Fall 2018 German

stria

14 hours ago, stria said:

Likewise! I applied to several programs last December, though I imagine it’s too soon to receive decisions. What are your areas of interests?

Yeah I think it's still quite early for most places, but I did get an acceptance from Northwestern yesterday!

I'm interested in spatial theories, the demonic, travel and movement in literature, amongst other things. How about you?

8 hours ago, joselynr said:

hi, hello. 

i applied to 3 german studies programs and 1 philosophy and 1 interdisciplinary and plan to apply to german MA programs still 

Hello! Nice to see someone else around!

3 hours ago, joselynr said:

indeed! 

I applied to Northwestern, too. But have heard nada. 

Waiting game continues...

Ah I'm sure you'll be getting a response very soon then! Good luck!

3 hours ago, stria said:

Nice to see you here@joselynr. I’m sure you’ll hear back soon.

@avraven, congrats on your acceptance to Northwestern!

I’m interested in performative paradigms in postwar art and poetry.

Thank you! Your ideas sound great, where have you applied?

27 minutes ago, avraven said:

Thank you! Your ideas sound great, where have you applied?

Thanks! I’m interested in learning more about spatiality as a concept in literature. Can you recommend any texts as a starting place?

I applied to Penn, Harvard, Carolina-Duke, Princeton, and Washington. I picked programs that seemed to encourage interdisciplinary research. I’ve had one interview over Skype with UNC-Duke, about two weeks ago. I thought it went well. 

Where did you apply?

1 hour ago, stria said:

Thanks! I’m interested in learning more about spatiality as a concept in literature. Can you recommend any texts as a starting place?

I applied to Penn, Harvard, Carolina-Duke, Princeton, and Washington. I picked programs that seemed to encourage interdisciplinary research. I’ve had one interview over Skype with UNC-Duke, about two weeks ago. I thought it went well. 

Where did you apply?

The best place to start is probably Henri Lefebvre on the production of space, and then there are lots of different directions from there. David Harvey for capitalism and space, Elizabeth Wilson for feminist space etc...

I applied to Penn also, Northwestern, Cornell and Yale. Fully expected to be entirely rejected so very glad to have an early acceptance!

39 minutes ago, avraven said:

The best place to start is probably Henri Lefebvre on the production of space, and then there are lots of different directions from there. David Harvey for capitalism and space, Elizabeth Wilson for feminist space etc...

I applied to Penn also, Northwestern, Cornell and Yale. Fully expected to be entirely rejected so very glad to have an early acceptance!

I think the only overlap for me is Northwestern. The rest of my apps were to UCSB, UCI, and two more places for different programs 

39 minutes ago, avraven said:

Thanks for sharing — I’ve read bits by Lefebvre but not Harvey or Wilson. 

Well, to be totally honest, I’m also expecting rejections. I’ll take your early acceptance as a sign of good things to come for all of us.

Is there a program you prefer?

16 hours ago, stria said:

Thanks for sharing — I’ve read bits by Lefebvre but not Harvey or Wilson. 

Well, to be totally honest, I’m also expecting rejections. I’ll take your early acceptance as a sign of good things to come for all of us.

Is there a program you prefer?

That's the risk of applying to top programs I guess.. Best of luck to you though! (At least German isn't insanely oversubscribed haha)

I actually don't think I have a preferred program, I got very positive responses from faculty members when I approached them before applying so I'd be happy with any I think. I'm international so I don't have any actual experience of these universities/cities either. How about you?

16 hours ago, joselynr said:

I think the only overlap for me is Northwestern. The rest of my apps were to UCSB, UCI, and two more places for different programs 

Good luck with them! Hopefully the wait isn't dragged out...

Edited by avraven

On 30/01/2018 at 12:46 AM, CHAO_O said:

I applied 4 German PhDs and 4 SLA. had two interviews from UC Davis and Penn State

Hello! I hope the interviews went well, where else have you applied? :)

On 2/1/2018 at 10:15 AM, avraven said:

Hello! I hope the interviews went well, where else have you applied? :)

Thank YOU! I also Applied WUSTL (rejected yesterday) and Duke (I saw offer already but didn't even get interview, so I assume rej on the way.)

How about you

5 hours ago, joselynr said:

well i was among the few candidates--though no offer of admissions has been given--to come visit campus next week. already been interviewed, being reimbursed, too. so very much confused but taking it as positive. 

Thanks for the info, I am almost sure and hope that it is positive! Is this Yale of Brown?

EDIT: Or somewhere else?

Edited by Travala

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! 

Has anyone else heard from Penn State? I applied to their German program and had a skype interview with them about two weeks ago? This is my first time applying for schools and I'm trying not to let my nerves get the best of me.