Decision timelines for particular universities and programs derived from the gradcafe data + GRE/GPA distributions

seems_fair

9 hours ago, there_is_a_wait_so_long said:

Sociology is in one of the answers above. Geography I will check if there is enough data.  

Ooops. Sorry I missed the Sociology one. Great work again!

15 hours ago, semling said:

Wow, that Literature one is ... sobering. Y'all have my sympathies.

image.png.cad1c0ece7fee8a9f1ceb5f7385b7f55.png

If this doesn't work out with the Arabic thing, I think I'm going to switch to Computer Science ....

image.png.890d23bdc390500eabcdccd317518174.png

I wouldn't look at accepted/rejected ratio in this data because it is definitely biased. People are more likely to brag about accepts than rejects. And CS is crazy competitive. I am applying to CS and scared shitless.

Sweating here guys...

Berkeley Civil Engineering Undergrad

GPA: 3.75, Upper Division GPA: 3.80, graduated cum laude, dean's honor roll during entire undergrad.

GRE: Q: 164 (87%), V: 148 (38%), W: 4.0 (60%)

2 Letters of Rec from Berkeley Professors

2 Honor Societies (held office for 2 years with 2 positions)

Competition team member - won Nationals 2 years in a row

Boeing Scholarship Recipient for Academic Excellence

Applied for Structural Engineering MS to:
Berkeley, Stanford, USC, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis

...scared shitless. Please someone talk some sense into me.

This is incredible--thank you so much for taking the time to make this and share it with us. Would you be willing to do one for Education or Special Education? Best of luck with your application process--hope you'll be hearing some good news soon!

17 hours ago, birdy-bear said:

This is incredible--thank you so much for taking the time to make this and share it with us. Would you be willing to do one for Education or Special Education? Best of luck with your application process--hope you'll be hearing some good news soon!

Thanks! Here you go:

Education PhD https://imgur.com/a/NVZQH

Education MS https://imgur.com/a/yfoQz

13 hours ago, Kingsouth said:

Damn I love graphs. Don't know why I'm now suddenly intrigued by the acceptance ratios of fields I've never even thought about, but either way, made my day.

I wouldn't look to acceptance rates based on this data because they are definitely skewed towards acceptance in most cases. 

9 minutes ago, there_is_a_wait_so_long said:

I wouldn't look to acceptance rates based on this data because they are definitely skewed towards acceptance in most cases. 

Yeh I've noticed that. Your comments about the GRE and GPA data being unreliable rings true as I follow your work, that and I've also found that certain sets to be off (date wise) depending if those dates fall on certain days of the week.

I also believe the data to be influenced by posts that either believe they would get into an institution, but were rejected, and the reverse for acceptances. These two groups seem the most likely to have posted their information. Comments attached usually reflect this observation. I say this in regards to mostly the humanities.

In any case, love your work, keep it up and good luck with your applications!

On 1/25/2018 at 8:58 PM, Guest345 said:

I'm sure the History folks would love to see a graph reflecting their admissions data. If at all possible and time + energy allows.

Yes, +1 to this if you have time to add that!  Great work on what you've done so far, o.p.  =)

EDIT:  whoops, didn't read all the way down the first page, just glanced at the o.p. and opened my big mouth!

/embarrassed

Edited by fortsibut

Thanks for this! I know USC English is a long shot, but met one of my POIs this summer, and he helped with my app materials and wrote me a letter of rec for all programs I applied to, plus told the English committee that he strongly recommends my application.

Good luck everyone!