So, following the trend of the comp lit & early modern threads, I figured I'd start a topic for the 2018 rhetoric & composition applicants.

What are you interested in studying? Where did you apply? How are you handling waiting?

It feels like the majority of active users under "Lit and Comp/Rhet" are Literature, so I'm happy to see this thread. I'm applying to PhD programs. My interests include composition pedagogy, second-language acquisition, ESL, and writing program administration.

I haven't heard back from any programs yet, but I think Wisconsin and Ohio State are implied rejections at this point because of all of the acceptances that went out this week. I feel really torn  between wanting to be accepted somewhere and wanting to stay in my current teaching position/location. 

Are you MA or PhD @mk-8

2 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

I haven't heard back from any programs yet, but I think Wisconsin and Ohio State are implied rejections at this point because of all of the acceptances that went out this week. I feel really torn  between wanting to be accepted somewhere and wanting to stay in my current teaching position/location. 

It is my understanding that Wisconsin Literature and Wisconsin Rhet/Comp notify at different times. At OSU, they are housed under the same program. At Wisconsin, Rhet/Comp is a stand alone program. :)

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

It is my understanding that Wisconsin Literature and Wisconsin Rhet/Comp notify at different times. At OSU, they are housed under the same program. At Wisconsin, Rhet/Comp is a stand alone program. :)

Ok, so I'll write off OSU but not Wisconsin quite yet. ;)

5 minutes ago, Warelin said:

This is my understanding as well, and I'm so glad you agree. I'm waiting on Wisconsin for rhet/comp and I just had a mini heart attack reading that. :unsure: 

@Wooshkuh FWIW I'm expecting to hear from Wisconsin in the next week or so, based on previous years' results. 

4 minutes ago, bumbleblu said:

@Wooshkuh FWIW I'm expecting to hear from Wisconsin in the next week or so, based on previous years' results. 

Well, Wisconsin is probably the school that I would quit my job/move for... so I'll keep hold of that glimmer of hope. 

33 minutes ago, katie64 said:

I applied for strictly MA programs, but all the programs are either rhet/comp concentrations or as just somewhat flexible and have the opportunity to take rhet/comp classes rather than just lit classes. I applied to Purdue, Louisville, Utah, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Virginia Tech. :)

Virginia Tech has an English/rhetoric MA? I know they have the PhD program (I almost applied, because I'm from the area), but didn't realize they had an MA. Cool!

5 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

It feels like the majority of active users under "Lit and Comp/Rhet" are Literature, so I'm happy to see this thread. I'm applying to PhD programs. My interests include composition pedagogy, second-language acquisition, ESL, and writing program administration.

Are you MA or PhD @mk-8

Yeah- it always feels like most people are literature. Everyone is lovely, of course, but I'm always curious about fellow R/C people! I'm applying to PhD programs (I'm finishing up my MA now), hoping to study digital rhetorics & literacy, games studies, and WPA as well. I feel you on "wanting to stay and wanting to leave," I'm torn between wanting to stay at or leave my MA school. I like it here, but I've been told by a couple people I should leave to increase career opportunities and such. Everything feels so abstract, though, because I know I'll probably be waiting another 2 weeks or so to hear from anywhere.

5 minutes ago, bumbleblu said:

This is my understanding as well, and I'm so glad you agree. I'm waiting on Wisconsin for rhet/comp and I just had a mini heart attack reading that. :unsure: 

Indeed! Based on the data I have, they like notifying during the last week of January. :)

10 minutes ago, maengret said:

I applied to MA programs. I’m interested in studying the use of personal narratives in social justice movements. I applied to Saint Louis, Louisville, Iowa State, Purdue, and Oregon State.

Welcome! That sounds interesting! I applied to Purdue and Iowa State, too (for PhD). Did you apply to Iowa States RPC program?

4 minutes ago, katie64 said:

@mk-8, no, unfortunately they do not have a rhet/comp MA, but they have a more flexible program with opportunities to take classes in creative writing, rhet/comp, & lit - they're not strictly lit-based. 

Oh- awesome! I love Virginia Tech; my sister is there now, it's a lovely school. 

58 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

Virginia Tech has an English/rhetoric MA? I know they have the PhD program (I almost applied, because I'm from the area), but didn't realize they had an MA. Cool!

Yeah- it always feels like most people are literature. Everyone is lovely, of course, but I'm always curious about fellow R/C people! I'm applying to PhD programs (I'm finishing up my MA now), hoping to study digital rhetorics & literacy, games studies, and WPA as well. I feel you on "wanting to stay and wanting to leave," I'm torn between wanting to stay at or leave my MA school. I like it here, but I've been told by a couple people I should leave to increase career opportunities and such. Everything feels so abstract, though, because I know I'll probably be waiting another 2 weeks or so to hear from anywhere.

I did my MA at the same school that I went to for undergrad, but then I moved across the country for my husband to pursue his MA. I totally understand the comfort aspect of staying at the same school. However, everyone is so against "inbreeding" when it comes to going to the same school for all of your degrees. 

You didn't mention which schools you are applying to @mk-8

Edited by Wooshkuh
typo

@katie64 @maengret: It looks like we have Purdue in common. The last email I received from Purdue said, "we make offers of admission over the course of several months beginning in early February and ending in mid-April, and candidates may receive admission or rejection notices at any time during that period (even, occasionally, as late as the April 15 national deadline)." So, it really feels like a waiting game with them. 

5 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

I did my MA at the same school that I went to for undergrad, but then I moved across the country for my husband to pursue his MA. I totally understand the comfort aspect of staying at the same school. However, everyone is so against "inbreeding" when it comes to gong to the same school for all of your degrees. 

You didn't mention which schools you are applying to @mk-8

Yeah- I don't quite get it. I know some professors who did BA, MA, and PhD at the same school, others who were all different, and others who did MA + PhD at the same school.... That is to say, who freaking knows!

I've applied to Clemson (where I am now), UT Austin, Texas Tech, Purdue, Washington State, Iowa State, and NC State. I've already got a rejection from MSU- which is fine, because I anticipated it & I'm not sure if I could survive in Michigan, but a rejection nonetheless.

2 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

@katie64 @maengret: It looks like we have Purdue in common. The last email I received from Purdue said, "we make offers of admission over the course of several months beginning in early February and ending in mid-April, and candidates may receive admission or rejection notices at any time during that period (even, occasionally, as late as the April 15 national deadline)." So, it really feels like a waiting game with them. 

yeah- Purdue has one of those "invisible waitlists" where you can literally hear from them whenever.

On 1/25/2018 at 1:47 PM, mk-8 said:

yeah- Purdue has one of those "invisible waitlists" where you can literally hear from them whenever.

The following schools have been mentioned to have invisible or unofficial waitlists in the past:
Georgetown
Purdue
Wisconsin
Penn State

4 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

& I'm not sure if I could survive in Michigan, but a rejection nonetheless.

I grew up in North Dakota, but have been living in California for the last three years. I don't know if I want to deal with winter again (I assume that's what you mean).

So, I'm not saying that I only applied to Purdue because of Purdue OWL (there are some POIs that I would love to work with and they have ESL/WPA secondary interest options)... but wouldn't it be amazing to work for Purdue OWL??? 

14 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

I grew up in North Dakota, but have been living in California for the last three years. I don't know if I want to deal with winter again (I assume that's what you mean).

Yeah- I've always been in the southeast, so the cold isn't something I'm particularly fond of :ph34r:

I applied only to MA programs, and only one of my applications is for rhet/comp, the rest lit. I wanted to apply to both Louisville and NC State for rhet/comp, but I ran out of application money and picked NC State out of the two. I haven't heard from them yet and likely won't for a while as I believe their app deadline is actually really late at Feb. 1

Broadly, I am interested in identity development through online writing on niche forums like political forums, gaming forums, and grad school forums like this one. More specifically, I want to work with the intersection of political, racial, and religious identities on extremist forums like white nationalist and neo-Nazi websites and forums. I am also interested in the visual rhetoric of memes in spreading extremist ideologies.

Edited by Cotton Joe

3 minutes ago, Cotton Joe said:

Only one of my applications is for rhet/comp, the rest lit. I wanted to apply to both Louisville and NC State for rhet/comp, but I ran out of application money and picked NC State out of the two. I haven't heard from them yet and likely won't for a while as I believe their app deadline is actually really late at Feb. 1

Broadly, I am interested in identity development through online writing on niche forums like political forums, gaming forums, and grad school forums like this one. More specifically, I want to work with the intersection of political, racial, and religious identities on extremist forums like white nationalist and neo-Nazi websites and forums. I am also interested in the visual rhetoric of memes in spreading extremist ideologies.

Are you applying to MAs?