Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

kpietromica

20 minutes ago, 94AVL said:

I was accepted into UNC yesterday! Really didn't think that would happen. No word on funding from anywhere but Tennessee so far. 

Are you going to go to the Tennessee open house?

4 minutes ago, kpietromica said:

Are you going to go to the Tennessee open house?

Unfortunately I can't attend the open house due to my work schedule. Going to visit another time.

@kpietromica I would not read into it. You got accepted so that means they definitely want and see incredible potential in you. I have been met with such kindness and warmth by different faculty at UW Geography, and I am sure that will be the case for you as well!

After mulling it over, I declined my offers to UW and UBC and have decided to pursue a PhD at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

Best of luck to everyone :)

@kpietromica 

My interests lie in the intersection of urban, social, and transportation geography and GIS. More specifically, I am interested in the social equitability of access to public transportation in cities, but I'm sure my direction will change as I take more coursework and progress into the graduate program.

I am seriously impressed by the Geography program at UTK (which is why I decided to go there!) The department occupies an entire building with four floors and contains amazing facilities (research labs, offices, classrooms), situated in the heart of campus. Coming into my visit, I had few doubts about the academic rigor but I was still wary of its geography. You can probably tell by my username, but I am Chinese-American, so I was hesitant to commit to a program with my preconceptions of the south. For me, I knew committing without visiting was not possible.

What really sold me was the faculty: go on the website and look at the faculty bios; the diversity of faculty and students alike is unlike many other departments and something that I have come to really appreciate. During my visit, the faculty I spoke to were incredibly proud of the different backgrounds and ethnicities represented; iirc nearly half of the department is non-white. I had the opportunity to sit down with seven different professors there and spoke to them at length about not only the academics, but overall life and wellbeing in Knoxville, because the latter was my main concern. I've since reconciled my fears because (1) Knoxville is in a liberal bubble and seems rather inclusive (there was a Woman's Rights march a short while ago; and the education system cultivates diversity and tolerance), (2) it'll only be a few years of my life, (3) the academic opportunities, with 6+ professors specializing in GIS and Oak Ridge National Lab nearby, are simply too lucrative to pass on, and (4) Knoxville is an up-and-coming city with a growing food scene and access to outdoorsy-activities (hiking, rowing, etc.)

Above all, it was the incredibly kind, supportive, and welcoming faculty that really won me over. They were incredibly accommodating and sincere, and their honesty during my personal meetings is something I value greatly. Knowing myself, I am someone who needs a strong support system of professors and mentors to guide me because I am pretty much clueless about the whole grad-school thing; I am the first in my family to even go to college. My potential adviser is also one of the most wonderful people I have ever met in my life and identifying the right adviser was my highest criteria in narrowing down my choices.

Hopefully this is the information you are looking for. Let me know if you'd like me to share some more!

I  similarly applied to UBC and UW for MA and have not heard back. My undergrad advisor told me not to worry since these two schools have not rejected me yet (aka. I dodged the first-wave-rejection bullet).

Also applied to Penn State, York, and UofT and have not heard back. At this point, I will even take a rejection letter just to alleviate some of the waiting anxiety.

17 hours ago, exidwhere said:

I  similarly applied to UBC and UW for MA and have not heard back. My undergrad advisor told me not to worry since these two schools have not rejected me yet (aka. I dodged the first-wave-rejection bullet).

Also applied to Penn State, York, and UofT and have not heard back. At this point, I will even take a rejection letter just to alleviate some of the waiting anxiety.

I am dying for a Penn State SOMETHING. My family is from Pennsylvania and they all want me to move back into the area. Anytime I'm on the phone with them they keep bugging me about it and I want to scream. 

14 minutes ago, indigopierogy said:

I am dying for a Penn State SOMETHING. My family is from Pennsylvania and they all want me to move back into the area. Anytime I'm on the phone with them they keep bugging me about it and I want to scream. 

Right?!?! My family is also in PA and my mom offered to pay for my application in hopes of me ending up back in PA lol. I honestly doubt that I'll get in but would like the family to stop pestering me.

Edited by Shnoztastic

I got accepted to American University, but have yet to hear back on funding. Still waiting to hear from GWU. Even if I get accepted to both, if I don't get funding, I will consider those rejections. 

18 minutes ago, Shnoztastic said:

Right?!?! My family is also in PA and my mom offered to pay for my application in hopes of me ending up back in PA lol. I honestly doubt that I'll get in but would like the family to stop pestering me.

The longer I wait, the less and less sure I'll get in as well. It doesn't help that my parents and family believe that Penn State is the *pinnacle* of education, like the best education I could ever hope for. Pennsyltucky is so weird.

51 minutes ago, indigopierogy said:

So can we assume that if we haven't heard back from the Penn State Ph.D. program yet, its a rejection? There have been two Ph.D. updates on the results page so far, that I've seen.

I don't think you should assume that. I am assuming the two results are first-first wave acceptance (people who Penn State really really wants). They should be sending out more letters this week. I was looking at last year's discussion and this was the week when most people got their letter. Also, if you applied to the WGSS/Geography dual degree program it might take longer for both departments to make a decision. So don't give up!

Edited by exidwhere

4 hours ago, 94AVL said:

Since a lot of us are starting to get a majority of our acceptances/rejections. Where are you planning to attend? Any struggles with making a decision?

If I don't get into Penn State (and maybe even if I do) University of Kentucky's Geography program is looking really good. Their funding package hasn't come out, but there are a lot of faculty there who I can see myself working with, along with a great WGSS department that I can get a certificate in. It's all about the combo.

1 hour ago, geoclimateman said:

Rejection from TAMU, acceptance from University of Utah (full funding RA) and acceptance from OU (scrambling funds together to offer RA). Still waiting on ASU, CU, and USF. All PhD programs. 

You already heard from Oregon?!