Fall 2018 Admissions_ Agricultural Economics

Natalie_cain

To be more clear, MSU is RA while OSU is fellowship with no work requirements. After factoring in taxes and other deductions, the stipends should shake out about equal, even though the cost of living is higher in Columbus (OSU). My interests are primarily in development, specifically Africa and I’m looking to do as much fieldwork overseas as possible. 

First, big congrats!

I would choose MSU for two reasons:

1. I think MSU is stronger in development econ. OSU gets several good faculties in development econ, but the department is more focused on Environmental and resource econ.

2. Though life is easier without doing any RA job lol, I would think RA job as a good preparation for publishing papers and working with professors. And obviously recent years job market candidates from MSU get more publish than those from OSU. 

On 3/5/2018 at 2:26 PM, Tallgirl5165 said:

Hey all, wondering if anyone can weigh in on what the perceived strengths/weaknesses are between Michigan State AFRE and Ohio State AEDE. Which would you choose and why?

I can say that it depends on your interests. I'm currently at MSU AFRE, who do you want to work with at MSU and what are your research interests? I know less of OSU

On 3/5/2018 at 2:30 PM, Tallgirl5165 said:

To be more clear, MSU is RA while OSU is fellowship with no work requirements. After factoring in taxes and other deductions, the stipends should shake out about equal, even though the cost of living is higher in Columbus (OSU). My interests are primarily in development, specifically Africa and I’m looking to do as much fieldwork overseas as possible. 

Msu is great for development and depending on who you work with there are plenty of opportunities to work in Africa. 

Thanks so much for the input!! I have a call with Dr. Myers tomorrow afternoon to discuss. They’ve assigned me initially to work with Dr. Mark Skidmore for the RA position. I’m leaning very heavily towards MSU at this point. My biggest holdback is just the lifestyle in East Lansing vs Columbus. I lived in NYC but now live in Senegal, West Africa though so I think I can handle just about anywhere in between! Although I agree having no work responsibilities might be helpful, I’d like the « built in » research exposure so to speak.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...