Anyone else doing comp lit?

On 2/3/2018 at 11:05 PM, Arendtlover said:

Hi guys! do you think there's still chance with Chicago? They sent a couple of interviews (weird, because they usually do not)... Did anyone receive something from Chicago?

I had my interview with Chicago today. They said they were in the process of finalizing and that I should expect to hear back in a couple of days (whether that means 3 days or 10 days... not exactly sure), but keep a lookout for this week or early next week. It's possible that they didn't interview every potential candidate. Good luck! 

6 minutes ago, glg96 said:

I had my interview with Chicago today. They said they were in the process of finalizing and that I should expect to hear back in a couple of days (whether that means 3 days or 10 days... not exactly sure), but keep a lookout for this week or early next week. It's possible that they didn't interview every potential candidate. Good luck! 

Thank you for the information! Congratulations for the interview and good luck to you too!

10 minutes ago, DatGuy said:

I've just looked at the results page, and it seems like Penn has begun sending in interview calls!

I saw that--does anyone know if this is something they do for all applicants? I don't remember thinking of them as an interview-heavy school (in contrast to, say, Emory and Duke). 

8 minutes ago, immanentfields said:

I saw that--does anyone know if this is something they do for all applicants? I don't remember thinking of them as an interview-heavy school (in contrast to, say, Emory and Duke). 

I'm unsure. I do think they interview all applicants, but, seeing the results from last year, I'm also noticing that they split up their interview call ups. Some people were given an interview on Feb 5th, and others on Feb 9th. So it's likely split this year as well. All this to say: not all is lost! 

3 minutes ago, DatGuy said:

I'm unsure. I do think they interview all applicants, but, seeing the results from last year, I'm also noticing that they split up their interview call ups. Some people were given an interview on Feb 5th, and others on Feb 9th. So it's likely split this year as well. All this to say: not all is lost! 

Awesome--thanks for checking on that. I realized after posting that I could do the search myself--and it does seem like they interview a lot--but I didn't notice the dates. 

53 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

I don’t get it, so many of these programs i had down as non-interview. Anyway Yale is my top choice so now I’m concerned.

Yeah I didn't really expect so many schools to interview either, based on my survey of last year. 

Two updates: I think Chicago did interview all of their finalists--yes, the first year they've done interviews. And Yale is supposed to be conducting interviews this week (though maybe not for everyone?) and then making decisions some time next week.

5 hours ago, ely01 said:

Two updates: I think Chicago did interview all of their finalists--yes, the first year they've done interviews. And Yale is supposed to be conducting interviews this week (though maybe not for everyone?) and then making decisions some time next week.

Where are you getting this Yale information from?

Hi @Jožin z bažin: long time lurker, first time poster here. Congratulations! I think it depends on the program, but the two interviews I've had so far (CUNY and Rutgers) have been pretty casual. On your end, you'll mostly be just talking about your research interests and why you think Penn would be a good fit for you. Whoever you're interviewing with will talk about the program itself and answer any questions you have at this stage. I'd say half of the point of these is to give them a clearer sense of who you are outside of your written applications--whether you're as intelligent and committed as your SOP indicates, if you'd be pleasant to work with, etc. The other purpose is to start selling you on the program and begin pre-planning how to work with you. That's just my sense of it, though.

Did you get the idea that Penn is done notifying about interviews, or if there are still more to come out this week?

14 minutes ago, Jožin z bažin said:

I just got an email from Penn for an interview (posted on the results page). Does anyone know what these interviews are like?

Congratulations! I had a friend who gave one last year. She said it was very casual, the 'committee' (really just two professors) were nice, and asked about her research. Mainly was to understand personality fit, from what she told me.

15 minutes ago, Jožin z bažin said:

I just got an email from Penn for an interview (posted on the results page). Does anyone know what these interviews are like?

Really depends on the department. Some interviews are just a formality, as a final stage before finalizing an offer. In that case they just want to make sure there is no stark contrast between the file and the person. Also to hear your English, if you're international.

Other interviews can actually be a stage in the admissions process, with departments interviewing more candidates than they expect to admit.

One way or another, I would prepare for the following:

1) "Tell us a bit about yourself / your project"

2) "Why do you thuink the department at XYZ is a good fit for you?" - probably the most important question

Another thing that is important is to show enthusiasm - departments want to admit people that are likely to actually be attending. They're not supposed to outright ask you where else you've been admitted or what your priority is, but you should give them a sense that the department is a top choice for you.

Good luck!

Huge thanks to @gregs@DatGuy, and @to_di for the quick response and advice. The email said I made the short list, so they definitely interview all candidates (as I had assumed from the results page), but I would guess they're sending them over a few days since the request gives short notice.

3 minutes ago, Jožin z bažin said:

Huge thanks to @gregs@DatGuy, and @to_di for the quick response and advice. The email said I made the short list, so they definitely interview all candidates (as I had assumed from the results page), but I would guess they're sending them over a few days since the request gives short notice.

No worries! Would you mind clarifying what "short notice" entails? Penn and Michigan (got in there already) are the only two schools I'm excited about, so you may be able to understand why I'm dying for any information here!

4 minutes ago, Jožin z bažin said:

Also, yeah, even as the interview is casual and friendly, for Penn it is very much a "stage" in the admissions process as @to_di has mentioned. Do your best! 

To anyone else who applied, previous years show interviews going out on more than one day. In 2016 invites were sent Feb 5 and 9, for example. They requested 15 minutes for tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Jožin z bažin said:

To anyone else who applied, previous years show interviews going out on more than one day. In 2016 invites were sent Feb 5 and 9, for example. They requested 15 minutes for tomorrow.

Okay, that makes sense. There is hope, I suppose. Thanks, friend! And good luck! If you feel comfortable, do share how the interview tomorrow goes!