Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

11 hours ago, Warelin said:

Might be an OSU waitlist? Nobody here seems to be reporting that. 

I'm hoping. I'm also entertaining the dream that the first acceptances were those who get the bigger funding packages, and that another round of acceptances will come through for the base packages. Unlikely, but it's a nice thought.

I have to confess that after having this song stuck in my head since @FreakyFoucault suggested this title, I finally just HAD to listen to it. I also have to confess that my first real concert as a child was the Backstreet Boys. Pretty sure I haven’t listen to this song since that concert. I kinda enjoy it, actually...

1 hour ago, punctilious said:

I have to confess that after having this song stuck in my head since @FreakyFoucault suggested this title, I finally just HAD to listen to it. I also have to confess that my first real concert as a child was the Backstreet Boys. Pretty sure I haven’t listen to this song since that concert. I kinda enjoy it, actually...

I'm pretty sure that all of the lyrics are still stowed away in the back of my brain somewhere. Every time I read the title of this thread, some of them surface and I sing to myself. 

1 hour ago, punctilious said:

This was my first break-up song! Without a doubt, it eased a young FreakyFoucault’s adolescent pain. 

*calls Wisconsin and sings them this song*

Seriously though, acceptance/rejection notifications always go out in January for Wisconsin. This year, there are three acceptances on the board and silence in regards to rejections! My heart!

1 hour ago, Wooshkuh said:

*calls Wisconsin and sings them this song*

Seriously though, acceptance/rejection notifications always go out in January for Wisconsin. This year, there are three acceptances on the board and silence in regards to rejections! My heart!

Wisconsin Rhet Comp is independent of Wisconsin English though. Traditionally, Wisconsin Rhet Comp notifies the Monday after English does. :)

7 minutes ago, pronountrouble said:

long time listener, first time caller, here to say I am DYING waiting for boston college to post their results--they usually send out acceptances the last friday of january buuuuut nada. not sure if I should be frustrated or just bummed.

Waiting on Boston College here as well!!

45 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Wisconsin Rhet Comp is independent of Wisconsin English though. Traditionally, Wisconsin Rhet Comp notifies the Monday after English does. :)

Well, I'm looking forward to waking up to a rejection on Monday then!

Barely any of the results specify composition and rhetoric. Nearly everyone just lists "English PhD" for Wisconsin. Thanks for the info! I couldn't get that from the results board. 

9 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

Well, I'm looking forward to waking up to a rejection on Monday then!

Barely any of the results specify composition and rhetoric. Nearly everyone just lists "English PhD" for Wisconsin. Thanks for the info! I couldn't get that from the results board. 

I think you misspelled 'acceptance'. :)

1 hour ago, pronountrouble said:

long time listener, first time caller, here to say I am DYING waiting for boston college to post their results--they usually send out acceptances the last friday of january buuuuut nada. not sure if I should be frustrated or just bummed.

I'm waiting on Boston College as well, I'm just hoping that they didn't already notify accepted applicants but the admits just didn't report on Grad Cafe? I don't know, that's worst case scenario, so it's probably (hopefully) not that. Maybe they're just running a little late this year! Do we know if they usually call or email or update the website?  

Oracle/Peoplesoft error when I try to log into Ohio State's system: "This is not a valid time to access the system. Click here to see hours of availability." 

Don't they know that I need to obsessively check for updates at 11pm Pacific on a Saturday night? Just give me the official rejection OSU! I know all of the acceptances went out last week! 

i keep seeing people getting accepted into the U of M (MN) Comp. Lit and I'm coming to terms that Im probably not going to get in and i don't know what to do with this year if I don't get in (a small part of me still thinks its possible) 

@M(allthevowels)H I applied to French and Comparative Literature at Columbia, and people have started to hear back for interviews, so that's a no to me. Why would they not admit to their unfunded French MA program though? Columbia is notorious for its overpriced MA programs. Oh well. 

Edited by frenchlover

@frenchlover ah, I gotcha. But yeah, you're probably going to get that offer. Which means you get to make the empowering decision of weighing world class prestige against...ever eating again. 

(Everyone's financial situation is different, and going would be a no-brainer for those who could make it work financially, so absolutely no criticism to those who exercise that option. I just quite like food and would have to choose.)

While I am every person here who sees other acceptances coming in as proof that I’m not going to get into X school, I do feel the need to point out that just because people are getting in to those programs right now—doesn’t mean they’ll actually go to that program. Here’s to hoping I’m a second or third round pick!

5 minutes ago, jpbends said:

NYU doesn't typically release decisions until the second week of February or so. I wouldn't worry about that. I currently go to NYU and have spoken to a couple of my professors (who have sat/sit on admissions committees), and they've told me they're reviewing at the moment. That might have been just to make me feel better, though.

I seriously doubt if @msmith1381 was applying to English PhD programs with Albert Einstein and Weill Cornell on her list, but who knows for sure?