Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

50 minutes ago, Melville said:

I was invited (as were 12  other people) to a "top applicant" day at Northeastern with meals and presentations and, we found out when we got there, several interviews with faculty and heads of dept; on Fri I found out I am wait-listed. Disappointed. Being a great school in a great city I am supposing that they won't be utilizing the wait-list. 

That is unnecessarily savage on their part

AAAAANNNd a Fordham rejection wraps it up for me! Absolutely thrilled and so fortunate to be going to UConn next year! Good luck to those still waiting to make decisions!!

Off to check the schedule for the women's b-ball tournament!

36 minutes ago, melian517 said:

Finally got that Berkeley rejection email. Knew it was coming for a while but it's just nice to have that door officially shut.

I agree! I hate that they release admissions like this. 

42 minutes ago, melian517 said:

Finally got that Berkeley rejection email. Knew it was coming for a while but it's just nice to have that door officially shut.

I got my rejection exactly a week ago. Did they really take that long to send out all their rejections?? 

20 minutes ago, la_mod said:

I agree! I hate that they release admissions like this. 

I know! It adds so much unnecessary anxiety to the process.

13 minutes ago, marisawhy said:

I got my rejection exactly a week ago. Did they really take that long to send out all their rejections?? 

Apparently!! You would think they'd just send out the rejections all at once rather than staggering them like this, especially since someone else had posted on here (I can't remember where) that they called and sent out all acceptances and waitlists weeks ago.

18 minutes ago, marisawhy said:

I think it's important to note that Berkeley Rhetoric and English are two separate programs. Unfortunately, rejections always come much later than waitlists and acceptances for most programs.

7 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I think it's important to note that Berkeley Rhetoric and English are two separate programs. Unfortunately, rejections always come much later than waitlists and acceptances for most programs.

Brain fart! I automatically assumed rhetoric. Sorry, my bad!

Edited by marisawhy

Okay. So, I checked Fordham's portal today and noticed that instead of just the single application that I submitted on 1/3, I now have a second application listed that was submitted on 3/13?

Now, I do have insomnia and have been known to sleep walk and talk, but I highly doubt I submitted another grad school application in my sleep. 

So, I can only assume that I have been rejected from the PhD program, and they have forwarded my application to the MA program (though the application "submitted" on 3/13 does not indicate it's for the MA program?). 

Has anyone noticed anything similar?

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

1 hour ago, marisawhy said:

Brain fart! I automatically assumed rhetoric. Sorry, my bad!

Whoops, I just assumed as well! Sorry, and thank you for the correction!!

17 hours ago, nervousrex said:

Okay. So, I checked Fordham's portal today and noticed that instead of just the single application that I submitted on 1/3, I now have a second application listed that was submitted on 3/13?

Now, I do have insomnia and have been known to sleep walk and talk, but I highly doubt I submitted another grad school application in my sleep. 

So, I can only assume that I have been rejected from the PhD program, and they have forwarded my application to the MA program (though the application "submitted" on 3/13 does not indicate it's for the MA program?). 

Has anyone noticed anything similar?

I would think that is a good assumption. Do you have your Masters? I got a rejection on 3/13 and I already have a Masters (in May, anyway!)

Thank you, @LeeLeeCzechIrish. I don't have a Masters. I applied to a mix of MAs and PhDs.

I still haven't heard anything from Fordham (PhD), Stony Brook (PhD), UCSB (PhD), or Cincinnati (MA), and the wait is making me crazy(er). I'm close to breaking down and emailing to request an update. I'm assuming it's rejection for all of the PhDs, but I would still like to know for sure. 

Oh, and congrats on finishing up your Masters @LeeLeeCzechIrish! Nice work!!

And the final result is in: rejected from BU but accepted to their MA with a rather pathetic $10k tuition reduction scholarship. I should probably edit my signature to include the MAs we were sent onto.

What an incredibly strange experience this has been!

1 hour ago, punctilious said:

And the final result is in: rejected from BU but accepted to their MA with a rather pathetic $10k tuition reduction scholarship. I should probably edit my signature to include the MAs we were sent onto.

What an incredibly strange experience this has been!

I think this helps to prove that fit is ultimately, a very weird thing and is not only determined by how well faculty matches, but where the department is hoping to be (which is really an impossible thing to determine in any given year. Applying broadly to schools that have a major interest to you is a very important thing to do as you'll never know where you might fit into a school's puzzle. The ivies have often been said to recruit from the same pool but @punctilious' husband earned 1 acceptance, 1 waitlist, and 1 rejection from the Ivy League and had mixed results elsewhere. It's important to not apply only to top 10 schools, but also to not discount schools just because they are ranked highly. Faculty fit + Institutional goals + class profile all play a much larger role which may be invisible during the whole process to us as applicants.