1 hour ago, Wooshkuh said:

I emailed Syracuse back with an open availability range on a few days, but they didn't reply back today. I'm now worried that they will just randomly call me, which is freaking me out. I assumed it would be at a set time. 

They can't do that, right? That's cruel and unusual.

39 minutes ago, EspritHabile said:

To be perfectly honest, I was worried that I would go 0/5 and then have to break the news to my LOR people. Getting that first acceptance from OSU blew my mind, and the other acceptances have felt equally stunning to me. It's absolutely an embarrassment of riches, and I am not sure how I will make my final decision. 

All five of the programs I applied to are good fits for my interests--which is the main reason that I only applied to 5. The tricky thing is that some of them are better fits for certain aspects of my interests than others. School A is a really strong fit for X, but School B is the best fit for Y and School C is a solid fit for Z. I don't know how to compare those aspects and choose "The Right Choice." I'm hoping that visits and phone calls will help to clarify things. I also need to talk to the folks in my corner and get their perspectives. 

And I have to say that I feel 10,000% like a jerk for getting good news while others are waiting (for good news to arrive. soon! I am rooting for all of you!). I have equally painful cases of imposter syndrome and survivor's guilt. 

Have you been able to work out the Purdue visit (I hope so!)?

3 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

Hope it works out for you! 

Thanks! How's your week going so far?

(I feel like there must be shellacking going on or I'm hijacking the thread...)

I did get an email invitation to a UNCG open house that is very clearly marked for people who are considering applying. That got me all excited for one moment and then horrified that maybe that was a sign that my application hadn't submitted correctly.

Visitation shellacked!

29 minutes ago, EspritHabile said:

Thanks! How's your week going so far?

(I feel like there must be shellacking going on or I'm hijacking the thread...)

I did get an email invitation to a UNCG open house that is very clearly marked for people who are considering applying. That got me all excited for one moment and then horrified that maybe that was a sign that my application hadn't submitted correctly.

Visitation shellacked!

So far, nothing this week. The rest of the schools I'm waiting to hear from could literally notify from now until mid-March, so something could literally come out of nowhere at this point, lol.

That's kind of cruel to send out. I find it funny how programs word things in emails and such, especially since we're all studying words. I don't know much about UNCG's English/rhetoric programs, but I do know my ex is in the communication department for his MA and I met a bunch of lovely communication professors when we visited together (lol)

5 minutes ago, EspritHabile said:

Aw, shit. Forgot where I was. I blame the grading. 

Next thread idea: how to not go f*%king crazy while grading. I have 42 students this semester and am currently 1/3 done with grading their first papers... It feels like some mountain I can't climb because I'm wearing flip flops.

26 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Give 'em all A's and attribute it to the ineluctable Grade Inflation force. 

It'll weigh on my conscious foreeeeeeeever

8 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Well hopefully they did their homework well and you won't have to go through too many red pens tonight... 

Red pens? Psh, grading on paper is soooo last century. 

(If you do grade on paper, hats off to you. I do everything online. No chance I can lose their papers, no having to lug things around, and it’s much easier and faster for me.) (I also use the green highlight option when I highlight things :P)

15 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

Red pens? Psh, grading on paper is soooo last century.

I've tried grading both on my iPad and using the comments feature in Word, and I just can't do it. Maybe that'll change when I'm grading 42 students in a semester, but I find it difficult to transcend my troglodytic ways.  

Edited by FreakyFoucault

22 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I've tried grading both on my iPad and using the comments feature in Word, and I just can't do it. Maybe that'll change when I'm grading 42 students in a semester, but I find it difficult to transcend my troglodytic ways.  

I use our learning management system (canvas) and I REALLY like it. It offers a lot of tools for grading and feeeback (IMO). It also lets me know if students have looked at my feedback, and I spend a loooooot of time on feedback (more than I should), so it’s nifty. 

3 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

I use our learning management system (canvas) and I REALLY like it. It offers a lot of tools for grading and feeeback (IMO). It also lets me know if students have looked at my feedback, and I spend a loooooot of time on feedback (more than I should), so it’s nifty. 

Very interesting! The year after I graduated, my school switched from Blackboard to Canvas, so I never got to use it! Now I'm jelly!!!

2 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Very interesting! The year after I graduated, my school switched from Blackboard to Canvas, so I never got to use it! Now I'm jelly!!!

I used Blackboard in undergrad, and I like Canvas a lot better. There’s plenty of kinks, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a pretty nice tool. One thing I do hate is that my students message me on Canvas instead of emailing me a lot, and it’s a bit of a hassle to go through Canvas to respond instead of email (first world problems much?!) 

4 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

One thing I do hate is that my students message me on Canvas instead of emailing me a lot, and it’s a bit of a hassle to go through Canvas to respond instead of email (first world problems much?!) 

Canvas doesn't integrate internal messages with e-mail? That sounds kind of silly... 

5 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Canvas doesn't integrate internal messages with e-mail? That sounds kind of silly... 

Kind of, they’re all forwarded to my email, but I have to reply in Canvas. Canvas says I can respond directly to the email, but it’s a 50-50 shot that’ll go through, so I don’t chance it anymore. 

8 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

Canvas says I can respond directly to the email, but it’s a 50-50 shot that’ll go through, so I don’t chance it anymore. 

Now where would the fun be in an expensive system working 100% of the time?? 

6 minutes ago, ltr317 said:

Some schools have brownie and spanky points.

Well, in lieu of pluses and minuses, my school did award gold stars on the high-achieving student's forehead. 

Edited by FreakyFoucault

6 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Now where would the fun be in an expensive system working 100% of the time?? 

Well, in lieu of pluses and minuses, my school did award gold stars on the high-achieving student's forehead. 

Good idea.  They could high step around campus and shout who's your insert (daddy or mommy) now?