E. Coronaria

Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

3 hours ago, unicornsarereal said:

Theory: not hearing back tomorrow from Vanderbilt=rejection. Terrible theory to throw onto all of you, but I'm prepping myself for rejection across the board. Going off of the past two years on the results board: positive results have come Jan 30/31.

I'm bracing for that as well. Vanderbilt and Rice are slated to be my first responses. I'm already practicing my best Mariah Carey if they pass me over.. "Vanderbilt? Never heard of her." "Rice? lol that's food."

10 hours ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

I'm bracing for that as well. Vanderbilt and Rice are slated to be my first responses. I'm already practicing my best Mariah Carey if they pass me over.. "Vanderbilt? Never heard of her." "Rice? lol that's food."

I need to practice those as well !

I'm starting to think I'm getting shut out, and am losing my mind!

Not getting into Chicago means I've been shut out by them twice in four years (for undergrad and now for a PhD). Guess it was never meant to be :^/ But that just means that my work is going to be appreciated elsewhere!

A whole slew of UT Austin acceptances on the board, congrats!!! I applied, but I'm not even going to be a little bit surprised if I'm rejected, so I don't feel too bad about it. Although there might be some tears out of sheer exhaustion when I get the official rejection.

I would love to go there for my PhD though since they have faculty that combine some of my specific interests, so I'll definitely apply again.

Edited by turtleducks

3 hours ago, jpbends said:

Officially rejected from UCSD :^(

Hang in there!

While I’m not surprised by the implied Chicago and Boston College rejections (BC was by far the weakest fit), it’ll be more painful to get rejections from here on out!

Who else is waiting on/hoping for a first acceptance?

3 hours ago, punctilious said:

While I’m not surprised by the implied Chicago and Boston College rejections (BC was by far the weakest fit), it’ll be more painful to get rejections from here on out!

Hoping for is an understatement, ha

Assuming an implied rejection from Rice. We'll see. It wasn't the best fit out of my schools, but I was really hoping to have another Texas option to choose from. My sister lives in Houston and it would be so cool to be closer to her. 

In the abyss re. Chicago, UT Austin, and now Duke Literature. UT was a seriously poor fit looking back on it; Chicago smarts a tiny bit; Duke Literature is absolutely crushing. 

On 3/2/2018 at 1:10 PM, punctilious said:

Me, but I'm Spanish lit...haven't gotten rejected yet either though. 

@culturalcriminal I hope neither of us have to worry about applications next autumn ;) 

On 2/3/2018 at 2:06 PM, CulturalCriminal said:

Anyone else already strategizing for next year applications, despite still waiting to hear back from at least one program?

Waiting to hear back from 8, technically (but four of those are implied rejections :^/), but I'm starting to think about next year's application cycle and the job I'm looking to get in the meantime! Do I stay in New York and work in publishing, where I've already established myself through a good half-dozen internships, or do I look into something more academic, possibly elsewhere in the country? Who knows, honestly.

On 2/3/2018 at 7:10 AM, punctilious said:

Present!

Oh dear, anyone else get that ominous email from Stanford about checking your online app at 5:30PST for your decision letter?  This method of turning projected rejections into literal ones is so odd and specific it's....almost funny? :P

17 minutes ago, chellyfish_ said:

Oh dear, anyone else get that ominous email from Stanford about checking your online app at 5:30PST for your decision letter?  This method of turning projected rejections into literal ones is so odd and specific it's....almost funny? :P

Yes! Why did they do it like that!? Can’t wait to see all of the results updates at 5:45....

26 minutes ago, chellyfish_ said:

No?? But I am very glad I just bought a pint of ice cream.

Edit: Ah, it went to spam. Good sign...

Edited by unicornsarereal

2 hours ago, unicornsarereal said:

So, um, Berkeley, I'll take the rejection whenever.

When did the acceptance go up? It looks like in past years they've notified over a few rounds and I imagine we should see a fair amount more acceptances before we enter the spiral!

43 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Womp womp. Rice rejection email. I had lots of doubts about whether it was a good fit, since they're not huge into early modern. First official rejection so far.

Sorry friend. Even if they aren’t good fits or you feel like it’s a long shot, it always hurts to be rejected. 

5 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Rejected at Chicago. He gawn!!! 

Same here! And forwarded onto “Master of Arts Program in the Humanities (MAPH).”