• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Wabbajack said:

Not application related, but is anyone at ATTW? I really wish I was at least attending this year!

No, not I! I didn't end up applying to Cs at all this year.

40 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

No, not I! I didn't end up applying to Cs at all this year.

Me neither! I guess we had other things keeping us busy! But I looked through the ATTW program and recognized so many names! I think it would have been nice to have gone.

1 hour ago, Wabbajack said:

Me neither! I guess we had other things keeping us busy! But I looked through the ATTW program and recognized so many names! I think it would have been nice to have gone.

I'm in super stressed finish my thesis/last semester of MA mode, so I couldn't imagine going now. A lot of Clemson peeps are there *nudge nudge* 

Found out yesterday I got into St. Louis University off the waiting list. I’m happy about this one! My acceptances so far are SLU, and Southern Illinois University Carbondale.  I’m waitlisted at Illinois State and Tennessee, and still have yet to hear from Illinois and Purdue, though Purdue did email me back and said my application was still active.  I assume that means they have an unofficial waiting list. 

As I have mentioned before, I’m older with children.   There was no possibility of us picking up and moving  thousands of miles away.  I applied to the best schools that were close geographically  that I knew,  logistically, I could actually attend. While I wanted to get in to all of them, I think I have some decent options now. 

3 hours ago, Daenerys said:

Found out yesterday I got into St. Louis University off the waiting list. I’m happy about this one! My acceptances so far are SLU, and Southern Illinois University Carbondale.  I’m waitlisted at Illinois State and Tennessee, and still have yet to hear from Illinois and Purdue, though Purdue did email me back and said my application was still active.  I assume that means they have an unofficial waiting list. 

As I have mentioned before, I’m older with children.   There was no possibility of us picking up and moving  thousands of miles away.  I applied to the best schools that were close geographically  that I knew,  logistically, I could actually attend. While I wanted to get in to all of them, I think I have some decent options now. 

I'm not sure if Illinois is sending waitlist notifications. I think they prefer to accept people once spots become available. I'll likely be turning down my spot this week.

7 hours ago, Daenerys said:

Congratulations! SLU is a great school. I'm considering it there. They have an up-and-coming rhetcomp program for sure. Are you visiting the department? I'll be there in early April. 

23 hours ago, Isocrates2.o said:

Congratulations! SLU is a great school. I'm considering it there. They have an up-and-coming rhetcomp program for sure. Are you visiting the department? I'll be there in early April. 

Yes!   I will see you there on the sixth! 

On a totally different note, I am almost done writing a paper about the theories of Angela Bizzell.  I figured, she is still teaching, so why not email her? She emailed me back and we’ve had an interesting exchange. She is super nice. I have no one around who understands how cool this is. I hope you guys do. 

I went to Cs and had a good time! Everything was conveniently located close together, and I was able to meet a bunch of people and catch up with previous professors. And I learned a lot and got some great feedback on my research. 

It is *super* stressful to be trying to finish the MA and now fall behind bc of Cs, though, so meh. 

1 hour ago, klader said:

Hey all! It's been quiet here. How's everyone doing? And has everyone decided? (I haven't... *sigh*) 

Same here, I also haven’t decided. Currently torn between UW and Penn State, and wondering what would happen if I suddently get an acceptance from UIUC (unlikely at this point, but really I wish they’d say something, ANYTHING). 

What keeps you from making your final decision?

2 hours ago, klader said:

Hey all! It's been quiet here. How's everyone doing? And has everyone decided? (I haven't... *sigh*) 

Hanging in there! I'm still awaiting news of waitlist movement before I make any final decisions, and it's starting to feel like I will never be done waiting. 

1 hour ago, bigfluffybearcat said:

Same here, I also haven’t decided. Currently torn between UW and Penn State, and wondering what would happen if I suddently get an acceptance from UIUC (unlikely at this point, but really I wish they’d say something, ANYTHING). 

What keeps you from making your final decision?

Are they both offering similar amounts of funding? Is there a professor you prefer? Is there an area you prefer? 

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

Are they both offering similar amounts of funding? Is there a professor you prefer? Is there an area you prefer? 

Penn State has made sure that they’re not giving me anything (they really made sure I understood this no-chance-for-funding situation lol). I’m on a waitlist for funding at UW, and they seem more open to giving me funding later if not now, perhaps on the second or third year. I have funding until my third year, so UW’s prospect is sensible enough for me.

As for professors, both have at least 2 professors I’d be happy to work with. Penn State has better coursework and overall better support (at lease that’s what it seems like). UW has the more preferred location by a huge margin, plus, they guarantee me a spot all the way to the PhD. However, I’m not sure about their strength in the rhet/comp field. Penn State seems like a better bet academically (but not in everything else).

I’m definitely overthinking everything lol. 

1 hour ago, bumbleblu said:

@Wabbajack I'm telling myself that I'll wait until the first, but we'll see how I'm feeling when I get there. On the one hand I just want it to be over, but on the other I want to know what all my options are before I commit. 

I feel you :( Hang in there! This will all be over soon (I hope!)

7 minutes ago, bigfluffybearcat said:

Penn State has made sure that they’re not giving me anything (they really made sure I understood this no-chance-for-funding situation lol). I’m on a waitlist for funding at UW, and they seem more open to giving me funding later if not now, perhaps on the second or third year. I have funding until my third year, so UW’s prospect is sensible enough for me.

As for professors, both have at least 2 professors I’d be happy to work with. Penn State has better coursework and overall better support (at lease that’s what it seems like). UW has the more preferred location by a huge margin, plus, they guarantee me a spot all the way to the PhD. However, I’m not sure about their strength in the rhet/comp field. Penn State seems like a better bet academically (but not in everything else).

I’m definitely overthinking everything lol. 

I think it's important that you're happy with where ever you're at in order to produce your best work. I turned down a few offers with a better placement rate because I couldn't see myself being happy with living there. If you're stressing about funding, you won't produce your best possible work.

6 hours ago, Warelin said:

I think it's important that you're happy with where ever you're at in order to produce your best work. I turned down a few offers with a better placement rate because I couldn't see myself being happy with living there. If you're stressing about funding, you won't produce your best possible work.

Yeah, I definitely want to second this. I thought UMN would be my pick before I visited the Twin Cities. UMN has a fantastic program and very talented people, but I was struggling in their "unusually warm" weather with borrowed Northern gear. I quickly realized how much of an adjustment that weather would be. I couldn't picture myself being happy there, and I didn't want to make my adjustment into a PhD program that much more difficult. Happiness matters for your quality of life AND your quality of work.

Disclaimer: Everyone is different. I hope someone who doesn't mind the cold takes my spot and appreciates that program for how awesome it is! 

23 hours ago, bumbleblu said:

@Wabbajack I'm telling myself that I'll wait until the first, but we'll see how I'm feeling when I get there. On the one hand I just want it to be over, but on the other I want to know what all my options are before I commit. 

Sending vibes of endurance your way! 

On 3/26/2018 at 11:51 PM, Warelin said:

23 hours ago, Wabbajack said:

Yeah, I definitely want to second this. I thought UMN would be my pick before I visited the Twin Cities. UMN has a fantastic program and very talented people, but I was struggling in their "unusually warm" weather with borrowed Northern gear. I quickly realized how much of an adjustment that weather would be. I couldn't picture myself being happy there, and I didn't want to make my adjustment into a PhD program that much more difficult. Happiness matters for your quality of life AND your quality of work.

Disclaimer: Everyone is different. I hope someone who doesn't mind the cold takes my spot and appreciates that program for how awesome it is! 

Thanks for the input! It’s always nice to have people affirm that ranking and academic merits aren’t everything  

I just wish I could come to the cities myself to better gauge if I’ll be happy living there. I’ve never even been to the US lol.