Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

kpietromica

On 2/27/2018 at 9:53 AM, indigopierogy said:

It was an email! I was surprised I didn't have to email him first. But I did follow up the email by saying, "Sorry, I can't make it to AAG either" and I didn't get anything back to that... lol

I'm still waiting ?

Got some responses from few schools' admission staff:

UBC: they sent out their acceptance letters early in Feb. They won't sent out formal rejection letters until late April/early May (aka. graduation). There is not an explicit wait-list.

York: still deciding, should hear by "mid-March" (*I am not sure how to interpret mid-anything anymore b/c Penn State)

I also wrote to Penn State but didn't hear anything back... going to e-mail my POI next. I'll post an update if I get anything from Penn State.

On 2/27/2018 at 12:27 PM, geoclimateman said:

Anybody waiting on Arizona State University and/or University of South Florida? 

Hey there,

Got acceptance from University of South Florida, and I accepted the offer - POI RS if that helps.

59 minutes ago, nycgrad14 said:

Hey there,

Got acceptance from University of South Florida, and I accepted the offer - POI RS if that helps.

Congrats! I still haven't heard anything. POI JC and applied for GA position to mentor a climate-related REU. Have a few offers, so not terribly worried (anymore). Can you say how you were notified? The USF portal is more confusing than others. 

Edited by geoclimateman

On 2/26/2018 at 6:28 PM, indigopierogy said:

I am very seriously considering WVU. They've given me their funding offer, and it's pretty good, though I do need them to clarify a few things. I am flying out to Indiana this week, and we'll see how I like it out there. Their WGSS program is really really good. Kentucky, because their Geography program didn't give me funding, I'm not so sure about taking the WGSS department offer, since I can't get a certificate in Geography, I would only be able to work with their Geography people. 

I know WVU isn't known for their human geography, but I did meet some of the human geography people there, and I think I mesh pretty well with them, even if our research doesn't align *perfectly*. Plus it is much closer to the areas I want to research. 

What are you thinking about? Also, does anyone have any specific advice regarding my predicament?

Cool! Yeah honestly once the offers all come in and you're looking at your real options, its different than what you imagined the decision was going to look like.  For me, I got no funding from USC, still waiting to hear about any sort of funding from UGA (not holding my breath), but I got a full TA stipend and out of state tuition remission for UNCW Geoscience (Masters) and my POI/future advisor's research interests line up with mine the most out of any other professors at the other schools.  Its kind of the one school that doesn't seem to have a huge reputation in Geography, but I think I'm gonna take it because its just the right fit for what I want to do and the funding offer is right there on the table.

I think with WVU you may have had those same feelings I did of "well their X Program isn't top ranked/what they are best at".  I think if you got a good vibe from the human geography faculty there and the research areas are close enough for collaboration/seeking guidance for research methods, then it sounds like one of your best options you have (plus the funding is there).

@kpietromica , I'm going with which university can give me the "most bang for my buck" so to speak. So like, they might not be offering me the most money, but are they giving me a lot of other opportunities? What are their placement rates post graduation? Are the current graduate students really happy there? Is the program itself well funded and respected within the university? 

Those are the questions I'm asking myself as I'm going into the decision making process, and see how each of the schools compare. 

Has any one heard back from either Oregon or Oregon State? I'm thinking the late date isn't a good sign.  I'm fortunate to have offers from a few of my other top choices so aren't too stressed, but just wishing I had all the results as I go into decision making mdoe

On 3/12/2018 at 6:10 PM, qocha_geog said:

Has any one heard back from either Oregon or Oregon State? I'm thinking the late date isn't a good sign.  I'm fortunate to have offers from a few of my other top choices so aren't too stressed, but just wishing I had all the results as I go into decision making mdoe

I heard from Oregon on Thursday. It wasn't good news for me. 

I visited a program over the weekend and now I am so torn!

School A is offering a ton of money—this year. No guarantees for the future. Not well ranked, good POI.

School B is offering less money—guaranteed through PhD. Well ranked, lots of amazing faculty. 

Any thoughts?

School B, unless "less money" is something less than $12-13,000. The funding is an important reason for this recommendation, but so is the fact that school B sounds likely to set you up much better for a job.

I'd go with School B as well. More certain funding will eliminate one potential stressor you'll face through your program, and the program's high ranking and faculty will better position you to compete successfully for a job once you're on the market.