies I guess I'm doing really well, but I still want to hear from the remaining U's before taking my final decision.

I wish the best of luck to all of you ;).

Congrats! I was just wondering which program you applied to at Toronto. I forgot to send in my hard copy application and they just forwarded my application like a week ago...not sure if I'll still be considered haha

On 2/4/2018 at 6:05 AM, Arendtlover said:

Hi guys! do you think there's still chance with Chicago? They sent a couple of interviews (weird, because they usually do not)... Did anyone receive something from Chicago?

Hi, I had an interview with them today. Unfortunately, I don't have any new info to give. I do know that this is the first year interviews are being conducted.

33 minutes ago, to_di said:

Hi, I had an interview with them today. Unfortunately, I don't have any new info to give. I do know that this is the first year interviews are being conducted.

Thank you! I hope it went well and good luck!