5 minutes ago, Cotton Joe said:

Yes, only to MA. I forgot to put that in my OP, but I just I added it.

No worries! If you hadn't run out of money, I would suggest the MA at Clemson. Your interests would fit right in here. 

For anyone who applied to the MA at Louisville, did they ask you to indicate your area of concentration on  your app? They didn't on mine, and I had emailed them prior expressing interests in taking classes in both rhet/comp and creative writing (I have a few publications and it's definitely a big area of interest of mine), so they encouraged me to send a creative writing sample as well. My SOP clearly indicates I'm also interested in rhet/comp, so hopefully they take that into account...

So happy to see a Rhet/Comp thread! I graduated with my MA in English with an emphasis in Tech Comm at UNC Charlotte, where I currently teach as a Lecturer. After briefly practicing tech comm at two different financial institutes, I can say that teaching and studying rhetoric/tech comm is ALL that I want to do.

My interests include wearable tech, post-humanism, eco-feminism, and early modern manuscripts (I help with transcription groups for the Folger as a crowd-sourcing tech comm project).

Here is my application list.

University Program
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee Professional and Technical Writing
University of South Florida Rhetoric and Composition
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities Rhetoric, Scientific, and Technical Communication
Clemson Rhetorics, Communication, and Information Design
Purdue Rhetoric and Composition
Penn State Rhetoric and Composition
UC Berkeley Rhetoric

I submitted all of my applications on Nov. 7th, and I've been patiently waiting  up until about a week ago. I am in full obsession mode now!

@Wabbajack: I identify with you so much! I am also currently a Lecturer (UC San Diego) and I submitted all of my apps on October 31. I pushed all of this out of my mind until this week because the wait has already been so long.

@Wooshkuh Yes! I had it so, so well repressed up until recently. It's like Pandora's box. Once I let myself start thinking about it, alllllll of the obsessive behavior came flying out.

I saw people were hearing back from Minnesota, who has a wearables lab (INCREDIBLE!),  and totally freaked out until I realized it was for the English Lit program.

54 minutes ago, Wabbajack said:

So happy to see a Rhet/Comp thread! I graduated with my MA in English with an emphasis in Tech Comm at UNC Charlotte, where I currently teach as a Lecturer. After briefly practicing tech comm at two different financial institutes, I can say that teaching and studying rhetoric/tech comm is ALL that I want to do.

My interests include wearable tech, post-humanism, eco-feminism, and early modern manuscripts (I help with transcription groups for the Folger as a crowd-sourcing tech comm project).

Here is my application list.

University Program
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee Professional and Technical Writing
University of South Florida Rhetoric and Composition
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities Rhetoric, Scientific, and Technical Communication
Clemson Rhetorics, Communication, and Information Design
Purdue Rhetoric and Composition
Penn State Rhetoric and Composition
UC Berkeley Rhetoric

I submitted all of my applications on Nov. 7th, and I've been patiently waiting  up until about a week ago. I am in full obsession mode now!

Hiya! If you have any questions about Clemson, feel free to PM me. I'm here now in the MA program and know quite a bit about the PhD program.

You and @Wooshkuh having your apps done so early is certainly admirable! I only had the Clemson app done around then. The rest were turned in much closer to deadlines, lol.

Me! I applied to a kind of embarrassingly odd set of schools for R/C PhD (some bad fits) because I had no idea what I was doing until WELL into the app process, but my interests are composition pedagogy, health narratives, comp teaching in K-12, and WPA. I also screwed up and applied to one PhD that requires an MA, soooo as of this morning I'm now applying for the MA there instead. Coincidentally my wallet is $20 lighter.

Edited by turtleducks

ahh haha like I said I feel embarrassed about it because now that I look back, the fit doesn't really make sense at some of these places, or they're insane reaches. I applied to a few UCs (I'm also in California), UT Austin, University of Kansas, Northeastern, and Ball State (MA).

Edited by turtleducks

56 minutes ago, turtleducks said:

ahh haha like I said I feel embarrassed about it because now that I look back, the fit doesn't really make sense at some of these places, or they're insane reaches. I applied to a few UCs (I'm also in California), UT Austin, University of Kansas, Northeastern, and Ball State (MA).

I really wanted to apply to a program in California, but none of them quite worked out. Honestly, I don't think I want to leave the ocean/weather/politics. 

Also, I looked at Kansas, but I'm still a bit frustrated that they accepted me off of the waitlist after April 15th (when I applied to MA programs a few years ago). 

Hey, anyone here the person who got a call today from Oregon State’s rhet/comp program? Congrats! Did you also receive a funding offer?

12 hours ago, katie64 said:

For anyone who applied to the MA at Louisville, did they ask you to indicate your area of concentration on  your app? They didn't on mine, and I had emailed them prior expressing interests in taking classes in both rhet/comp and creative writing (I have a few publications and it's definitely a big area of interest of mine), so they encouraged me to send a creative writing sample as well. My SOP clearly indicates I'm also interested in rhet/comp, so hopefully they take that into account...

@katie64 I’d have to double check, but I don’t think so. [edit: just checked, and no, there wasn’t a place to indicate Rhetoric concentration. I addressed in my SOP, too.]

13 hours ago, mk-8 said:

Welcome! That sounds interesting! I applied to Purdue and Iowa State, too (for PhD). Did you apply to Iowa States RPC program?

@mk-8 Yes! Purdue is a long shot for me, I don’t have great GREs and my undergrad is from a school that doesn’t do grades so I don’t have an undergrad GPA

13 hours ago, Wooshkuh said:

@katie64 @maengret: It looks like we have Purdue in common. The last email I received from Purdue said, "we make offers of admission over the course of several months beginning in early February and ending in mid-April, and candidates may receive admission or rejection notices at any time during that period (even, occasionally, as late as the April 15 national deadline)." So, it really feels like a waiting game with them. 

@Wooshkuh yeah, the waiting may may do me in ;) But, I had to try. It seemed like all the programs I looked at, their faculty is comprised of at least 30% PhDs from Purdue. 

Edited by maengret

5 hours ago, maengret said:

@mk-8 Yes! Purdue is a long shot for me, I don’t have great GREs and my undergrad is from a school that doesn’t do grades so I don’t have an undergrad GPA

Doesn't do grades? That's interesting. Is everything just pass/fail? Are you interested in studying that system of evaluation long term?

7 hours ago, maengret said:

@Wooshkuh yeah, the waiting may may do me in ;) But, I had to try. It seemed like all the programs I looked at, their faculty is comprised of at least 30% PhDs from Purdue. 

I think (historically) Purdue has one of the oldest and had one of the largest rhet-comp programs. It's a great program but the size and history somewhat accounts for their representation in the field. If memory serves correctly, Purdue and Carnegie  Mellon's programs were both created in 1980. There were a few rhet comp programs before this but the majority of them were created much later.

Edited by Warelin

I applied to PhD programs at Michigan State, Ohio State, Syracuse, Nebraska-Lincoln, Urbana Champaign, Miami & Amherst. My interests are really varied (my MA is in English-Writing, but the program doesn't offer any rhet comp courses and I'm still learning about the field), but I'm interested in cultural rhetoric, writing centers and writing programs, and composition pedagogy. So far, I've been accepted at MSU and OSU. 

3 hours ago, mk-8 said:

Doesn't do grades? That's interesting. Is everything just pass/fail? Are you interested in studying that system of evaluation long term?

It never occurred to me to study it, but I’m not sure it would interest me. There aren’t many schools that don’t do grades, and among them most offer some kind of equivalent for grade school applications. (Not mine!)

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

I think (historically) Purdue has one of the oldest and had one of the largest rhet-comp programs. It's a great program but the size and history somewhat accounts for their representation in the field. If memory serves correctly, Purdue and Carnegie  Mellon's programs were both created in 1980. There were a few rhet comp programs before this but the majority of them were created much later.

That makes sense. Can’t say I noticed a similar trend with CMU credentials, though. 

3 minutes ago, Warelin said:

CMU is a really tiny program though. I think historically they've capped ph.d acceptances at 3-4. :)

Not a R/C person, but CMU has capped the Lit program to 3 PhDs this year (and it sounded to me like they've been doing that for a while) - I'd guess that they've done that with the R/C PhDs? Apologies if I'm totally off on that, lol. 

55 minutes ago, midwest-ford said:

I applied to PhD programs at Michigan State, Ohio State, Syracuse, Nebraska-Lincoln, Urbana Champaign, Miami & Amherst. My interests are really varied (my MA is in English-Writing, but the program doesn't offer any rhet comp courses and I'm still learning about the field), but I'm interested in cultural rhetoric, writing centers and writing programs, and composition pedagogy. So far, I've been accepted at MSU and OSU. 

Congrats on the acceptances @midwest-ford! Syracuse's Composition and Cultural Rhetoric program seems really special. They only accept like 3-4 too. 

Side note: The waiting is killing me! It has just been radio silence. 

My rhet/comp people <3 

I'm currently applying to PhD programs. I'm interested in the intersections of cultural and digital rhetorics especially in the context of digital storytelling. I'm currently at MSU WRAC and have been doing research on food rhetorics, identity formation, and literacy practices online. I'm also interested in visual rhetorics, multimodal composing, and technical writing. Similar to most MAs, I've got a lot of interests that seem a bit all over the place. I really feel like a cultural rhetoric lens is valuable for digital humanities research and that's where I see my future projects. Since I've been able to study cultural rhetorics quite a bit at MSU, I'm hoping to focus more on digital rhetorics in my PhD. I'm looking for programs with opportunities to teach technology-focused classes (like technical writing, professional writing, or user experience and design) and collaborate digital rhetoric/digital humanity projects to join. 

My requirements for programs were that it had to be a rhet/comp degree (not a lit degree with a few rhet/comp classes), and that there had to be scholars open to both digital and cultural rhetorics (not all people in the field recognize or support those methods). My husband is also applying this year (not for rhet/comp, but for biomathematics and physics) so we also narrowed down to programs he was interested in and that we believed were a good fit for us. We also agreed that we would prefer to move South rather than further North, bc I hate the cold (or else I would totally apply to Michigan Tech). Oh and we only picked schools in lower-cost of living area with at least decent stipend histories. 

We're applying to the following programs:

Michigan State

Florida State University

Virginia Tech

Georgia State University

Miami (of Ohio)

Texas Christian University

I'm dying bc according to most results, most of my programs will be notifying mid-February- March so I've got some waiting to do. 

Got an email from WSU that my application is complete and they hope to have decisions by late Feb-mid April.... oh my this waiting is driving me insane.

23 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

@renea: Good luck ! My husband and I were planning on applying together, but he had a change of heart about pursuing a PhD. This process is stressful enough without having to worry for two! 

Thank you! I very much agree that it was stressful, but my husband took two gap years while I finished my MA up and was ready to head back. He's thrilled with the acceptance right off the bat, as he had a stressful application season two years ago.

4 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

Got an email from WSU that my application is complete and they hope to have decisions by late Feb-mid April.... oh my this waiting is driving me insane.

At this point, I'd be happy with a rejection notification. I just want something